Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Children 'Horrified' by Pro-Life Talk
The [Newfoundland Canada] Telegram ^ | 10/21/01 | Craig Jackson

Posted on 10/12/2001 7:44:10 PM PDT by madprof98

Some parents of Leary’s Brook junior high students in St. John’s were “horrified” this week to learn their children were subjected to a one-sided presentation by members of the pro-life movement.

The concerned parents, who plan to send a letter expressing their concerns to Avalon East School Board director Brian Shortall, are appalled to learn the school did not review the material prior to the presentation.

Further, the school didn’t ask for parental permission for the children to attend the 90-minute afternoon session. Some parents are equally disgusted about the manner in which John and Gaetanne Hetherington of Longueuil, Que., described an abortion to the grades 7-9 children — 11- to 14-year-olds.

Parents claim the pro-lifers told their children that when abortions occur, the fetus is turned in the womb so that the feet are delivered first. That physicians then reach in, cut the head from the neck and suck the brain out.

Some children placed their hands over their ears while others were reduced to tears by what they heard, a parent said, noting the presenters also showed the students a model of a fetus.

“My son was so horrified and gripped by this story that I don’t think he can get it out of his mind,” a mother said Thursday.

The woman agrees children have to learn the facts of life at some point, “but they do not need to be exposed to what is in fact fear-mongering.”

The presentation on how an abortion takes place isn’t factual, she said.

“This was clearly not appropriate, nor was it fair, nor was it objective, nor did it consider medical, moral, or legal realities in this country.”

Another parent said she was flabbergasted to hear her child associate the word “murder” with abortions. This goes well beyond whether someone is pro-life or not, she said.

She’s also annoyed the pro-life supporters got into the school without any review of the material.

“We are apologizing, we’re accepting full responsibility, we share parents’ concerns that this presentation was not appropriate, (and) a letter of apology is going home to all parents today from the principal of the school,” said Mary Tucker, the school board’s manager of communications.

The board and school officials also plan to take some corrective action to deal with it. If it’s necessary for followup instruction with the students from qualified people, such as a public health nurse or medical professional, it will be done, she said.

The board will also ensure that information being presented to children in the future is “age-appropriate, tasteful and balanced,” she said.

Tucker said material brought into the schools must be reviewed and sanctioned by the board and must be linked to the curriculum.

Tuesday’s presentation was not a well-rounded discussion as was expected, school officials claim, adding the Hetheringtons planned to focus on abortion, drugs, alcohol, leadership and values.

But many admit the afternoon session went off course when the floor was opened up to a question-and-answer session between the Hetheringtons and the students.

So who are the Hetheringtons?

They were in contact with the school before the end of the 2000-2001 school year about making a presentation. School staff claim the couple showed up Tuesday out of the blue from Quebec and wanted to do a presentation.

A parent said school officials could have easily found out about the Hetheringtons using the Internet.

The 100 Huntley Street page clearly shows that the couple appeared on its Sept. 6 show.

They attend Eglise Nouvelle Vie in Longueuil (the New Life Church). The Web site goes on to say “John is an abortion survivor and musician, and Gaetanne, a broadcast journalist.”

It says the couple returned to their Quebec roots “to be planted there in answer to God’s call on their lives, which is to bring the message of revival and the promised harvest of souls through the repentance for the sin of abortion.”

They have spoken to more than 300 churches and schools.

Some parents, meanwhile, have raised concerns to the Newfoundland and Labrador Human Rights Association about Tuesday’s presentation.

‘One-sided’

Jerry Vink, the association’s executive director, said the issue does raise questions of human rights. The Rights of the Child, which was enacted by both the Government of Canada and United Nations, speaks to the appropriateness of education, including “the development of respect for the child’s parents.”

“In human rights one of the things that we recognize is the education of a child should involve the parents and they should be aware of what goes on in the school,” Vink said.

Vink said the activities, which occurred Tuesday, did not — in his opinion — present a message of understanding, peace and tolerance as identified in the Rights of the Child.

“It’s the kind of one-sided, biased views that have no place in the educational process,” he said.

The Telegram could not reach the Hetheringtons Thursday.

TOPICS: Culture/Society; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-8081-89 next last
Sounds like the parents were far more "horrified" than their kids about the material presented. Maybe they were worried their offspring might figure that when the going gets tough, they could do unto their parents as their parents claim they should have been able to do unto them. (Whenever the culture here seems depraved beyond imagination, I just check the Canadian news and feel glad I don't have to raise a family there.)
1 posted on 10/12/2001 7:44:10 PM PDT by madprof98
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: madprof98
Gee, I wonder why abortionists don't go to U.S. schools to "correct the record" by describing what they do to babies. I would think that Planned Parenthood could send some of their abortionists into the public schools to do that - and then the parents wouldn't be so distressed. After all, - our tax dollars go to fund those nice and caring Planned Parenthood providers who receive the corporate welfare we send them (2nd highest source of revenue for PP behind direct fees/blood money for abortions performed). But, perhaps there's just too much money to be made in an hour to let them be gone from the abortuary to do "public service" work like that.

I don't suppose I should give them any ideas. After all, it would be a great marketing tool to plant the seeds of abortion into the minds of the next buying generation.

2 posted on 10/12/2001 7:54:24 PM PDT by anniegetyourgun
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

"...“My son was so horrified and gripped by this story that I don’t think he can get it out of his mind,” a mother said Thursday..."

Good.

No matter how you propagandize him now, the horror of what it is that you support is etched into his mind.

In the long run, you've lost him.

3 posted on 10/12/2001 7:55:38 PM PDT by DWSUWF

Man, does the truth ever *hurt*, eh???
4 posted on 10/12/2001 7:59:05 PM PDT by WOSG

Yeah, that was one sided and a misrepresentative of abortion procedures.

They forgot chopping up babies in the second trimester and burning them to death with chemical solutions in the first trimester.

There. That should clear up the picture for the kids.

5 posted on 10/12/2001 8:02:51 PM PDT by TheErnFormerlyKnownAsBig

Another parent said she was flabbergasted to hear her child associate the word ?murder? with abortions. This goes well beyond whether someone is pro-life or not, she said.

Well, to say it in Canadian..."Truth hurts, eh?"

}:-)4

6 posted on 10/12/2001 8:03:38 PM PDT by Moose4

The board will also ensure that information being presented to children in the future is “age-appropriate, tasteful and balanced,” she said.

Don't see how teaching the facts about abortion could ever be described as tasteful.

7 posted on 10/12/2001 8:05:15 PM PDT by nicotinefiend

Should we show children the horrible images of people falling to their deaths from the World Trade Center to explain to them how awful terrorism is? I think not. In this country, we attempt to preserve the innocence of childhood and we recognize that such terrible things can be traumatizing to children. It is cruel and wrong to expose young children to such things as the horrible images of partial-birth abortions, even if it furthers a cause you believe to be just.
8 posted on 10/12/2001 8:06:17 PM PDT by Eugene Tackleberry

To: Eugene Tackleberry
It is cruel and wrong to expose young children to such things as the horrible images of partial-birth abortions, even if it furthers a cause you believe to be just.

You do realize what you just said, don't you? Are you speaking for the aborted or the live children?

9 posted on 10/12/2001 8:10:12 PM PDT by jwalsh07
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

It is cruel and wrong to expose young children to such things as the horrible images of partial-birth abortions, even if it furthers a cause you believe to be just.

The article says they were junior high. That's grades seven and eight. Some kids start having sex at that age. They should know what they might be producing and what they might be killing.

10 posted on 10/12/2001 8:10:33 PM PDT by RogueIsland

It is cruel and wrong to expose young children to such things as ...

From the article: "grades 7-9 children - 11- to 14-year-olds". Did you read the article, by any chance?

Many of these "young children" are already having sex, by the way.

11 posted on 10/12/2001 8:10:51 PM PDT by Dr. Frank fan

Yeah, it was one-sided
Let's hear about all types of abortion so the young people can get a clearer picture.
12 posted on 10/12/2001 8:11:11 PM PDT by RightWinger

Over 117,000 Americans murdered in abortion (4,500+/day) since September 11 under cover of U.S. law: "

you want to teach them about sex u teach them everything that goes with it... why lie to them.i'm sure they see and hear much worse on t.v. andat the movies and video games...

13 posted on 10/12/2001 8:11:13 PM PDT by classygreeneyedblonde

Jerry Vink (Association Executive Director): "It's the kind of one-sided biased views that have no place in the educational process...(it)does not present a message of tolerance..."

Unbelievable.

Liberal "educators" like Vink have been given carte blanche in brainwashing kids since 1960 regarding politics, sex, and moral relativity, and now this pinhead has the audacity to cry "foul"?? It ain't pretty Vink -- but even Herr Goebbels can't white-wash what abortion really is. "Tolerance" of murder.

14 posted on 10/12/2001 8:12:02 PM PDT by F16Fighter

Oh my! Great Aunt Agatha! Fan my brow! Bring my salts! To think that little delicate Johnny and Jane would be exposed to all this horror! God forbid they should ever know the truth! Poor little innocent things!
15 posted on 10/12/2001 8:12:48 PM PDT by babylonian

If it’s necessary for followup instruction with the students from qualified people

why not get the women who had them and tell them

16 posted on 10/12/2001 8:13:30 PM PDT by classygreeneyedblonde

I agree. This was not appropriate for this age group in a public setting. If parents want to discuss these things with their children at that age that's up to them. It is also inappropriate to discuss birth control and homosexuality at this age in a classroom environment.
17 posted on 10/12/2001 8:14:21 PM PDT by BigBobber

So the govt can give them condems but they cant be told the truth about abortion?! Murder of babies is very real and horribly wrong to those that know the truth. Let teenagers know the truth.
18 posted on 10/12/2001 8:15:12 PM PDT by mysonsfuture

To: DWSUWF
"...“My son was so horrified and gripped by this story that I don’t think he can get it out of his mind,” a mother said Thursday..."

Maybe he'll think twice about knockin' some girl up before he's ready to be a father.

19 posted on 10/12/2001 8:16:19 PM PDT by mdittmar
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

Should we show children the horrible images of people falling to their deaths from the World Trade Center to explain to them how awful terrorism is?

Absolutely, if someone else is teaching that that the attacks were a good thing.

20 posted on 10/12/2001 8:18:01 PM PDT by Sloth

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-8081-89 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson