Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Marines Study Poetry as They Prepare for Battle
Reuters via YahooNews ^ | October 31 | Claudia Parsons

Posted on 11/01/2001 1:11:15 AM PST by 2Trievers

By Claudia Parsons

ABOARD USS PELELIU (Reuters) - U.S. marines poised for battle are taking time off between keeping fit and cleaning their guns to study anger management and World War One poetry.

``(The war poetry) gives them an outlet to maybe express what they're going through right now,'' said Captain Chris Picado, who teaches an English class to 18 marines on board the USS Peleliu warship in the Arabian Sea.

``If anything it'll make them better writers to their wives,'' said Picado, keen to be a high school teacher after she leaves the marines where she works in intelligence.

British poetry from World War One has been a popular choice, with Wilfred Owen's Dulce et Decorum Est among the favorites.

``The way some of the poets describe some of the wars, it's very graphic,'' said Lance Corporal Garret Clapp from Michigan who prepares weapons for Harrier jets based on the ship.

``You look at the movies and the way they make things very horrific and lifelike with blood and guts -- to be able to take those same images and describe them so that I, the reader, can get the same effect, it's really amazing,'' said Geoff Newson, 23, from Portland, Oregon, a sergeant in the military police on the Peleliu.

``Just by what he said you actually can feel it, or you can get a mental picture of the death or the awful sights and sounds and smells that they were going through during that time.''

LIGHTNING MISSIONS

The Peleliu and two other ships in a marine expeditionary unit carry around 2,200 marines trained for lightning missions in hostile territory, from seizing airfields to emergency evacuations and raids.

The U.S. military will only say the unit is supporting Washington's ``Operation Enduring Freedom'' anti-terror campaign, now focused on Afghanistan (news - web sites). It has confirmed involvement in just one incident ``in country'' -- the recovery of a downed helicopter in Pakistan.

But few doubt the marines will play a role. The marines on the Peleliu say they are ready for anything.

That means the Peleliu is a stressful place, according to one of the ship's chaplains, Donald Troast, who teaches an anger management course to 17 marines on board.

``We don't judge anger as negative or positive,'' Troast said. ``It's an emotion that we all have. The folks who come to the class realize they are not acting it out as healthily as they could.''

Others have their own ways of dealing with the pressure of long periods on ship with little or no privacy and long working days.

Staff Sergeant Kion Clark from Philadelphia likes to go up on the flight deck at dawn each day to greet the sunrise for a few moments of solitude.

Colonel Thomas Waldhauser, commander of the marines on board, likes to run around the flight deck for an hour to gather his thoughts, while William Jezierski, navy commodore of the marine unit, reads Tom Clancy novels when he has a spare moment.

``I don't know anybody who actually writes poetry,'' said William Griesmeyer, 33, from Kettering, Ohio, another student of the English class.

Newson, who plans to join the police back home in Oregon when he leaves the marines, agrees that poetry is ``lost in our generation.''

``I don't really write it down. Nowadays we can e-mail, that's how to document how you feel, keep in touch with the outside world,'' he said.

``E-mail is pretty much my poetry -- writing my thoughts, my feelings so other people can understand what I'm going through.''

TOPICS: Foreign Affairs; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS: marines; usspeleliu
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-8081-95 next last
Marines ... anger management ... poetry?

BAHHHHHHRRRAAAAAAHHHAAAAAAAAA.

1 posted on 11/01/2001 1:11:15 AM PST by 2Trievers
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: 2Trievers
Anger management??? I don't want their anger managed. I want them mad as hell.
2 posted on 11/01/2001 1:17:49 AM PST by Angel#3
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Angel#3
Perhaps they are looking for New Age guys.
3 posted on 11/01/2001 1:20:09 AM PST by jjbrouwer
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

"U.S. marines poised for battle are taking time off between keeping fit and cleaning their guns to study anger management..."

A few film clips of the WTC attacks ought to keep their anger "managed" properly...

4 posted on 11/01/2001 1:26:26 AM PST by NewLand

To: NewLand; jjbrouwer
Can you believe this? We've gone to hell in a new age, touchy feely handbasket. Pardon me while I see if there's any tofu left over for breakfast ... I have to get my strength for another day of clap trap.
5 posted on 11/01/2001 1:42:18 AM PST by 2Trievers
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

I prefer cheesecake for my brekkie.
6 posted on 11/01/2001 1:49:36 AM PST by jjbrouwer
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

Sounds very zen to me. It's high-time we realized that there is more to war than just the physical aspects of killing people and breaking things; the guys doing the killing and breaking are human beings with all the thoughts and emotions pertaining thereto. Anyone who has ever read the WWI poetry this article talks about realizes this.

In Flanders Fields the poppies blow,
Amid the crosses, row on row ...

7 posted on 11/01/2001 2:00:32 AM PST by Junior

Kipling is Kewel!! We're not talking Yeats!!!
8 posted on 11/01/2001 2:05:31 AM PST by RaceBannon

Ridiculous! They need to be stoked up and mad as hell. This is just another way to disarm our military.
9 posted on 11/01/2001 2:08:05 AM PST by MayflowerMadam

To: Angel#3
Time on ship is stressful. Waiting for something to happen, having to live in close quarters with NO WAY OUT, the smell, the fights between each other, it is a life you never saw. Marines have nothing to do except eat, sleep at night only, read, and Physical Train, and believe me, that leaves plenty of time in the day you have to fill. The closed in feeling, no privacy, less than boot camp if you can imagine.

People's personality change, you get short tempered, and it is against the people who you need to depend on the most. Just imagine being locked up in a huge room with 3500 people, people you cannot get away from ALL DAY. At work, you get to go home. Not on ship.

10 posted on 11/01/2001 2:09:24 AM PST by RaceBannon
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: MayflowerMadam
I spent 6 months at sea twice, it is a character builder, for sure. Floating off Iran both times, in 1980,we were ready for war. 81 we were ready for the next liberty port. It gets claustrophobic, you cannot get away from people ALL DAY, the grey walls with NOTHING TO DO!!!

If you have a job to do, the time passes, but Grunts DO NOT have a job while on board, they are bored stiff. You can only run so many times in a circle on that flight deck or do P.T. in the hanger deck. The rest of the time is spent...WAITING FOR THE WORD.

What word? The word to go, the word to sleep, the word to wait, the word to eat, the word to make a head call...just waiting. Waiting can drive you nuts, especially when you know fighting is going on, and you aren't in it.

11 posted on 11/01/2001 2:14:38 AM PST by RaceBannon
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

They need to be stoked up and mad as hell...

Perhaps they should listen to Iron Maiden, rather than the genteel poetry.
12 posted on 11/01/2001 2:16:08 AM PST by jjbrouwer

Oh, by the way, they ARE mad as hell, and scared to death, too. But, Trust me, they are ready to go, they aren't reading anything romantic, they are reading stories of death and honor and commitment on the battlefield, all the required reading off the officer corps in the academies for the last CENTURY.
13 posted on 11/01/2001 2:16:30 AM PST by RaceBannon

the Peleliu is a stressful place

I bet it's really stressful for a marine-ette poetry teacher floating around in the middle of the ocean with 2,200 Marines. How long before she gets knocked up and sent home?

WTF were our nation's leaders thinking when they put women on warships?

-ccm

14 posted on 11/01/2001 2:17:08 AM PST by ccmay

To: jjbrouwer
I would bet Kid Rock is more popular, and Lee Greenwood, too.
15 posted on 11/01/2001 2:17:17 AM PST by RaceBannon
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

To: ccmay
I missed that, maybe they are taking the class because she is the only woman on board??? That's a healthy sign to me!!
16 posted on 11/01/2001 2:18:53 AM PST by RaceBannon
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

To: RaceBannon
During duty of North Ireland because of the nature of the tour, you were confined to the block houses, the facilities were not the best, just bunk beds and lockers for kit, a few showers, you were either on patrol or waiting to go on patrol or waiting as a quick reaction force to any emergency.

The place was airless and cramped, not many ways to let of steam, the incidents of fights between the lads increased, if some one pissed you of there was no escape.

It was the more intellectual challenges that helped holdback the boredom and the stress of doing nothing in between patrols, and helped reduce fights, Chess tournaments, studying a foreign language and yes even a few time poetry, it was on such a tour that I heard of Wilfred Owen.

Tony

17 posted on 11/01/2001 2:27:52 AM PST by tonycavanagh
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

To: RaceBannon
Yes American Badass would be a rallying anthem.
18 posted on 11/01/2001 2:33:54 AM PST by jjbrouwer
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

To: tonycavanagh
I have only heard of Wilfred Owen through a documentary seen over here. He spent time in the asylum for shell shock, but they did mention he was a poet, and thatwas why they covered him. He had a brother, too in the war, lost him early? Also, didnt wilfred Owen die on almost the last day?
19 posted on 11/01/2001 2:37:33 AM PST by RaceBannon
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 17 | View Replies]

To: jjbrouwer
I used to blare Rory Gallagher before football games, that or Double-Live Gonzo, but our C.O like "Nobody does it better" for some reason....
20 posted on 11/01/2001 2:42:31 AM PST by RaceBannon
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 18 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-8081-95 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson