Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Don't be a Jihad Joe
CCOPS: Concerned Citizens Opposed to Police States ^ | October 20, 2001 | Aaron Zelman

Posted on 10/25/2001 9:06:42 PM PDT by Tolerance Sucks Rocks

It's a safe bet that most of the people reading this alert aren't high government officials or corporate mega-barons.

Unlike Attorney General John Ashcroft, Senate Majority Leader Tom Dashle or Larry Ellison ("Mr. National ID"), CEO of the giant database company Oracle, you won't be responsible for creating the laws, regulations, and technologies that are rapidly being used to turn the U.S. into a police state under the false claim that mass surveillance of citizens and uncontrolled searches are the best means to "combat terrorism."

But you may be responsible for implementing these police-state policies.

The possibilities are plentiful and frightening -- all the more frightening because these things may soon become the stuff of everyday life and work. Just the ordinary routine of police- state America. The Bush administration has declared a War on Terrorism. And to whatever extent that means hunting down and punishing genuine terrorists, we support the effort. But just as the War on Drugs became a 20-year war on the American people and an excuse to tear away the protections of the Bill of Rights -- eroding property rights, privacy, due process, and dozens of other liberties -- the War on Terrorism may be used to strip away the last remaining American freedoms.

Millions of you will be asked to be the foot soldiers in that Jihad against American Liberties -- the dutiful, loyal "Jihad Joes" (and "Jihad Janes") obeying the commands of higher ups. If you go along with abusing the rights of your countrymen -- in major ways or insignificant ones -- you'll only be "following orders." You'll just be "doing a job."

"Don't blame me," thousands of cops and clerks and technicians and programmers and internment camp guards will shrug. "I'm only a little guy trying to protect my pension."

It's true that the obedient Jihad Joes don't have the power of their masters. But without their obedience, the masters wouldn't have the power to surveil and control the citizens of America. They would not have the power to steal our freedom. They need US to help them do that.

The U.S. government has the authority to track down and deal with terrorists without gutting one more article of the Bill of Rights. All the new demands -- for expanded searches, new crimes and increased sentences, wiretaps on the innocent, indefinite detentions, more databases, more cameras, more record keeping, more biometric ID, more submission -- are just an excuse for implementing a long-held agenda of control.

When CCOPS and its sister organization Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership have sent out alerts describing the problem of growing tyranny, many readers have responded, logically enough, "Yes, but what do we do about it?"

No one has THE answer to ending tyranny. But there is AN answer -- a big, important one that you can immediately practice in your own life, without having to wait for your congressman or anybody else to act.

Problem is, it's an answer almost no one wants to hear: RESIST.

The ultimate responsibility of everyone who truly loves freedom is to LIVE freedom. That means to resist bad laws. That means to refuse to enforce or in any other way help implement police-state policies.

We must refuse to obey, refuse to submit to the searches or to conduct them, refuse to take a national ID card or to program the database for it or install the scanners used to track cardholders. We must refuse to be disarmed or to disarm innocent others.

It is our responsibility. It is the ultimate test of whether we sincerely value freedom or we just want to sit and whine as powerful people and their Jihad Joe minions seize it from us.

"But," the potential enforcers object, "If I refuse to obey or if I quit my job, they'll just replace me with somebody more brutal and more willing to follow bad orders."

We hate to say it, but maybe seeing the true ruthless face of the police state is exactly what it's going to take to wake Americans up. Maybe the polite cop or the courteous clerk enforcing the police state only helps prolong the agony of tyranny by making injustice more tolerable to foolish men and women.

"But," many potential resisters object, "If I resist and others don't, they'll just roll right over me. I'll accomplish nothing for freedom and might get myself arrested."

That's a risk, certainly. So we must not only resist individually, but encourage and organize resistance from others. It's worked for the left for decades. And we're not talking about polite marches, petitions, and protests that the media and government will ignore. We're talking about making it impossible for the controllers to have control.If we do nothing, we're guaranteed to accomplish nothing. If we resist and fail, at least we're keeping the flame of freedom alive. We're preserve the spirit of freedom in our own lives, even if it dies all around us. We must resist to give our children and grandchildren the only hope they can possibly have of being free again.

We all have a responsibility now.

DON'T BE A JIHAD JOE. Don't look your grandchildren in the eye someday and tell them that when the police state came, "I WAS ONLY FOLLOWING ORDERS."

© Copyright 2001 Aaron Zelman

TOPICS: Editorial; Government
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-56 next last
We don' need no steenkeen' "Beaver-Face" Ashcroft anti-terrorism schemes! The only thing I see worth supporting is roving wiretaps, and even that is questionable, since I suspect it would allow some license on the part of government.
1 posted on 10/25/2001 9:06:42 PM PDT by Tolerance Sucks Rocks
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: Hail Caesar; Goldi-Lox; AntiTyrant; LiberalBuster; GunsareOK; secamend; drZ
Buuuuummmmmmp!!!
2 posted on 10/25/2001 9:09:22 PM PDT by Tolerance Sucks Rocks
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: *bang_list; Redcloak; technochick99; pro2A Mom; basil; Mercuria; kristinn; dbwz; PistolPaknMama...
Author Aaron Zelman is also in JPFO! :-)
3 posted on 10/25/2001 9:11:35 PM PDT by Tolerance Sucks Rocks

To: OWK; Demidog
Call all Libertarians!!!
4 posted on 10/25/2001 9:12:29 PM PDT by Tolerance Sucks Rocks

To: Angelwood; ironman; sauropod; Doctor Raoul; Dave Dilegge; leadpenny; Gore_ War_ Vet; tgslTakoma...
Calling all DC FReepers! (See you on the 27th!)
5 posted on 10/25/2001 9:16:02 PM PDT by Tolerance Sucks Rocks

To: NoDemocratsIn2000
I have had more than one conversation with Mr. Zellman, and he is truly one of the good guys.

Jihad Joe....I love it.

Thanks for the post.

L

6 posted on 10/25/2001 9:16:43 PM PDT by Lurker

To: Lurker; Mudboy Slim; RaceBannon; Shethink13; GrandmaC; Jeff Head; Buckaroo; JustAmy; shotabug...
Yer Welcome, Lurker. As for the rest of yaz...BUMP!!
7 posted on 10/25/2001 9:19:58 PM PDT by Tolerance Sucks Rocks
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

You forgot to flag Henny-Penny and Harry Browne.
8 posted on 10/25/2001 9:20:45 PM PDT by onyx

BUMP
9 posted on 10/25/2001 9:30:27 PM PDT by JustAmy
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

To: onyx
Sorrrrreeeeeeeeeeee.
10 posted on 10/25/2001 9:55:56 PM PDT by Tolerance Sucks Rocks
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

To: JustAmy; ELS; Lazamataz; Critter; Cool Guy; Dan from Michigan; CommiesOut; Black Jade; alisasny...
BUMP!
11 posted on 10/25/2001 9:59:13 PM PDT by Tolerance Sucks Rocks
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

"...laws, regulations, and technologies that are rapidly being used to turn the U.S. into a police state under the false claim that mass surveillance of citizens and uncontrolled searches are the best means to "combat terrorism."

Why don't we deport EVERYONE in this country that are NON-CITIZENS. And keep a real keen eye on the Muslims who remain. Why don't we do REAL background checks on people applying for Visas and follow them like hawks until they leave this country! Then we won't need anti-freedom laws and rules and regulations. While these might be fine under a Bush, think about this same power in the hands of the next Clinton. That should be enough to scare everybody!

12 posted on 10/26/2001 2:06:49 AM PDT by brat

To: brat
Please tell me what purpose it will serve to deport green card holders or people wading through the citizen process, who are NOT Muslims, NOT from Saudi Arabia , Egypt, Pakistan, India, Indonesia, the Phillipines, Syria, the Sudan, Afghanistan, or anyother country where bin Laden has followers / cells . Do you want to deport noncitizens from Switzerland, Belgum, Hungary, and South Africa, who are no threat to you ? WHY ?

Irrational statements do NO ONE any good.

13 posted on 10/26/2001 2:16:49 AM PDT by nopardons
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

Bush signed the bill. Dispicable.
14 posted on 10/26/2001 10:26:39 AM PDT by Demidog

To: brat
My suggestion would be to crack down on illegal immigrants and visa-jumpers and totally stop immigration until the INS gets some teeth. As far as residents go, some are here actually wanting to be Americans...I'm not sure how to handle them, myself.
15 posted on 10/26/2001 8:40:15 PM PDT by Tolerance Sucks Rocks
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

To: Demidog
Sad, ain't it. Most, if not all, of that police-state crap is highly unnecessary, I suspect, and even redundant. I think that the Homeland apparat is totally unnecessary as well. Now that America's got it's wake up call, it's kinda condescending to assume that our various agencies are not gearing up to the task of handling terrorism. They may not be there, but I'm sure they're on their way.
16 posted on 10/26/2001 8:44:55 PM PDT by Tolerance Sucks Rocks
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

To: AnnaZ
!!!!!!!!!!
17 posted on 10/26/2001 10:14:13 PM PDT by Mercuria

To: tex-oma; Sandy; Askel5; ouroboros; Willie Green; ex-snook; Either/Or; keep U.S. Sovereign...
Telling a dozen or so friends...
18 posted on 10/26/2001 10:20:53 PM PDT by Mercuria

Jihad Joe minions

What a great phrase! I love it. LOL

19 posted on 10/26/2001 10:21:53 PM PDT by Sandy

To: HangFire; Lady Jenn; Dan from Michigan; SUSSA; Hail Caesar; Robert Teesdale; evilC; lowbridge...
Oh...and YOU guys, too!
20 posted on 10/26/2001 10:23:39 PM PDT by Mercuria

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-56 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson