Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Mosques say sorry to attack vicar
This is Bradford ^ | 7 November 01 | Alexandra Phillips

Posted on 11/07/2001 10:18:19 AM PST by BritBulldog

Muslim leaders have pledged to attend a service at the Bradford church attacked by young Asians and apologise to the congregation.

The move by the Council of Mosques comes after a meeting at the home of the Bishop of Bradford, the Right Reverend David Smith, for crisis talks following the attack on St Phillip's Church, Girlington.

The Anglican church was stormed by a gang of up to 50 Asian youths who dragged rubbish into the church and set light to it, smashed a stained glass window dating back to 1860, tossed hymn books around and destroyed furniture.

The church's vicar, the Reverend Tony Tooby, was racially abused and had the back windscreen of his car smashed after he tried to flee the baying mob.

Today, the Bishop, who also invited Christians, business leaders, and youth workers to his home last night, said there was unqualified condemnation of the attacks. "It was a long meeting and a very helpful and positive one," he said. And it was decided that representatives from the Council for Mosques should visit St Phillip's service on Sunday to apologise to the congregation for the attacks.

The Bishop said there had been other problems at the church. He said: "We heard that certain uniformed organisations which used St Philip's have found premises elsewhere because of abuse and this is very sad news. "People expressed very open opinions and we will now work together for a better future." Another meeting has been scheduled to take place when plans will be made to raise funds for support for relief work in Afghanistan.

Sher Azam, president for the Council for Mosques, said the Muslim community was giving as much support as it could to all people in Girlington. "Church leaders and members of the Muslim community have condemned the attack," he said. "We will work together to stop these people who are trying to ruin the relationship between the Muslim community and people of other faiths." And Ghulam Rasul, also of the Council for Mosques, said the people who carried out the attack were "sick." "To burn places of worship, churches or mosques, is unthinkable - I don't think these people can ever have gone to these places or have any idea of their value. "We are really sorry about this and share the anger and frustration of the community at what's happened."

But despite his terrifying experience Mr Tooby, 43, said he had no intention of leaving the church he has served for four years. "The relationships between Muslims and Christians around this area are generally very good," he said. "I believe that there is only a small percentage of the Muslim people, like there is in the white communities, who try to destroy anything that's good. "It's a shame but it hasn't affected me and I intend to carry on serving the community I love."

And the man charged with leading policing in the area, Chief Superintendent Phil Read, appealed for calm and urged others to resist "tit-for-tat" attacks. "I would issue a strong appeal for calm," Chief Supt Read said. "This has been an abhorrent, despicable attack in my view, and the church has suffered a pattern of harassment. We are looking at security issues at all places of worship." Ch Supt Read said security at all places of worship had been stepped up in Bradford since September 11. And regular meetings were taking place between the police and representatives of different faith groups to keep the peace in the city despite heightened tensions caused by the war.

TOPICS: Crime/Corruption; Miscellaneous
KEYWORDS:
This a day or so after Muslim groups announced Islamic Awareness Week and wanted leading politians to sign a pledge of tolerance to the Muslim faith. Ha! ha!
1 posted on 11/07/2001 10:18:19 AM PST by BritBulldog
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: BritBulldog
Ah Islam, the religion of "peace".

Is there anyone left who buys that cr@p?

2 posted on 11/07/2001 10:29:26 AM PST by BenF
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

This a day or so after Muslim groups announced Islamic Awareness Week and wanted leading politians to sign a pledge of tolerance to the Muslim faith

It's a bass-ackwards world.

The evidence I've seen (including the murder of Christians worshipping inside a church in Pakistan last week) is that we need Muslim politicians to sign a pledge of tolerance to the Christian and Jewish faiths.

3 posted on 11/07/2001 10:32:53 AM PST by gumbo

where are the oi boys?
4 posted on 11/07/2001 10:34:11 AM PST by Rustynailww

To: BenF
Yeah, the Media, our President and every Western politician.
5 posted on 11/07/2001 10:37:37 AM PST by GuillermoX
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

Sher Azam, president for the Council for Mosques, said the Muslim community was giving as much support as it could to all people in Girlington.

Boy, we haven't seen a lot of this lately, have we? Thank heaven for small favors.

6 posted on 11/07/2001 10:38:14 AM PST by AmishDude

To: gumbo
The evidence I've seen (including the murder of Christians worshipping inside a church in Pakistan last week) is that we need Muslim politicians to sign a pledge of tolerance to the Christian and Jewish faiths.

To his shame Tony Blair signed it

7 posted on 11/07/2001 10:39:06 AM PST by BritBulldog
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

To: Rustynailww
Thanks to the powers that be, they have been condemned more viciously than anyone for defending their own.
8 posted on 11/07/2001 10:47:32 AM PST by mxbluto
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

To his shame Tony Blair signed it

It'd be fine if he'd signed it IF he'd demanded a pledge in kind from Muslim pols and leaders.

9 posted on 11/07/2001 10:51:07 AM PST by gumbo
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

The church's vicar, the Reverend Tony Tooby, was racially abused and had the back windscreen of his car smashed after he tried to flee the baying mob.

Anyone have a clue what is involved in being racially abused?

10 posted on 11/07/2001 11:00:41 AM PST by falfa

To: falfa
Anyone have a clue what is involved in being racially abused?

Heard him speaking on the radio this morning. Apparently they called him a "white bastard".

11 posted on 11/07/2001 11:05:57 AM PST by BritBulldog
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

Isn't Islam a religion of peace?
12 posted on 11/07/2001 11:08:39 AM PST by sheik yerbouty

To: sheik yerbouty
Isn't Islam a religion of peace?

So they keep saying, but actions speak louder that words

13 posted on 11/07/2001 11:10:32 AM PST by BritBulldog
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

They are 'sorry' in the same way that Arafag 'regrets' the Israeli kids dying by suicide bombers.

It's like a kid that hit another kid, then says..."You can't hit me back because I said I'm sorry."

What goes around, comes around.

14 posted on 11/07/2001 11:16:17 AM PST by beowolf

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson