Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Fur Flies at Fox Over Geraldo
NewsMax.com ^ | Wednesday, Nov. 21, 2001 | Carl Limbacher and NewsMax.com Staff

Posted on 11/21/2001 5:31:49 PM PST by Jean S

The arrival of Geraldo Rivera is causing a big stink at Fox News Channel, the New York Times says.

"One unhappy camper was the Fox commentator Sean Hannity," network star Bill O'Reilly told Geraldo on the air that the audience didn't want him, and some staffers bristled at working with the longtime Clinton idolator (who recently saw the light about Slick Willie in a sudden and mysterious conversion).

Some think foxy Fox News chief exec Roger Ailes snagged Geraldo from CNBC to blunt critics who gripe that FNC doesn’t have the left-wing bias that the liberal establishment expects from the big media.

"If we were only interested in one point of view over here, we’d be CNN,” Ailes noted.

TOPICS: News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-80 ... 121 next last

1 posted on 11/21/2001 5:31:49 PM PST by Jean S
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: JeanS
Consider CNN your enemy....and put up a fight!
2 posted on 11/21/2001 5:33:31 PM PST by antivenom
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Ok, flame suit on. I thought it was a great business move by FOX and no I don't like Whoraldo. Can you think of a better place for him than Afganistan?
3 posted on 11/21/2001 5:34:42 PM PST by farmfriend

I change channel everytime Geraldo shows up. Sometimes I forget to change back. Fox will suffer for this decision.
4 posted on 11/21/2001 5:34:56 PM PST by blam

There have been damned few here who have taken more pot-shots at Geraldo over the last several years than Yours Truly. His unbelievable fawning over the Clintons served to...........keep me "regular".

However.........

My faith teaches the concept of "redemption". I'm starting to believe that Rivera had an epiphany following 9/11. Many people did; let's face it. I'm willing to give New Geraldo a chance. He does have skills, even if they've been MOST horribly misguided and misdirected for so long.

The jury's out, mind you, but I want to see what he's got. If he's come out of the Dark and into the Light, then more power to 'im. If it's all just an "act" to land a good gig, we'll see through it in a heartbeat.

5 posted on 11/21/2001 5:37:40 PM PST by RightOnline

Fur Flies with Fox Fans as well. I change the channel when the long-winded, turtleneck-wearing "war correspondent" shows his oil-can-harry mustache.

I gave him the benefit of the dubious doubt on Monday, when he babbled on for 10 minutes non-stop on Fox & Friends just after 6 a.m. I gave him a second benefit of the doubt when my only choice was john kerry during the 7:30 slot on Imus.

His creepy "interview commercials" cause me to dive for the remote NO MATTER WHAT I'm doing. FoxNews blew it, BIG TIME!

6 posted on 11/21/2001 5:38:35 PM PST by mombonn

To: blam
" I change channel everytime Geraldo shows up. Sometimes I forget to change back. Fox will suffer for this decision. "

Ditto.

7 posted on 11/21/2001 5:40:32 PM PST by Republic of Texas
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

To: farmfriend
Ok, flame suit on. I thought it was a great business move by FOX

I can think of nothing Fox could have done to betray their customer base more than hiring Geraldo.

Geraldo's never ending butt boy defense of Clinton’s numerous illegal and immoral activities and his bald face lies, stands for everything abhorrent to Fox's customers.

Just how stupid was hiring Geraldo? Let’s think…

After a deal with Clinton, gun maker Smith and Wesson's customers were so upset they spontaneously formed a national boycott. S&W would have gone bankrupt, and still may, except their parent company financed S&W's sale.

After a deal with Clinton, a financial company that hired Clinton to speak, had to cancel? the speech and apologize profusely because it upset their customers so much.

After becoming known as the "Clinton News Network" and the accompanying ratings slump, CNN is doing everything it can to rid itself of the Clinton moniker. CNN canned the CEO, a good friend of Clinton’s, and they are even hiring conservatives, unthinkable a short time ago.

After 8 years of Clinton, President Bush has set new records for the highest approval rating for the longest time on record.

After his never ending defense of Clinton, Geraldo's ratings were in the tank.

After Fox News Channel's ratings success, based on its conservative viewers, was hiring Geraldo the smart move?

I think Roger Ailes At Fox News Channel might start perusing the want ads, he might soon be on the street looking for work.

I know I will watch less of the Fox news channel because of this.

8 posted on 11/21/2001 5:42:13 PM PST by RJL
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

"If we were only interested in one point of view over here, we’d be CNN,” Ailes noted.

Snort! Great line.

9 posted on 11/21/2001 5:42:28 PM PST by TontoKowalski

To: farmfriend
Can you think of a better place for him than Afganistan?

Yeah, cleaning caves in Afganistan after suffering a permanent case of laryngitis.

10 posted on 11/21/2001 5:43:49 PM PST by mombonn
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

I told fox that I refuse to let Geraldo spew his crap in my house so I won't watch fox until he's gone.

The only way I know he's still there is from hearing it here at FR.
11 posted on 11/21/2001 5:46:38 PM PST by Randy Larsen

Check out Ashleigh Banfield at MSNBC - the girl in the bubble - is being chauferred around Afghanistan in an armored limo.
12 posted on 11/21/2001 5:48:06 PM PST by Lexington Green

To: RightOnline
My faith teaches the concept of "redemption". I'm starting to believe that Rivera had an epiphany following 9/11. Many people did; let's face it.

An epiphany in what respect? Almost EVERY American was outraged over Sept. 11th ... Geraldo was one of them. And he's made it clear in several interviews on Fox that he STILL doesn't think Clinton did anything wrong. Which mean his hideous attacks on Ken Starr will not be apologized for. Watch him ... but I won't and Fox will lose viewers as a result.

13 posted on 11/21/2001 5:48:21 PM PST by BunnySlippers
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: RJL
I actually agree with you but FOX has never shied away from controversy though and it has worked well for them. I see this as one more try at that. It may backfire on them but I can see why they did it. I still think it was a good business decision, we'll see how well it works for them.
14 posted on 11/21/2001 5:48:31 PM PST by farmfriend
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

To: RightOnline
Rivera hasn't changed. Here's a quote from him on Shepard Smith's about a week ago.

"Rivera told [Shepard] Smith that had he would have been more critical of Clinton "had he been guilty of peddling nuclear secrets" or "something more profoundly affecting the well being of the republic."

Rivera still ignores the crimes of Clinton and still says it's all sex.

15 posted on 11/21/2001 5:50:08 PM PST by ao98
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: mombonn
Given his track record with women, I think he will end up lower down.
16 posted on 11/21/2001 5:52:16 PM PST by farmfriend
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

To: Lexington Green
Check out Ashleigh Banfield at MSNBC - the girl in the bubble - is being chauferred around Afghanistan in an armored limo.

She not in an armoured limo but a bullit proof SUV. Big difference. I'm watching it right now. It's rather interesting. I can't blame NBC for hiring an armored SUV ... she mentioned one of the killed journalists stayed in her hotel. Any journalist who goes there runs a risk of being in the wrong place at the wrong time ... but there is absolutely nothing wrong with protecting yourself.

17 posted on 11/21/2001 5:53:04 PM PST by BunnySlippers
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

""If we were only interested in one point of view over here, we’d be CNN,” Ailes noted."

Sorry Roger, I'm not buying that!

There were plenty of other choices for "views from the left."

This choice brings to mind the scene in the movie Blazing Saddles when Hedely Lamar is selecting a new sherrif for Rock Ridge. Lamar: "Who could we find who would be so offensive to the citizens of Rock Ridge ( substitute Fox News) that they would never accept him?

18 posted on 11/21/2001 5:54:39 PM PST by fightu4it

To: Lexington Green
"Check out Ashleigh Banfield at MSNBC - the girl in the bubble - is being chauferred around Afghanistan in an armored limo."

I heard a journalist say today that he was paying an Afghan $100.00 a day just to cook carrots for him. lol

19 posted on 11/21/2001 5:56:55 PM PST by blam
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

IMHO Geraldo is a joke, BUT bailing on FOX because they made a boneheaded move is illustrative of why conservatives so frequently give up the war for the sake of a battle. In FOX NEWS we have the closest thing there is to a reasonable presentation of a conservative perspective in the media outlets. And, because we think they did a dumb thing, we'll just be content to let them drop. How incredibly short-sighted.
20 posted on 11/21/2001 5:56:55 PM PST by falfa

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-80 ... 121 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson