Free Republic
Browse · Search
Religion
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Bioterrorism and the Pale Horse of the Apocalypse
The Northbrook Newsletter ^ | Oct 25, 2001 | Rev. R.M. Whitsom

Posted on 10/25/2001 9:56:58 AM PDT by xzins

The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse are first presented by the Apostle John in his biblical book, Revelation. They appear in chapter 6 of John's famous vision, and they have been interpreted throughout church history as ominous symbols of terror and raw power loose on the earth. In fact, each horse and horseman appears when a seal on the scroll of the future is opened. The prophecy of the scroll becomes more evident as each seal binding the scroll is released.

One common interpretation of the prophecy of the seals is that they span the great period of time from when John penned the Revelation all the way up to the end of the world as we know it. Another interpretation is that the prophecy spans the time from a future period of extreme earthly duress up to the end of the world.

On opening the first seal a horse and a rider appear. The first horse bears a rider who seems to be a champion. Highlighting this is the fact that he rides a white horse. Ominously, though, he is intent on conquest. It appears that no one can stand in his way.

How often the world has embraced a hero who promised peace, but who instead was focused on building an empire. Surely we are beyond that in our age, aren't we? Of course not. The names roll past us -- Hitler, Lenin, Mao, Pohl Pot, Bin Laden -- and they are reminders of how easily humans fall for the line of conquerors on seemingly white horses.

At the opening of the second seal, a red horse appears. Red as blood, this horse is ridden by a horseman who is guided by a deadly purpose: he has the power of war, but particularly the power of world war. It says, "power to take peace from the earth and to make men slay each other."

It should be a humbling thought to our generation that this prophecy became a literal possibility with the advent of our world wars of the last century. Certainly there had been wars prior to this, but they weren't wars that had involved the entire world. If one wishes to be precise, WWII actually involved more parties than did WWI. It was a war that ranged over the entire world.

The horseman on the red horse also is said to possess a "large sword." WWII saw the advent of weapons of mass destruction that could cripple or end life on earth. We, and many, many others, now have nuclear weaponry. But bio terrorism is also a huge weapon. Used by an Osama Bin Laden, or a Saddam Hussein, it could well destroy life on earth. No one knows the ultimate disposition of these germs and viruses once they are released into our environment. Will they mutate? Will they spread in new and unforeseen ways?

The third seal is opened and a black horse appears. The rider on this horse encourages exorbitant prices for the commodities of life. Whether encouraging them by virtue of a controlled economy or encouraging them because of actual shortage, it is difficult to tell. The arrogant command not to “damage the oil and the wine” seems to indicate a despotism over not just necessities, but also over luxuries.

What a world this vision describes! Conquerors appearing as “saviors.” Wars that ravage the entire earth. Economies run by an arrogant elite who become so tight that common people suffer serious deprivation.

The fourth seal brings a pale horse. We’re told his rider’s “name is Death, and Hades was following close behind him.” This rider is given the power to kill by sword, famine, plague, and beasts.

As terrible as the preceding horsemen had seemed, it appears that this horseman brings an escalation of all that had been taking place before. More of the same, but worse. More death in war. More death through lack of food. More death by rampant, uncontrollable disease. So thoroughly decimated and homeless had the people become that in their desperate wanderings for safety and food they again became prey for wild animals. What kind of ravaging of the earth could have brought about the resurgence of populations of man-killing beasts? Or what controls had been brought about that forced the return of large numbers of man-killers? Had former pets become packs and returned to their natural wild state?

A fourth of the earth was slain. It doesn’t say if this slaughter occurred in one region, or if it was a more general "one in every four" across the face of the entire earth. That the work of the second horseman had been worldwide would seem to indicate the latter. However, this could foretell the demise of a particular region or nation that comprised approximately fourth of the earth.

Personally, I believe it appears more likely to be one-in- every-four. How does anything bring death so methodically that it affects "one in four?" War certainly takes some lives, and beasts would seem to kill far fewer than war, but frightening plagues of disease could kill millions. and they could do so in indiscriminate fashion across the face of the entire earth.

The media reported that the former Soviets had experimented with anthrax and with other germs in their germ warfare program. They had genetically altered the germs to be resistant to anti-biotics. They had manufactured them to be different sizes, weights, and shapes. As if they needed to be more deadly, they had increased potency to levels that made defense against them virtually impossible in a timely way.

And then, we're told, they lost control of their research. Maybe some stocks were transferred for cash. Perhaps these stocks went to “savior-warriors” who would spend their lives trying to impose their version of “good” on the peoples of the earth.

The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse are a word of warning. But, are these things "that must be or are they things that might be?” What can we do to forestall this deadly prophecy?

How can we intervene? How can we change the course? The good news is that there is a way. The Bible says that God is always open to the prayer of repentance.

2 Chronicles 7:14 – “If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and heal their land!

Rev. R.M. Whitsom

TOPICS: General Discusssion
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-38 next last
Thoughtful article. For some associated great art, see the following link. Albrect Durer's Print of the Four Horsemen
1 posted on 10/25/2001 9:56:58 AM PDT by xzins
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: Prodigal Daughter; TrueBeliever9; truthandlife
bump
2 posted on 10/25/2001 10:00:57 AM PDT by xzins
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Deb; Don Myers; Manny Festo; Thinkin' Gal
bump
3 posted on 10/25/2001 10:18:47 AM PDT by xzins
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: xzins
bttt
4 posted on 10/25/2001 10:22:15 AM PDT by Don Myers

To: Don Myers
I understand the link to Durer above is down. (Once you get to page, click on preview for enlargement.) Try the alternate link below or just use the address.

http://gallery.euroweb.hu/html/d/durer/graphic1/index.html

Alternate Albrecht Durer Print

5 posted on 10/25/2001 10:59:27 AM PDT by xzins
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

THANKS.
6 posted on 10/25/2001 11:00:49 AM PDT by znix
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

You just gotta get a book by Andrew Nikiforuk. The Fourth Horseman. You will find the pale horse to be quite frightening indeed.
7 posted on 10/25/2001 11:11:14 AM PDT by looscannon

To: znix
Oh, wait, you're not xzins LOL, I meant to click on xzins. I must be dyslexic.
8 posted on 10/25/2001 11:23:21 AM PDT by Prodigal Daughter
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

Thank you for the flag! I found this transcript about "Future Plagues" and have started reading Laurie Garrett's The Coming Plague. The stories of smallpox hunting scientists are incredible. Of course, he has been labelled as an alarmist in the scientific community for stating that we are at great risk of worldwide epidemics because of bioterrorism and tyrannical political systems. Psa 91:4 He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler.
9 posted on 10/25/2001 12:02:31 PM PDT by Prodigal Daughter

The fourth seal brings a pale horse. We’re told his rider’s “name is Death, and Hades was following close behind him.” This rider is given the power to kill by sword, famine, plague, and beasts.

Sure sounds like Jihad to me!

10 posted on 10/25/2001 12:38:04 PM PDT by TrueBeliever9

Comment #11 Removed by Moderator

To: Manny Festo
Superstitious distraction slows the problem-solving efforts.
12 posted on 10/25/2001 3:15:16 PM PDT by Vinomori
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

Y'know, I'm thinking starting a twelve-step program to help people who are addicted to making parallels between current events and the book of Revelation.

What do you think of "apocolypto-maniacs anonymous"?

13 posted on 10/25/2001 3:19:43 PM PDT by JenB

Comment #14 Removed by Moderator

To: Manny Festo; *cheesewatch
You owe me an apology. I am Christian and no more Marxian than any other conservative. I simply get tired of people saying that such-and-such an event means that Jesus will return within two years. They never seem to read the verses about Him coming as "a thief in the night" and how "no man shall know the hour of My coming". I was trying to make light of a really, really strange thread. Sheesh; I guess I'll stick to cheese from now on.

Hopefully this'll ping all the people with a sense of humor to this thread.

15 posted on 10/25/2001 3:47:11 PM PDT by JenB
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

To: JenB
This thread needs lightening!
16 posted on 10/25/2001 3:48:33 PM PDT by JenB
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

Comment #17 Removed by Moderator

I don't care about premillenial/amillenial/panmillenial/whatever the heck you want to call 'em theories. I trust that God knows exactly what's going on, that we don't really know, and that Revelation was primarily speaking to the people of the time period about the impending fall of Jerusalem and the coming persecution. That does not mean it is not applicable today, of course.
18 posted on 10/25/2001 3:59:27 PM PDT by JenB
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 17 | View Replies]

Go to the UN, inside you will see a majestic portrait of a white horse with the UN wreath on its head. How noble.
19 posted on 10/25/2001 4:09:09 PM PDT by aquawrench

This audio is excellent for those who have little knowledge of the book of Revelation, or have never studied it for themselves. The best part is that it is an overview of The Complete Book of Revelation in 55 Minutes

You will be blessed by it, for Rev.1:3 promises that you will be blessed! "Blessed [is] he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time [is] at hand."

baa

20 posted on 10/25/2001 5:39:50 PM PDT by woollyone
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-38 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
Religion
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson