News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Taleban Retreat Could Take War Across Border
The Times (UK) ^ | 11-08-2001 | Oliver August

Posted on 11/07/2001 4:31:52 PM PST by blam

Taleban retreat could take war across border

FROM OLIVER AUGUST IN BEIJING

EMBATTLED Taleban forces in northern Afghanistan are trying to cross into Tajikistan, threatening to spread armed conflict in Central Asia.
Russian guards along the Tajik border have been involved in intense fighting with retreating Taleban units after recent US bombing raids. A group of armed men approached one border point at midnight on Sunday and opened fire in an attempt to cross into Tajikistan. They retreated 30 minutes later when Russian guards called in reinforcements, but an eventual mass exodus could endanger US bases in the region.

Taleban commanders are said to have held regular talks with their Tajik counterparts over possible escape routes. The remote Afghan-Tajik border is practically impossible to seal, even with almost 20,000 Russian soldiers deployed.

Taleban forces in northern Afghanistan are led by Juma Namangani, a notorious Central Asian guerrilla, who maintains a fiercely defended base on Tajik territory and enjoys considerable support in parts of the country. Namangani, an Uzbek national and fundamentalist Muslim, fought for five years in the mid-90s Tajik civil war. He is Central Asia’s most wanted man after Osama bin Laden having carried out several failed assassination attempts against President Karimov of Uzbekistan.

Namangani commands about 10,000 non-Afghan fighters, including Tajiks, Pakistanis and Chechens, near the city of Taloqan in northern Afghanistan. He is said to be part of the Taleban high command, but his troops have recently been cut off from supply routes, making defeat and a hasty exodus more likely.

The departure of thousands of Taleban troops from Afghanistan to Tajikistan would signal a momentary victory for the Northern Alliance but could destabilise neighbouring countries with large Muslim populations.

Encouraged by the influx of Taleban fighters, extremists in Tajikistan and Uzbekistan are likely to oppose American use of local air bases. It is also feared that the Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan (IMU), led by Namangani and listed by the White House as a terror group, would trigger violent clashes and undermine the safety of US servicemen in the region.

The BBC Monitoring Service reported from local sources this week: “Representatives of the IMU are holding talks with Tajik field commanders on the possibility of returning to their detachments in Tajikistan. It looks as if the darkest predictions of the Central Asian special services on how the situation could develop are coming true.”

Tajikistan is fast emerging as one of the hottest military prizes in the region. The Northern Alliance has long received supplies from the former Soviet republic. Now, Taleban forces are keen to use the country as a possible escape route.

Simultaneously, the US is seeking to base fighter aircraft at three Tajik air bases. Donald Rumsfeld, the US Defence Secretary, visited the country last week as Washington seemed to lean towards the eventual deployment of ground troops in Afghanistan.

Land-based airstrikes would be easier than using carrier-based warplanes and long-range bombers, the Pentagon said this week.

TOPICS: Foreign Affairs; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
The Russians need to step forward and stop this escape.
1 posted on 11/07/2001 4:31:52 PM PST by blam
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: blam
I wonder if they have a Rooskie version of the daisy cutter?
2 posted on 11/07/2001 4:39:24 PM PST by error99
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: error99
"I wonder if they have a Rooskie version of the daisy cutter?"

We'll wind up having to do this all by ourselves, just watch.

3 posted on 11/07/2001 4:54:07 PM PST by blam
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

Well this explains the reports today about Tajikistan suddenly being ready for US troops to stage out of their bases.
4 posted on 11/07/2001 4:55:47 PM PST by Straight Vermonter

I somehow can't help but think they would like a little parity for their prior defeat in the area.
Plus the knowledge that whoever they allow through the border they will have to fight eventually in Chechnya or elsewhere
5 posted on 11/07/2001 4:56:01 PM PST by error99
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

Comment #6 Removed by Moderator

Comment #7 Removed by Moderator

To: Otis-James
"Are the gonna get away in Datsun pickups on the "main (cratered) 'highway'", or will they use 90cc bikes on the back roads?"

No doubt JSTARS have them under survelience?

8 posted on 11/07/2001 5:11:32 PM PST by blam
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

I think the Russians are stepping up to the plate. Why do you think that W has been working with Putin? If the Russians have 20,000 men in position, this seems to me that they mean business. Remember, this part of the country was their turf before the break-up of the Soviet Union. Look at a map pre-2001. Watch, look, and review history.
9 posted on 11/07/2001 5:15:02 PM PST by Cobra64

To: error99
Lol the Russians will massacre anyone they think remotely resemble Taleban, this is not even an afterthought. These guys are their worst enemies and would have loved the green light from us years ago to nuke this whole area. It would be like Iraqi armed forces trying to fight through a U.S. border check, not today. Maybe a few in disguise but not with weapons going in full retreat, there would be alot of dead Taliwackers, if they try to invade any area with Russian troups.
10 posted on 11/07/2001 5:16:41 PM PST by veryconernedamerican
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

Comment #11 Removed by Moderator

To: Cobra64
"I think the Russians are stepping up to the plate."

I hope so. I know the area, ex-Soviet Union, I lived through the entire cold war.

12 posted on 11/07/2001 5:19:44 PM PST by blam
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

I think those Soviet troops are sitting there hoping for Taliwackers to get anywhere within range, any excuse to engage would be enough, and they cannot afford to be defeated, national pride is at stake, no if they try to go through Russian troups allah will be there to greet them.
13 posted on 11/07/2001 5:24:01 PM PST by veryconernedamerican
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

Comment #14 Removed by Moderator

To: Mert
I think YOU "still don't get it..."
Yes, we have been missing the point for years -
somehow, I think that has changed,

Slowly, because we still want to believe that everyone else thinks the same way we think ...

But the present situation has forced reconsideration.

Don't look for a one-eighty in this short period of time unless you'd prefer Pearl Harbor II.

15 posted on 11/07/2001 5:39:09 PM PST by norton
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

Taliban retreat? NO! How can that be? I thought WE were losing the war? And we were just slaughtering civilians.

Here's another example of trying to create defeat out of victory: "The departure of thousands of Taleban troops from Afghanistan to Tajikistan would signal a momentary victory for the Northern Alliance but could destabilise neighbouring countries with large Muslim populations."

Run them up and put them in prison camps until the interogators squeeze them dry, then drop them on the Andaman Islands.

16 posted on 11/07/2001 7:56:13 PM PST by Kermit

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson