Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Foreign student tracking in works
Miami Herald Online ^ | Friday, October 12, 2001 | SUZANNE GAMBOA

Posted on 10/12/2001 4:30:15 AM PDT by JohnHuang2

Foreign student tracking in works

The INS said its new system could be operational in about a year, sooner than was originally planned. There are about 600,000 foreigners now studying in the United States.
BY SUZANNE GAMBOA
Associated Press

WASHINGTON -- A system for tracking foreign students in America could be up and running in about a year with relatively little money from Congress, immigration commissioner James Ziglar told House members Thursday.

The Immigration and Naturalization Service was ordered in 1996 to develop a database program by Dec. 20, 2003, to keep track of the approximately 600,000 foreign students in the United States.

Ziglar told the House Judiciary immigration subcommittee that INS is on track to meet the deadline, but could beat it by a year with more money. Afterward, INS officials pegged the amount at $36.8 million.
$95 FEE

Once it's operational, the system will be paid for with a $95 fee charged to each foreign student, Ziglar said.

Sens. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., and Christopher Bond, R-Mo., are pushing for background checks for foreign visa applicants and a sophisticated tracking system once they arrive. Feinstein said a computerized monitoring system would cost $32.3 million.

Currently, foreign students provide a form to INS at ports of entry and that information is entered into a database, sometimes months later. The form includes the student's name, country of citizenship, an address, whether the student is full or part-time, course work, degree program, termination date and reasons for termination, and the number of school credits accumulated.

The INS wants an Internet-based system so the information is easily accessible and current. Schools also will be asked to report the student's current address, visa classification and issue date, current academic or program status and any disciplinary action taken against the student.

The Sept. 11 terrorist attacks exposed problems with the system for identifying and tracking foreign students and workers. But even before then, the INS had many critics on Capitol Hill because of its reputation for shoddy record-keeping and poor customer service.

``Way before the events of Sept. 11 and especially since, the status of aliens in our country has been a weighty problem,'' said Rep. George Gekas, R-Pa., who chairs the committee.

Randolph Hite, a director of the General Accounting Office, testified that his auditors have found the INS has been unable to keep track of its technology and control its costs. In some cases, INS couldn't even explain why it had certain technology, said Hite, whose agency is an investigative arm of Congress.

Rep. Sheila Jackson-Lee, D-Texas, cautioned against hastily approving more money for the INS, whose budget has grown from $1.4 billion in 1992 to more than $5 billion in fiscal year 2001.

PAST PROBLEMS

Ziglar, who took over the INS two months ago, has acknowledged past problems but says improvements are being made.

Ziglar said Thursday the INS would like to deploy 1,100 high-tech machines that can provide information on foreigners through fingerprints. The INS already has more than 800 machines in Border Patrol stations and inspection stations beyond the border.

For Education And Discussion Only. Not For Commercial Use.

TOPICS: News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:

1 posted on 10/12/2001 4:30:15 AM PDT by JohnHuang2
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: JohnHuang2
The fox is already in the hen house, a little late to be closing the door, huh? Just deport all the bastards. Does anyone remember someone from the Muslim community stepping forward with a warning? NAH, didn't think so!
2 posted on 10/12/2001 4:39:10 AM PDT by blam
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

If the INS can get anything off the ground in less than a decade, it will be truly amazing.

BTW, I think when this DB initially was planned a few years ago, it was squelched due to the "privacy concerns" of foreign student groups.

3 posted on 10/12/2001 4:40:15 AM PDT by angkor

Once it's operational, the system will be paid for with a $95 fee charged to each foreign student, Ziglar said.

Why don't we charge each individual $95 non refundable fee. Plus 1,000 dollar bond for college visas, that will be returned when your visa expires and you leave!

Hey Government, this isn't rocket science!

4 posted on 10/12/2001 4:43:56 AM PDT by Osprey

To: angkor
Our porous "borders" are a national scandal.

Six thousands Americans were murdered because the spineless cowards we have in Congress are more worried about remaining Politically Correct than they are in our national security and to fidelity to their oaths of office.

5 posted on 10/12/2001 4:49:31 AM PDT by JohnHuang2
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

P.S. #4 Otherwise keep the bast@rds OUT!
6 posted on 10/12/2001 4:53:01 AM PDT by Osprey

To: Osprey
Hey Government, this isn't rocket science!

Q: How many government programmers does it take to change a light bulb?

A: 1600..... one to write up the grant, one to keep the coffee and donuts flowing, 1,598 to stand around and look busy enough for 7 years to justify the huge costs of the project!

7 posted on 10/12/2001 4:54:41 AM PDT by Apple Pan Dowdy
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

To: Osprey
Osprey - Your correct in your thinking, but there shouldn't be any FOREIGN STUDENTS allowed in this Country unless they are our closest Allies, but the should be made to pay individual $95 non refundable fee. In addition, 1,000,000 dollar bond for college visas that will be returned when your visa expires and they leave!
8 posted on 10/12/2001 4:57:52 AM PDT by Slipjack
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

This stuff is mindboggling. You could just cry. "While we slept," indeed. Buchanan is the only one I've heard saying what has to be true: Every terrorist organization in the world ALREADY has at least 100 operatives in the US. The system has been so lax.
9 posted on 10/12/2001 5:01:41 AM PDT by karth

I know we're hearing a lot from our leaders about how we are not supposed to discriminate against Muslims, blah, blah, blah. But my hunch is the only line of defense we can really count on is each other, regular people looking out for their own safety and the safety of people around them and being suspicious of middle easterners who appear to fit the profiles of the hijackers. It will be difficult for Muslims, but so be it.
10 posted on 10/12/2001 5:07:28 AM PDT by karth

I will drink to that, non-alcoholic of course. Congress has neglected their important responsibilities for so long that the nation is seemingly still giving them a pass following 9-11. Remaining comments self censored.
11 posted on 10/12/2001 5:16:30 AM PDT by wita
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: karth
It will be difficult for Muslims, but so be it.

It will be better to send Muslims to an Islamic country, their religion doesn't like them living with infidels, they want all women in robes and veils, they don't believe Western civilization is superior to the Middle Eastern cultures, they believe we are corrupt and zionist, so they should all be happier in a country that lives up to the ideals of the Koran. It's really doing Muslims a favor to send them to countries like Afghanistan or Saudi.

12 posted on 10/12/2001 5:46:56 AM PDT by FITZ
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

The Immigration and Naturalization Service was ordered in 1996 to develop a database program by Dec. 20, 2003, to keep track of the approximately 600,000 foreign students in the United States.

Dear Lord if this isn't an example of ineptitude I don't know what is. Give me the old fashioned Dbase or the more modern Access and I'd have this thing running, quickly efficiently, toute d'suite.

Hey....gubmint....we have COMPUTERS now! With form letters, automatic lookups, links, databases, WHY CAN'T THEY DO THIS?

I *am* a business consultant and have done this very sort of thing, including creating a database to track all AIDS cases for a hospital in Baltimore. It is *not* that damn difficult.

Sure it's a grander scale and you've got all those gubmint agencies with which to interact but give me some good people, put me in charge, in two months I have it done, boom.

I'd have that puppy linking up to whatever bureaucracy issues visas. I'd have a daily report of expired visas with modem links to the universities which are alleged to be attending, boom, click on the link, CALL THEM UP! And if the answer ain't satisfactory, boom, form letter pops out. I'd track the responses and within a programmed period of time, boom, pull the Visas. Send a form letter to the FBI, go out and round them up.

No, I am *not* oversimplifying. Compared to the money and power of the United States government, my abridged plan above is analogous.

I'm serious when I say over and over again, the gubmint CANNOT handle this.

13 posted on 10/12/2001 6:01:38 AM PDT by Pat Fish

Can't Larry Ellison and Oracle volunteer some resources? He was all ready to provide database software and expertise to track natural American citizens, for cryin' out loud! Where's Larry on this one? It's much more immediately important.
14 posted on 10/12/2001 6:34:05 AM PDT by FreedomPoster

To: Pat Fish
Bump for Pat's post above. I've been in that world as well, he's right, it just isn't that hard. Bureucratic ineptitude, lack of accountability, and PC hiring practices conspire to prevent the government from taking the actions required for us to prevail.
15 posted on 10/12/2001 6:36:26 AM PDT by FreedomPoster
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

To: Pat Fish
I know very little about computers but what you say HAS to be right. What can they have been doing for 5 years? These people come over here with student visas and never attend the school and EVERYONE KNEW IT. There was no will to deal with it and I don't trust they won't backslide even now. I found President Bush's 2 remarks about "women of cover" last night very disturbing.
16 posted on 10/12/2001 6:54:40 AM PDT by karth
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

GPS microchip implants for everyone granted a student visa.

Since most "imports" are non-christian, the "mark of the beast" argument is moot.

17 posted on 10/12/2001 7:16:19 AM PDT by Freebird Forever

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson