Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

A Scramble to Counter Any Threat of Smallpox
New York Times ^ | Saturday, October 20, 2001 | MELODY PETERSEN and KEITH BRADSHER

Posted on 10/19/2001 9:00:44 PM PDT by JohnHuang2

October 20, 2001

A Scramble to Counter Any Threat of Smallpox

By MELODY PETERSEN and KEITH BRADSHER

After announcing plans to stockpile 300 million doses of smallpox vaccine, the government must now determine where it can quickly get so much.

Under an existing contract, a small Massachusetts biotechnology company called Acambis (news/quote), which has about 150 employees, will produce 54 million doses. Tommy G. Thompson, secretary of health and human services, said this week that Acambis had agreed to speed production so that those doses could be delivered by next summer.

Mr. Thompson also said he was negotiating with Acambis and three other companies to make the remaining doses, which would be enough for every American in case terrorists tried to use smallpox in a biological attack. The others include Merck & Company (news/quote), one of the largest vaccine makers, and Baxter International (news/quote), which sells some vaccines in Europe. The fourth company was not identified.

"Beginning next week, we'll have meetings with interested pharmaceutical companies," said Anthony T. Jewell, a spokesman for the Department of Health and Human Services. "We'll be sharing information and determining who best can do this for us. This is in the early stages, but we want to do this as quickly and efficiently as possible, while ensuring all safety measures are in place."

The government has about 15 million doses of smallpox vaccine in storage, and it is looking at whether they could be diluted to cover five times that number of people. Those doses were manufactured almost two decades ago, using a technology that would probably not be used today. The method involves infecting calves with vaccinia, a virus related to smallpox.

Acambis is developing a similar vaccine, with more modern methods.

Some vaccine experts questioned yesterday whether the government could count entirely on small companies to make more than 200 million doses quickly.

"A key question is who has the experience making hundreds of thousands, if not millions of doses," said Dr. Bruce Gellin, executive director of the National Network for Immunization Information. "The big drug companies have lots of experience. They know the hurdles."

But in the past, few of the major pharmaceutical companies have been interested in making vaccines for the government. Vaccines are not as profitable as prescription drugs, and some big drug companies have quit the vaccine business.

On Wednesday afternoon, Mr. Thompson met with the top executives of the four largest vaccine manufacturers — all big enough to make tens of millions of doses of smallpox vaccine quickly.

But only one, Merck, confirmed that it was in preliminary talks with the government. Greg Reaves, a spokesman for Merck, said the company could not say more because of the negotiations.

The other major vaccine manufacturers — American Home Products (news/quote), Aventis (news/quote) and GlaxoSmithKline (news/quote) — said they were talking to the government, but not in specific negotiations.

"We're trying to assess the government's needs and then assess our ability to meet those needs," said Len Lavenda, an Aventis spokesman. "There is a sense of urgency."

Doug Petkus, a spokesman at American Home Products, said, "We've been talking to the government about how we can be helpful with our expertise."

Baxter International, based in Deerfield, Ill., said yesterday that the company had teamed with Acambis to negotiate with the government to make the vaccine. Deborah Spak, a spokeswoman for Baxter, said that it could make tens of millions of doses in six to nine months. It owns 20 percent of Acambis, based in Cambridge, Mass.

BioReliance (news/quote) of Rockville, Md., is also working with Acambis. It has a government subcontract to help Acambis manufacture the vaccine.

Capers W. McDonald, chief executive at BioReliance, said that Acambis and the government had asked "for specifics on how much we can expand and how rapidly."

An industry executive said it was not yet known what type of vaccine the government wanted.

Asked which method could produce vaccine the fastest, the executive said: "The way we did it before. But is that viable in 2001?"

Novavax Inc. (news/quote), a small company in Columbia, Md., that makes vaccines for use in clinical studies, said yesterday that it was also interested in making smallpox vaccine.

Novavax bid last year on the contract that Acambis won. John A. Spears, chief executive and president, estimated that the vaccine would cost the government $1.50 to $1.75 a dose for 300 million doses.

For Education And Discussion Only. Not For Commercial Use.

TOPICS: News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-39 next last

1 posted on 10/19/2001 9:00:44 PM PDT by JohnHuang2
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: JohnHuang2
Makes you wonder why the sudden sense of urgency. I haven't heard the word "small pox" since the seventies, got the scar to prove it.
2 posted on 10/19/2001 9:03:10 PM PDT by seeker41
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

I hope they can get this done soon. Ideally we will never, ever need it, but you just can't count anything out when you're dealing with the kind of enemy we are.
3 posted on 10/19/2001 9:04:48 PM PDT by StoneColdGOP

if terrorists can and are going to use this, they'll obviously do it in the near future, before the manufacturers can produce 300 m doses.
4 posted on 10/19/2001 9:05:49 PM PDT by ken21

To: seeker41
"I haven't heard the word "small pox" since the seventies, got the scar to prove it."

Got my scar in the early 50's. They say neither of our's are any good.

5 posted on 10/19/2001 9:08:43 PM PDT by blam
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: ken21
Agreed.

And what about the REST of the world---Europe, for example?

6 posted on 10/19/2001 9:11:27 PM PDT by gg188
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

If you do not have the supplies that will allow you to stay at home a while, I suggest you get some. If/when the first case of small pox is diagnosed, expect qurantines. It would become legal to shoot you for violating a quarantine.
7 posted on 10/19/2001 9:14:03 PM PDT by blam

To: gg188
i guess they'll be scrambling too.

which leads us to the issue of european criticism of bush...they're going have to drop that with osama's nuts running around.

8 posted on 10/19/2001 9:15:23 PM PDT by ken21
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

I'm really, really worried about the weekend after Thanksgiving. If a couple of large malls are hit, then with college students and family flying back home on 11/25-26, we could have an epidemic break out all across the country by the end of November, possibly too many people in too many places to quickly isolate and quarantine. Plus, just imagine what that would do to the Christmas shopping season, and thus to the economy.

I'm hopeful that the scar I have on my left arm means I still have some immunity. (I remember when I was a kid that they told us it would last a lifetime, and I sure don't remember any adults ever getting re-vaccinated; that doesn't square with what we're hearing now.) But I really do worry about all the unvaccinated kids.

9 posted on 10/19/2001 9:27:19 PM PDT by Stefan Stackhouse

But in the past, few of the major pharmaceutical
companies have been interested in making vaccines for the
government. Vaccines are not as profitable as
prescription drugs ....

Hmm ... if substantial portions of the population dies
due to smallpox, then who will be left to buy all those
"profitable" drugs?

10 posted on 10/19/2001 9:41:22 PM PDT by envision

Does anyone remember how former Sec. of HHS Donna Shalala vigorously fought to have our sample of smallpox destroyed so that no vaccines could be made?

At the time, Russia had the only other known sample. Now it is assumed that a couple more terrorist nations have it.

Had the Clinton administration had their way, we would be in deep trouble now. Far deeper than we are.

11 posted on 10/21/2001 5:23:44 PM PDT by whoever

To: Stefan Stackhouse
I'm hopeful that the scar I have on my left arm means I still have some immunity.

Not from what I have read, the way I understand it, the vaccination is only good for 10 yrs.

12 posted on 10/21/2001 5:32:43 PM PDT by DreamWeaver
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

To: whoever
13 posted on 10/21/2001 5:38:34 PM PDT by ChemistCat
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

To: seeker41
In this age of wonder drugs would not small pox be treatable? The last time around there were no drugs to treat it, (I don't think). For those who were vacinated, are they still immune? I thought it was a vacine that lasted a lifetime. Anybody know?
14 posted on 10/21/2001 5:56:54 PM PDT by wingnuts'nbolts
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: wingnuts'nbolts
"Anybody know?"

The medical folks say about 10 years. Small pox is a virus.

15 posted on 10/21/2001 6:01:38 PM PDT by blam
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

To: Stefan Stackhouse
>>Plus, just imagine what that would do to the Christmas shopping season, and thus to the economy<<

If smallpox is introduced into a nonimmune population, the "economy" will become an irrelevance.

I think all the talk about juicing the economy is foolish, anyway. We have a war to win. If we have to blow up the Saudi oil fields, then that's what we have to do.

If we have a smallpox outbreak in this country, we won't have an economy for a while.

16 posted on 10/21/2001 6:02:39 PM PDT by Jim Noble
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

To: blam
& the best anti=viral=garlic.

The old ways come around again.

Look up the story of "The Vinegar of the Four Thieves", these cats cooked up a garlic & herb concoction that kept them healthy & happy during time of plague & robbed all the dead{talk about victimology}.

17 posted on 10/21/2001 6:06:50 PM PDT by norraad
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

"They say neither of our's are any good."

Not necessarily true. No one knows for certain if an old vaccine will render one immune, resistant, or just as susceptible to smallpox.

Tha being said, seems to me that doctors, nurses, emergencey personel, and the armed forces have first priority.

After that, all of those born after the last vaccination in 1972, then those of us with old vaccinations.

18 posted on 10/21/2001 6:14:39 PM PDT by Sabertooth
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: norraad
(I don't think this is what you mean, huh? lol)

Four Thieves Vinegar

This is used as a hexing agent. The name of the person you wish to curse is written on a piece of paper. The paper is soaked in the vinegar. The paper is then allowed to dry and then is burned. It is the ashes of this paper you use in the ritual. Four Thieves Vinegar can be sprinkled on an enemy's door step to break up their home.
To a gallon of strong cider vinegar add a handful of the following:

Rosemary
Wormwood
Lavender
Rue
Sage
Mint

Add one ounce of powered camphor gum. Tightly close the container with the cider vinegar and herbs in it. Place this container in a pan of water and heat until the water begins to boil. Always shake this mixture before heating. Heat daily for four days. Strain the herbs from the liquid, bottle and keep tightly closed.

19 posted on 10/21/2001 6:20:10 PM PDT by blam
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 17 | View Replies]

No, but you brought up an interesting problem about historical/medical anthropology{a hobby of mine}.

It can be confusing upon shallow research as many names & recipes are crossref'd & shared irrespectively.

20 posted on 10/21/2001 6:57:03 PM PDT by norraad
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 19 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-39 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson