Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Gore back on the trail, quietly, but says he's `not decided' about '04
Miami Herald Online ^ | Tuesday, October 30, 2001 | BY STEVEN THOMMA

Posted on 10/30/2001 12:31:46 AM PST by JohnHuang2

Gore back on the trail, quietly, but says he's `not decided' about '04

BY STEVEN THOMMA
Herald Washington Bureau

MANCHESTER, New Hampshire -- Driving a rental car through the hamlets of New Hampshire, Al Gore is a man alone.

Gone are the limousine, the phalanx of Secret Service agents clearing his path and Air Force Two to whisk him around the country. The 51 million votes that he received for president only a year ago are a distant memory.

Key operatives who helped him run for president in 2000 are debating whether to back other Democrats in 2004.

Yet Gore is back on the trail, running a stealth campaign to seek support under the radar of the national media. Before speaking on a recent Saturday night to the New Hampshire Democratic Party, Gore arrived in the state almost a week early to drive around by himself. He drops in unannounced on old friends and hunts for new ones.

As he rolled into the town of Hampton, Gore dialed his cellphone and called Beverly Hollingworth, a state senator and past supporter. ``I'm driving right through,'' he told her. ``Can we have a cup of coffee?''

SMALL TALK

Dressed in khaki slacks and an open-collar shirt, the man who won more votes for president than anyone except Ronald Reagan -- only to lose the election in the Electoral College -- walked unceremoniously into Lamie's Tavern to meet Hollingworth.

They talked about grandchildren and politics for nearly two hours. He frequently was interrupted -- by clerks who wanted a picture, by local firefighters who heard he was there, by an elderly woman from Pennsylvania who said she loved him and wanted to know whether he would run again.

``He just smiled,'' Hollingworth said.

Gore didn't say whether he will run, and he didn't ask Hollingworth to help him again -- yet. She would have declined anyway, saying she is keeping an open mind about which Democrat to support.

Gore, at the fundraiser, did not say if he would run again in 2004, despite the prodding of 500 guests, some of whom chanted ``Gore in four!''

``I'm not gonna respond to that, but I appreciate the encouragement,'' Gore said. ``I have not decided what I am going to do in the future.''

New Hampshire traditionally makes or breaks presidential candidates because it holds the first primary election of each campaign.

It was here that Gore fought off a challenge from Bill Bradley for the Democratic nomination last year. And it is here, among other places, that he is working to rebuild a once-golden political career that admirers thought was destined to end with the presidency.

``He's working to reestablish contacts and connections with supporters and old friends. And he has to reach out to new supporters,'' said former aide Chris Lehane, now a political consultant in California.

``He recognizes the situation, that no one is going to hand him the nomination, that he would have to go out to work for it and earn it.''

OTHER CANDIDATES

Gore also is facing stiff competition.

Although he is the best-known Democrat, he already might be behind as his rivals line up contributors, consultants and county chairs.

Among those signaling that they might run: House Democratic leader Richard Gephardt of Missouri and Sens. Joseph Biden of Delaware, John Edwards of North Carolina, John Kerry of Massachusetts and Joseph Lieberman of Connecticut, Gore's running mate last year.

``The political machinery is already ahead of him,'' said a veteran Democratic strategist who spoke on condition of anonymity.

``Edwards and Lieberman are outpacing him on working state party networks. Kerry is out-organizing him in New Hampshire. Gephardt is out-organizing him in Iowa.''

More broadly, the strategist said Gore's refusal to comment publicly for months on election reform efforts hurt him among blacks who believe that their civil rights were trampled in the Florida election debacle.

Gore also faces challenges in courting the contributors and consultants whom he would need to fight for the nomination.

``His relations with donors are being repaired, but he suffered some body blows in New York that he will not recover from,'' the Democratic strategist said. ``New York money people think he didn't run a good campaign.''

For Education And Discussion Only. Not For Commercial Use.

TOPICS: News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-48 next last

1 posted on 10/30/2001 12:31:46 AM PST by JohnHuang2
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: JohnHuang2
There are advantages to being undecided. Look at the millions Hillary raised before she was even declared. An income for doing absolutely nothing by posing a question.
2 posted on 10/30/2001 12:42:02 AM PST by MedicalMess
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: MedicalMess
How does he make a living??
3 posted on 10/30/2001 1:13:34 AM PST by Ann Archy
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

He's too old for 2104!
4 posted on 10/30/2001 1:19:59 AM PST by leadhead

Hey, Algore. Let us know when Hilliary makes up your mind.
5 posted on 10/30/2001 3:03:05 AM PST by mewzilla

To: leadhead
Here you are again, brilliant one! I watched Gore stumble and blubber through some speech somewhere. It was like watching a spastic eat--horrified compassion.
6 posted on 10/30/2001 3:03:22 AM PST by democratsstealvotes
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

I'm sure leadman is also brilliant, but I meant to write to you!
7 posted on 10/30/2001 3:06:08 AM PST by democratsstealvotes

To: Ann Archy
...How does he make a living...

His pension from the Senate and Vice Presidency is $90,000 a year (with cost of living increases).

8 posted on 10/30/2001 4:48:15 AM PST by GunsareOK
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

Comment #9 Removed by Moderator

Comment #10 Removed by Moderator

Comment #11 Removed by Moderator

To: mewzilla
AllBore has the hots for HRC I, but he won't stand a chance until after his scheduled sex change operation.

12 posted on 10/30/2001 4:52:12 AM PST by jws3sticks
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

Too bad he won't ride that trail right out of the country.
13 posted on 10/30/2001 5:05:51 AM PST by Piquaboy

To: MedicalMess
Among those signaling that they might run: House Democratic leader Richard Gephardt of Missouri and Sens. Joseph Biden of Delaware, John Edwards of North Carolina, John Kerry of Massachusetts and Joseph Lieberman of Connecticut, Gore's running mate last year.

Impressive list, don't you think?

14 posted on 10/30/2001 5:11:51 AM PST by diggerwillow
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

He can be on the trail as much as he wants. It does not matter; it's already been decided: Hillary will be the candidate in 2004.

--Boris

15 posted on 10/30/2001 5:34:04 AM PST by boris

Gone are the limousine, the phalanx of Secret Service agents clearing his path and Air Force Two to whisk him around the country What? I thought X42 extended SS protection for both he and Chelsea before he left office. Seems Chelsea still has protection, at Oxford no less.
16 posted on 10/30/2001 5:38:34 AM PST by StarFan

To: StarFan
About three weeks ago there was an article here about Al Gore who headed up a committee to investigate airline security - and in that article it was stated that Gore found nothing to improve upon in regards to airline security. The article went on to say that just after this - the 1996 Clinton/Gore re-election campaign received $700 thousand from six major airlines. Who can help me locate this article please? (I did different searches but can't pull up this recent article)
17 posted on 10/30/2001 5:41:54 AM PST by ChaseR
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

To: ChaseR
If I could remember the name of the woman who is bringing suit, I could find the article. She sat on the committee and was upset that the proposals were open ended and that albore falsely claimed the findings and solutions were unanimously agreed upon. I will try to find it for you.
18 posted on 10/30/2001 5:48:17 AM PST by StarFan
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 17 | View Replies]

As he considers whether or not he will run, perhaps the public should consider the Gore/Cummock/airlines matter related to airlines security and how his compromising stand on that matter might or might not relate to recent and current tragic events.

Visit http://www.freerepublic.com/forum/a3bae93cf42d3.htm

19 posted on 10/30/2001 5:51:57 AM PST by loveliberty

To: StarFan
Thanks so much StarFan. I have an opportunity to have quotes from this Gore article placed in a university newspaper.....heheh.
20 posted on 10/30/2001 5:57:09 AM PST by ChaseR
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 18 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-48 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson