Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

A Deliberate Strategy of Disruption
Washington Post ^ | 11/04/2001 | Staff

Posted on 11/03/2001 7:30:00 PM PST by l33t

Edited on 09/03/2002 4:49:30 AM PDT by Jim Robinson. [history]

Exactly 23 minutes before suspected terrorist plot leader Mohamed Atta acquired a Florida driver's license, a 28-year-old Pakistani gas station attendant got his license renewed at the same motor vehicles' branch. For that reason, Mohammad Mubeen was standing in a tiny courtroom wearing an orange jumpsuit last Monday afternoon, one of more than 1,100 people ensnared in a nationwide hunt for terrorists.

(Excerpt) Read more at washingtonpost.com ...

TOPICS: News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-36 next last

1 posted on 11/03/2001 7:30:00 PM PST by l33t
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: l33t
Outstanding article. Of course, my reaction is not what the Washington Post intended. Everything they list as an abuse by the government, I think is a good idea...:) Non-citizens are visitors, here at our sufferance. Nothing more. And if they don't like it here, they should leave.
2 posted on 11/03/2001 7:41:15 PM PST by JD86
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Why was an attendent from a Pakistani gas station getting a Fl license?
3 posted on 11/03/2001 7:42:11 PM PST by Apollo

To: JD86
So let it be written, so let it be done.
4 posted on 11/03/2001 7:42:21 PM PST by anniegetyourgun
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: l33t; ipaq2000; Lent; veronica; Sabramerican; beowolf; Nachum; BenF; monkeyshine; angelo...
BTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
5 posted on 11/03/2001 7:45:06 PM PST by dennisw

To: dennisw
I feel so bad, I could cry.
6 posted on 11/03/2001 7:48:52 PM PST by Concentrate
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

Ditto your reaction to Washington Post article.

I can only thank God once again that Gore is not at the helm.

7 posted on 11/03/2001 7:49:00 PM PST by Dixielander

Elfar still is being held in the Mississippi County jail in southeast Missouri. "This is what I do not understand," Elfar said in a telephone interview from the jail, three hours from St. Louis. "When I took the test, the agent promised that if I was clear, I would not be under arrest anymore."

LOL sorry. Wrong answer. Thanks for playing.

8 posted on 11/03/2001 7:49:27 PM PST by VA Advogado

It is definitely a good start.
9 posted on 11/03/2001 7:49:59 PM PST by l33t

Of course, my reaction is not what the Washington Post intended. Everything they list as an abuse by the government, I think is a good idea...:)

Yeppers.

Personally, I'd interview 'em under Mossad standards.

10 posted on 11/03/2001 7:50:07 PM PST by The Other Harry

the government has adopted a deliberate strategy of disruption -- locking up large numbers of Middle Eastern men, using whatever legal tools they can.

Well I'll be damned! ... deliberately disrupting terrorism? ... locking up large numbers of ragheads? ... Call Jessie Jackass, the ACLU, NOW, and CNN. They must put a stop to this madness!

11 posted on 11/03/2001 7:56:29 PM PST by slimer

Comment #12 Removed by Moderator

War is hell! but We didn't start it-complaints about inconveniences should be made to those responsible, Usama, or Osama Bin Laden and his retarded admirers and followers.
13 posted on 11/03/2001 8:08:48 PM PST by F.J. Mitchell

He probably would have been flogged with a goats-hair whip in any muslim nation just for the unsheathed shoulders of the woman appearing on the cover of the woman's day magazine he was selling at the gas station in FL.
14 posted on 11/03/2001 8:09:02 PM PST by readyourhistory

To: VA Advogado
LOL
15 posted on 11/03/2001 8:10:58 PM PST by NotJustAnotherPrettyFace
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

To: l33t; OLDWORD
This is an excellent article demonstrating that the government, led by Attorney General Ashcroft, is using all possible legal steps to ferret out all the facts and participants in the attacks on 911, AND to disrupt future possible terrorist activities. It is clear that the sympathies of Bob Woodward and the Washington Post are with the detainees, more than with the Americans who WILL be killed in future terrorist attacks, if not prevented.

There is one, overwhelming factual error in the article. however. It quotes defense lawyers as comparing this pattern of detentions with "the internment of 110,000 Japanese-Americans at the start of World War II."

It is to be expected that criminal defense lawyers, who in my judgment as a lawyer are lowest of the low, would make such an allegation. But it reprehensible that Woodward, who is allegedly a competent reporter, and the Post which pretends to be a competent newspaper, would let this pass without pointing out it is factually and legally false.

I wrote my sixth book, Manzanar, on the Japanese-American situation. 110,000 WERE jailed in barbed wire camps, from states west of the Mississippi (except from Hawaii, for interesting reasons I explore in my book). The critical point, which made it unconstitutional as ruled by a lower federal court and allowed to stand by the Supreme Court, is that NONE OF THESE PEOPLE WERE CHARGED WITH OR CONVICTED OF ANY CRIME.

By contrast, every one of the some 1,147 "detainees" now has been held under specific and individual legal grounds, established in a court of law. THAT is why what is being done now is entirely different from what was done then,

The Washington Post should be as well aware of the history of Fred Korematsu and his challenge to the internment of him and his family, as I am. They could d*mned well look it up, if they are not. I conclude that the Post is lying by omission about the Japanese-American internments, in order to advance its political agenda concerning the current detentions.

The (More er Less) Honorable Billybob,
cyberCongressman from Western Carolina

Click here and go to "ALCU Watch" for "The Law of War," a detailed legal discussion of how the US declares war, both historically and in this instance.

For a clear discussion of the difference between what the US can constitutionally do in wartime with aliens (but NOT with US citizens of foreign extraction), see my book, Manzanar, published in 1988.

16 posted on 11/03/2001 8:12:57 PM PST by Congressman Billybob

The Pakistani was here illegally. He should have been deported; not released.
17 posted on 11/03/2001 8:31:11 PM PST by PatriotGames

Aw, after being released from detention, Azbati "ripped up his pilot's license" and went back to Egypt.

We'll miss him.

18 posted on 11/03/2001 8:38:24 PM PST by patriciaruth

This is unreal. How come Bob Woodward did NO investigative reporting while Clintoon and Hitlary were in power - talk about abuse of power.

My goodness, I'd call this \\\\biased, leftist, slanted, UNAmerican CRAPola!!!!! Move to Afghanistan, Woodard. Be G O N E!!!!

19 posted on 11/03/2001 8:59:43 PM PST by Gracey

To: Gracey; dennisw
How come Bob Woodward did NO investigative reporting while Clintoon and Hitlary were in power -

Woodward is an old fraud, IMO... the press hated Nixon long before he became President for having the temerity to rout out subversives- like this guy did:

Tailgunner Joe--Patriot Whistleblower or Right-Wing Witch-hunter?

20 posted on 11/04/2001 1:12:18 AM PST by backhoe
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 19 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-36 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson