Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Taliban abandon surrender after "prophetic dream"
Independent News | November 20, 2001 | Justin Huggler

Posted on 11/19/2001 3:24:22 PM PST by lugsoul

Taliban abandon surrender plan after 'prophetic dream' War on Terrorism: Kandahar

By Justin Huggler

20 November 2001

The Taliban have abandoned plans to surrender their spiritual heartland in Kandahar because of a prophetic dream Mullah Mohammed Omar had, according to the brother of a senior opposition figure.

The southern city of Kandahar was where the Taliban first emerged, and Kandahar is where they are making what could be their last stand. With Kunduz in the north, Kandahar is one of only two cities in Afghanistan still under Taliban control, and Mullah Omar, the one-eyed commander considered by the Taliban to be the supreme leader of all Muslims, is believed to be inside the city.

Recent reports suggested that Mullah Omar, facing almost certain defeat, had agreed to surrender Kandahar. But yesterday Ahmad Karzai, whose brother Hamid has been negotiating with the Taliban for the surrender of the city, said Mullah Omar had changed his mind because he had had a prophetic dream in which he remained in power. "I have had a dream in which I am in charge for as long as I live," Mr Karzai quoted Mullah Omar as saying.

But there were reports that thousands of Taliban were fleeing across the border south into Pakistan. Unlike in Kunduz, where they are surrounded by Northern Alliance forces and trapped, in Kandahar the Taliban can easily escape. There were reports yesterday that 3,000 may have fled into Pakistan. That will raise fears of instability spreading from Afghanistan into Pakistan. It is a possibility many Afghans, bitter at the Pakistan government's earlier backing for the Taliban, speak of with relish. But it will make the blood of Western governments run cold – Pakistan is a nuclear power.

Kandahar is the main city of the ethnic, Pashtun-dominated south, where the Northern Alliance, who swept through most of the country including the capital Kabul, have no support. The Americans have instead backed opposition Pashtun warlords. That tactic looked to be going horribly wrong when Abdul Haq was captured by the Taliban and hanged in Kabul. But now the opposition warlords have swept the Taliban from power in much of the south, on the back of Kabul's fall.

Mullah Omar had reportedly agreed to withdraw the Taliban into the hills and surrender control of Kandahar to Mullah Naqibullah and Haji Bashar, former mujahideen commanders who fought against the Soviets. But the Taliban insisted they were still in control in Kandahar.

TOPICS: Breaking News; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-80 ... 121-126 next last
"I am in charge for as long as I live." - Sure, Omar - I believe that can be arranged.
1 posted on 11/19/2001 3:24:22 PM PST by lugsoul
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: lugsoul
The guy is a psycho.
2 posted on 11/19/2001 3:27:24 PM PST by b4its2late
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

"..and Mullah Omar, the one-eyed commander..."

This guy is truly a one-eyed monster.

ugh...

3 posted on 11/19/2001 3:27:51 PM PST by TheLooseThread

Ah. The good mullah probably had a nightmare featuring Ol' Sparky...
4 posted on 11/19/2001 3:27:57 PM PST by Cachelot

What a hilarious last-ditch effort!

Of course, if this is report true, most likely the Taliban will lose, and Omar will lose all credibility for spreading a false prophecy.

And that's a good thing.

5 posted on 11/19/2001 3:28:03 PM PST by Silly

To: b4its2late
Don't forget - he has brain tremors and thinks Allah is talking to him.
6 posted on 11/19/2001 3:28:18 PM PST by Steven W.
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

Mullah Omar had changed his mind because he had had a prophetic dream in which he remained in power. "I have had a dream in which I am in charge for as long as I live," Mr Karzai quoted Mullah Omar as saying.

I think he's right, and his time in power is measured in hours.

7 posted on 11/19/2001 3:29:16 PM PST by Ditto

Omar needs a neurologist ASAP if he lives through the next few days. His literal brain damage is showing clearly.
8 posted on 11/19/2001 3:29:49 PM PST by meridia

To: b4its2late
Someone lift his patch and make sure that's not Al Haig.
9 posted on 11/19/2001 3:30:04 PM PST by MHGinTN
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: Ditto
"I have had a dream in which I am in charge for as long as I live," Mr Karzai quoted Mullah Omar as saying.

HE STOLE THIS FROM HILLARY ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

10 posted on 11/19/2001 3:30:40 PM PST by UCANSEE2
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

To: MHGinTN
Someone lift his patch and make sure that's not Al Haig.

LOL

11 posted on 11/19/2001 3:31:15 PM PST by Lazamataz
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

So the cyclops is having prophetic dreams. I think it has to do with the fact that he is mentally ill.
12 posted on 11/19/2001 3:31:25 PM PST by Dengar01

The Taliban is run by an epileptic seizure.

Time to lance the boil.

13 posted on 11/19/2001 3:32:28 PM PST by Diogenesis

The Taliban have abandoned plans to surrender their spiritual heartland in Kandahar because of a prophetic dream Mullah Mohammed Omar had

These guys just do not have a very firm grasp of reality, do they?

14 posted on 11/19/2001 3:34:48 PM PST by Dan Day

in Kandahar the Taliban can easily escape. There were reports yesterday that 3,000 may have fled into Pakistan.
Nov. 9, as the Taliban, Pakistan and the US were caught by surprise and suddenly realised what was going to unfold, the Pakistanis sent 20,000 soldiers across the border. What comes up must come down ...
15 posted on 11/19/2001 3:34:58 PM PST by Milosevic2

Comment #16 Removed by Moderator

"I have had a dream in which I am in charge for as long as I live," Mr Karzai quoted Mullah Omar as saying.

Aye, there's the catch...

17 posted on 11/19/2001 3:35:28 PM PST by Dan Day

To: Diogenesis
That's funny; I had a prophetic dream that looked a lot like that too. But it wasn't as favorable to Omar as his dream must have been.
18 posted on 11/19/2001 3:35:35 PM PST by pttttt
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

Mullah Omar had changed his mind because he had had a prophetic dream in which he remained in power. "I have had a dream in which I am in charge for as long as I live,"

Ooops.

19 posted on 11/19/2001 3:36:07 PM PST by Thinkin' Gal

We better get this insane fool and GET HIM FAST.
20 posted on 11/19/2001 3:38:18 PM PST by Two Thirds Vote Aye

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-80 ... 121-126 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson