Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Hollywood arrogance 101 (Good Oprah Slam, Too!)
Daily Pennsylvanian (UPa) ^ | 10/22/01 | Mark Fiore

Posted on 10/23/2001 8:18:24 AM PDT by NorCoGOP

PHILADELPHIA -- While almost all of America is caught up in anthrax scares, the bombings in Afghanistan and fears of further terrorist attacks, Hollywood, as usual, is caught up only in itself. From "The West Wing" to the Emmy Awards and everywhere in between, show business has displayed its true colors since Sept. 11 -- and those colors are most assuredly not red, white and blue.

Take Oprah Winfrey, for instance. Not content with telling women how to connect with their inner spirits, the holier-than-thou talk-show queen became school teacher for a day earlier this month with her show, "Islam 101."

During the one-hour crash course on Islam, the leftist Oprah paraded out a group of Muslim women to prove her point that Islam is "the most misunderstood of the three major religions."

So we're supposed to look to Oprah to clear up any misunderstanding?

Please. Not only was the preachy spectacle sophomoric, but it was so slanted that nary a critical word about Islam was uttered. All religions have points of debate, but apparently not Islam, so says Oprah.

The preaching, of course, did not stop with Oprah. After all, what would "The West Wing" be without a lecture on terrorism and tolerance? Determined to add his radical voice to the celebrity saga, West Wing creator Aaron Sorkin delayed the show's season premiere two weeks to write and air "a very special episode" in early October.

The condescending and simplistic show centered on a group of high school kids -- whose queries made them appear more like kindergartners -- asking questions of the executive staff while stuck in the White House during a security lock-down.

The moral of the show? All Americans are bad, very bad, for being skeptical and cynical during this time of crisis. Another point? All Americans are stupid, very stupid.

And so it's up to Sorkin and his liberal characters to show Americans how they should really behave. Spare us.

Then along comes the sad story of the Emmy Awards. Initially postponed after the Sept. 11 attacks, the show was rescheduled for Oct. 7. That Sunday just so happened to be the day that the United States launched air strikes on Afghanistan.

Logically, the show's producers said it would have been "inappropriate" to go forward, and canceled the show.

Now the awards ceremony is back on. The Academy of Television Arts and Sciences announced last week that the show will take place Nov. 4 in Century City, Calif., and will air live on the East Coast. Thank goodness.

Of course there was a chance that America would never have gotten to see the Emmys at all. But several snooty superstars thought they might actually be terrorist targets. Certainly, if they all gathered in the Shrine Auditorium at once, Osama bin Laden would have been quick to send over a bomb.

Are these self-absorbed actors for real? Do they honestly think they are that important?

Minnesota Gov. Jesse Ventura apparently thinks so. More celebrity than politician, the governor announced earlier this month that he would no longer be releasing his daily schedule to the media. "The Body" has long had a history of pomposity and tension with the media, but this one topped his previous scandals.

Before backtracking on his decision, Jesse apparently thought he too was a target. Sure, Jesse, an al Qaeda terrorist has been standing outside the state capitol in St. Paul, Minn., just waiting to take you out.

Take a cue from President Bush, who has continued to release his schedule in a modified manner. The president is certainly a bigger target than you are.

Even the star-studded two-hour telethon that aired shortly after the Sept. 11 attacks reeked of Hollywood arrogance, with performers more concerned about promoting themselves than uplifting the country. The King of Pop was apparently peeved when the event's producers gave him a big "no thanks" after he sought to be part of the show.

The producers say they feared Michael Jackson's performance would have been more about himself than about the country. What else would be new?

While the telethon raised millions of dollars, Hollywood has remained outrageously stingy during the national crisis. With few exceptions -- like Julia Roberts, who donated $2 million to relief funds -- the same actors and musicians who rushed to donate money to Al Gore's election bid have kept their wallets nicely tucked away.

As pollster Frank Luntz put it last week on MSNBC's Hardball with Chris Matthews, "I've been in eight cities since Sept. 11, and there's only one city where you couldn't find virtually everybody with a flag or a ribbon or something red, white and blue -- and that's Los Angeles, home of Hollywood."

TOPICS: Culture/Society; Editorial
KEYWORDS:

1 posted on 10/23/2001 8:18:24 AM PDT by NorCoGOP
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: NorCoGOP
No surprises here huh?
2 posted on 10/23/2001 8:23:41 AM PDT by Sunshine Sister
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Minn Gov. Jesse Ventura apparently thinks........ he's a target.
Sure, Jesse, an al Qaeda terrorist has been standing outside the
state capitol in St. Paul, Minn., just waiting to take you out.

This is as ludicrous as Jeesse Jackson wanting us to believe the Taliban bombs
the US and keeps JJ's phone number on their Rolodex to help bail them out.
JJ said the Taliban "called" him. They said they had no idea who he was.

Much as I deplore saying it, in this case, I am ready to believe the Taliban

3 posted on 10/23/2001 8:28:58 AM PDT by Liz

Hollywood is the mecca of narcissism....
4 posted on 10/23/2001 8:33:37 AM PDT by Dallas

boycott.................... just ignore them no tv no movies ...........
5 posted on 10/23/2001 8:42:50 AM PDT by angcat

We should lock Oprah up for a month with no food and then ship her to Afghanistan, she'll eat the Taliban in a week!
6 posted on 10/23/2001 8:50:52 AM PDT by Nitro

Oprah was very nice and respectful to George W. and recently to Laura Bush.

She's not a cut throat lying liberal like Rosie.

She does a good job of helping overly emotional women deal with life. Her stuff is mainstream, not weird as some would say. (she may hit liberal issues at times, I don't know, but never when I watch)

I think the left deserves to be picked on...but not just because their left....but because their biased, liars, etc... Oprah is a fair minded person and we should give her credit for that or next time our guy is interviewed on her show she might decide to do a Rosie or a Streisand or something.

7 posted on 10/23/2001 8:57:24 AM PDT by Media2Powerful

To: Media2Powerful
As a southern Californian I must take issue with the article's implication that we in LA were not patriotic. If Mr. Luntz had ventured into more of so cal he would have seen many flags. They were everywhere...as I believe Rush even commented. Please remember that the Hollywood community is just a fraction of the greater LA area, and certainly does not represent all of us.
8 posted on 10/23/2001 9:18:20 AM PDT by girlreporter
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

To: Media2Powerful
With reference to my own take on Oprah on 14th Oct last, regarding "Will the real Islam please stand up"- I think further comment is in order. Yes, the better part of Winfrey is indeed a considerable force in this T/V addicted society. She has come a long,long way from the slime on these shows,re Springer,Jenny(yuk)and the not missed Donahue. This is to her credit.

What should be pointed out, is her subservience to one side and one side only. As I previously pointed out, an explanation by her, on the thoughts and ideals of fundementalist Christians and a teaching of THEIR tenets is not likely. I dont really watch, except when my spouse has it on and I cant tune it out. It could be that she may have pontificated on this subject. I dont think that the softening of the American public's views is very productive at this time. No government can wage a war without morale being very high on the home front. In short what good can it do to "understand"? Like, understand a thug who knocks one down and steals ones money?

9 posted on 10/23/2001 9:39:36 AM PDT by Peter Libra
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

To: Peter Libra
She had on all gospel music (Music to heal our broken hearts...a paraphrase) a couple of weeks ago. Good stuff. Even raised her hands during the songs. She was raised in church.

That said, I think she tinkers in New Age stuff. I would guess that her Dr. Phil guy is a Christian though. He's pretty mainstream anyway as far as I can tell. I know several people in difficult relationships that have been encouraged by him.

I saw Oprah's boyfriend, life partner (whatever you call him, you know Steadman Graham) on America's Voice, a conservative cable network, and he was great. I am not saying either of them are conservative, I am just saying I think they are respectable, decent people worthy of respect. (unlike most "in your face" hollywood libs who cram their goofy liberalism down your throat in a hateful way and abusing their position as entertainers to evade political laws).

Granted, I believe in marriage, but she doesn't try to sell the public her brand of relationship. Her public status and financial situation makes her understandably cautious.

That is all I'm saying. We should only attack the deserving liberals...lest we lose our voice altogether because we've become unfair and unjust.

10 posted on 10/23/2001 11:57:23 AM PDT by Media2Powerful
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

These "stars" who run and hide sniped at Bush for "running and hiding in Air Force One" on 9/11. Personally, I think Bin Laden knows Hollywood is our enemy, too. Therefore, the enemy of my enemy is my friend. Hollywood, offer to buy Bin Laden's movie rights and maybe he'll give himself up to you. I"m sure he'd feel right at home with your hatred of all that is sacred in this country.
11 posted on 10/23/2001 12:08:37 PM PDT by Terry Mross

Comment #12 Removed by Moderator

I'm not a Patriot, but I play one on TV.

13 posted on 11/06/2001 6:44:41 PM PST by Fixit
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson