Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Network Coverage a Target of Fire From Conservatives
New York Times ^ | Wednesday, November 7, 2001 | By JIM RUTENBERG and BILL CARTER

Posted on 11/07/2001 12:35:02 AM PST by JohnHuang2

November 7, 2001

Network Coverage a Target of Fire From Conservatives

By JIM RUTENBERG and BILL CARTER

As television news networks cover the war, they are increasingly coming under criticism from conservatives who say they exhibit a lack of patriotism or are overly negative toward the government.

Although the networks say the criticism is not affecting their coverage, they are having to sort through basic issues like whether patriotism can coexist with objectivity and how to raise tough questions about the policies of an administration that is receiving overwhelming popular support.

Much of the criticism comes from a group of conservative media voices and outlets, including Rush Limbaugh's radio talk show, The New York Post's editorial page, The Drudge Report and some commentators on the Fox News Channel. Much of the information for their critiques has been assembled by a conservative media watchdog organization called the Media Research Council, which hires full-time monitors to watch the network newscasts.

These outlets have kept tabs on the media for some time and were on the opposite side of the White House for the Clinton presidency.

How their criticism will affect coverage of the war in the future is an open question. But news executives at CNN, ABC and MSNBC said they were conscious of the criticism while making their day-to-day decisions about coverage.

"Any misstep and you can get into trouble with these guys and have the Patriotism Police hunt you down," said Erik Sorenson, president of MSNBC. "These are hard jobs. Just getting the facts straight is monumentally difficult. We don't want to have to wonder if we are saluting properly. Was I supposed to use the three-fingered salute today?"

One executive said that while there have always been conservative critics, the current criticism could have a more volatile effect because of the fears and sentiments of a major part of the audience.

Twice last week, networks made decisions, at least in part, to smother accusations that they lacked patriotism or were skewing coverage toward the enemy. CNN decided to require that reports of civilian casualties in Afghanistan be balanced with reminders of the Sept. 11 toll.

And the president of ABC News, David Westin, apologized after being criticized by Mr. Limbaugh, among others, for telling a roomful of Columbia University journalism students that as the head of a news division striving for objectivity he had no opinion on whether the Pentagon could be considered a legitimate enemy target.

Executives at ABC News said Mr. Westin decided to apologize because he realized that the comment — made in answer to a question — seemed unduly cold and inappropriate. But they also acknowledged that they were eager to stop an onslaught of negative public attention.

Until Sept. 11, CBS and Dan Rather often drew the sharpest criticism from conservatives. But ABC News has now emerged as the leading target. This became evident early in the coverage when Mr. Limbaugh reported, erroneously, that the ABC News anchor, Peter Jennings, had been highly critical of the president on Sept. 11 for not returning to Washington immediately after learning about the attacks. ABC was flooded with complaints.

Though Mr. Limbaugh reported that Mr. Jennings had said, "Maybe it's wise that certain presidents just not try to address the people of the country," Mr. Jennings had actually made a general statement about presidents. "The country looks to the president on occasions like this to be reassuring to the nation," Mr. Jennings had said. "Some presidents do it well, some presidents don't."

Mr. Limbaugh corrected the report, but Mr. Jennings and ABC News have remained in the sights of some conservative commentators and journalists ever since. Yesterday, the Media Research Council released a report that said "World News Tonight With Peter Jennings" had shown far more reports about claimed civilian deaths in Afghanistan than had "NBC Nightly News with Tom Brokaw" or "CBS Evening News with Dan Rather."

"ABC knows that the despotic Taliban are using both real and phony instances of U.S. errors to undermine our war against terror," the report said. "But, at least so far, its correspondents have reserved most of their skepticism for America."

In an interview, Mr. Jennings disputed charges of bias but said he did not have time to investigate the claims.

Rich Noyes, the Media Resource Council's director of analysis, said, "CBS and NBC have been showing much more balance than ABC." He added, "Dan Rather has just been fine on this one."

Mr. Noyes said that the other conservative media outlets often fed off reports from his group. For instance, the group was the first to report Mr. Westin's comments to the journalism students, in an e-mail report it sends out to its supporters. From there, the item was first picked up by the editorial page of The Post. The following day, it appeared on The Drudge Report on the Internet and on Mr. Limbaugh's radio show.

Mr. Noyes said Mr. Westin was wise to apologize. "It defused the story," he said. "ABC wanted us to add the apology to our original report and we did that."

One ABC News executive, Tom Bettag, said: "I think David was smart to say, `You want an apology? You get an apology. I'll apologize and let's get on with the important things.' It's truthfully not necessary to have an apology for that."

Though the apology may have stopped the progression of the news item, it has prompted debate over journalistic etiquette in wartime. Brit Hume, the Fox News Channel anchor, said that in this conflict, traditional rules no longer applied.

"Look, neutrality as a general principle is an appropriate concept for journalists who are covering institutions of some comparable quality," Mr. Hume said. "This is a conflict between the United States and murdering barbarians."

Still, he has complimented CNN on its new policy on reporting civilian deaths.

For Education And Discussion Only. Not For Commercial Use.

TOPICS: News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-65 next last

Oops!

A buoyant air of excitement swept the newsrooms with "reports" -- ostensibly from 'credible' 'sources' -- of a U.S. Helicopter crash in Pakistan, allegedly killing four American military personnel.

Amid the pea soup muddle and haze (the 'Fog of War), reporters at times can be excused for the occasional -- but inexorable -- flubs and stumbles, but not this time.

Despite the holes and flaws, CNN ran with the story, posting it prominently on their website during the wee hours of Tuesday morning.

Not to be scooped -- or out-maneuvered in the pro-Taliban propaganda department -- United Press International did likewise, embellishing the narrative with embroidered tales -- straight from the orifices of Taliban "officials" -- of Afghan "fighters" walloping the chopper before it made its way back into Pakistani territory.

And when did this skirmish allegedly occur?

Not Tuesday, nor Monday, mind you, but on Sunday!

The fact that these enemy claims of 'heroic' success suddenly surfaced against the backdrop of palpable advancement on the battlefront by U.S. forces and the Northern Alliance should have raised skeptical eyebrows, but the pallbearers in the press were too busy attending a *funeral* to notice.

What 'funeral'? Why, that of Operation Enduring Freedom, of course! You see, the all-knowing, all-wise, all-seeing media elite have already declared our military operation a fizzling flop. News dispatches for weeks have read more like obituaries -- buzzwords such as quagmire, fiasco, debacle, etc., sprinkled ghoulishly throughout.

Memo to the Pallbearers: Check the Casket -- it's empty.

I'm reminded of that Mark Twain classic: "The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated".

And speaking of fizzling flops, ultimately that's what became of the Helicopter crash tale.

By midmorning, the newsiews stupid enough to have swallowed the Talibani ruse were backtracking -- if ever so gingerly.

Yesterday's Pentagon news briefing was priceless.

One of the reporters, broaching the subject, asked U.S. Defense chief Donald Rumsfeld if he could clarify the claims that four U.S. servicemen were killed in the crash.

In his unique, inimitable way, the Secretary wondered aloud what the heck the buffoon was talking about.

"Four service members were killed?", he asked.

"Could it have been another Taliban report?", he laughed.

"They [the Taliban] are very busy, those folks", he quipped.

In an obvious jab at the press, he said "they [the Taliban] must have a hot line right into the media all across the globe".

Take that, CNN!

Secretary Rumsfeld is not one to mince any words, and he certainly wasn't mincing any at that briefing.

Looking the assembled throng squarely in the eye, he reiterated that "when we have a Helicopter that goes down, no matter for what purpose, WE TELL YOU".

Rumsfeld memo to the press hacks: Next time, before trafficking in rumors and ending up with egg on your mug, check with me first.

My two cents..
"JohnHuang2"

1 posted on 11/07/2001 12:35:02 AM PST by JohnHuang2
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: Hugh Akston; xm177e2; mercy; hole_n_one; GretchenEE; Clinton's a rapist; buffyt; ladyinred...

2 posted on 11/07/2001 12:36:00 AM PST by JohnHuang2
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Comment #3 Removed by Moderator

>>...like whether patriotism can coexist with objectivity<<<

They wouldn't know "objectivity" if it reared it's head and bit them ontheass.

4 posted on 11/07/2001 12:43:01 AM PST by fone
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

..."Just getting the facts straight is monumentally difficult."...

HAH! They admit their ineptitude!

5 posted on 11/07/2001 12:44:42 AM PST by fone
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

..."One executive [unnamed coward] said that while there have always been conservative critics, the current criticism could have a more volatile effect because of the fears and sentiments of a major part of the audience."...

GOT THAT? CONSERVATIVES are a "major part" of the audience.

6 posted on 11/07/2001 12:47:40 AM PST by fone
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: JohnHuang2
Gee, I miss all this crapola of the liberal media...by simply NEVER watching them!
7 posted on 11/07/2001 12:50:07 AM PST by D. Miles
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

..."Mr. [The THING] Jennings disputed charges of bias but said he did not have time to investigate the claims..."

WHY is that Peter?????? To busy touching up your scars from your frontal lobotomy?

8 posted on 11/07/2001 12:51:26 AM PST by fone
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

early in the coverage when Mr. Limbaugh reported, erroneously, that the ABC News anchor, Peter Jennings, had been highly critical of the president on Sept. 11 for not returning to Washington immediately after learning about the attacks

interesting since Limbaugh wasn't on the radio on Sept 11.... that outcry was prompted long before Limbaugh mentioned it.

9 posted on 11/07/2001 12:56:26 AM PST by GeronL

Oops! Now mail that the NY Times and see if they put it in the letters column.
10 posted on 11/07/2001 12:59:44 AM PST by GeronL

To: GeronL
I am REALLY getting tired of them throwing this up at Rush for 'getting it wrong'. I didn't need Rush to tell me what Jennings said: I heard it with my own two little ears!!! WE TOLD RUSH!!! Remember, he said he got hundreds of angry Emails. Every person I know who saw the coverage that day remarked about how Jennings slammed GWB all day.
11 posted on 11/07/2001 1:01:26 AM PST by SmartBlonde
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

To: GeronL
Now mail that the NY Times and see if they put it in the letters column.

There's not a snowball's chance in hades that they will ;^)

12 posted on 11/07/2001 1:09:26 AM PST by JohnHuang2
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

To: SmartBlonde
I agree with you completely: It was clear by his snide remarks that Jennings was implying that Bush was a quisling.

If ABCNEWS had a modicum of integrity, Jennings would have been fired long ago.

13 posted on 11/07/2001 1:11:55 AM PST by JohnHuang2
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

To: BurkeCalhounDabney
Why, that would be like the liberals suggesting that Rush Limbaugh was to blame for the Oklahoma City bombing!

Ah, and the "press" would never do that, of course </sarcasm>

14 posted on 11/07/2001 1:13:34 AM PST by JohnHuang2
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

These outlets have kept tabs on the media for some time and were on the opposite side of the White House for the Clinton presidency.

Could it possibly be that the networks switched and not "these outlets"?

15 posted on 11/07/2001 1:13:57 AM PST by monocle

To: SmartBlonde
I didn't need Rush to tell me what Jennings said: I heard it with my own two little ears!!!

Exact-amundo dear freeper!
On 9/11/01 our local radio station pre-emptied programming (natch) with ABC "coverage" as I listened (cringe) to Peter "the THING" Jennings I wanted to puke. Truly.
I have made every effort to avoid that lazy-eyed muck on TV and the only station I could hear covered him.

Admittedly, I was a bit too distressed about the entire situation to be really upset with him, but every other word out of his mouth was cause to give me palpatations.

I was outraged at the things he said. THAT without benefit of Rush's two cents.
Sometimes I think they just "don't get it." We do NOT take orders from RUSH. He just verbalizes what many of us feel on some subjects.

Pull that Canucks' visa....please?

16 posted on 11/07/2001 1:14:01 AM PST by fone
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

Loved your two cents worth.
17 posted on 11/07/2001 1:16:37 AM PST by CWOJackson

To: CWOJackson
Thanks, amigo =^)
18 posted on 11/07/2001 1:20:13 AM PST by JohnHuang2
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 17 | View Replies]

"These are hard jobs. Just getting the facts straight is monumentally difficult. We don't want to have to wonder if we are saluting properly. Was I supposed to use the three-fingered salute today?"

Incredibly, getting facts straight from the Taliban seems to be their mission. And they wonder why Fox news has become so popular.

19 posted on 11/07/2001 1:22:52 AM PST by dokmad

To: dokmad
Those who wish to see just how awful the press's prejudices are need look no further than here:

-Media Research-free e-letter

-Reed Irvine's Accuracy in Media

-the Ben Franklin Foundation--

-Citizen's Coalition for Responsible Media--

20 posted on 11/07/2001 1:29:15 AM PST by backhoe
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 19 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-65 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson