Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Some Christians Feel Called to Convert Muslims, Despite the Taliban's Threats
The Wall Street Journal ^ | Monday, November 26, 2001 | ROBERT TOMSHO

Posted on 11/26/2001 11:14:45 PM PST by TroutStalker

Edited on 04/22/2004 11:45:43 PM PDT by Jim Robinson. [history]

VIENNA, Va. -- John Marion has spent nearly two decades trying to persuade Muslims to embrace Jesus.

He has been a street preacher in this country and a covert evangelist in Afghanistan. About two years ago, a group of Afghan Christians began holding Sunday services at his ministry's suburban office here in northern Virginia. "I think we broke through a spiritual barrier," says Mr. Marion, a compact 40-year-old with a trim beard and an intent manner.

(Excerpt) Read more at interactive.wsj.com ...

TOPICS: Front Page News; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-47 next last

1 posted on 11/26/2001 11:14:45 PM PST by TroutStalker
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: TroutStalker
Extreme Christianity - I believe that was the kind of religion that Carpenter from Nazareth practiced...
2 posted on 11/26/2001 11:20:37 PM PST by dandelion
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Muslim people claim that Jesus was a prophet, and Muhammed claims that after Jesus returns, he will follow him. How sad. Muslims need a chance to meet Jesus and to know him as he is. Jesus loved the people of this world so much that he left heaven and came down to earth for a time. Muslims have never known anyone with such love, and they need to know him.
3 posted on 11/26/2001 11:58:08 PM PST by tessalu

Christians should become better Christians and Muslims should become better Muslims and learn to live together in peace without trying to convert each other or kill each other which was what the Taliban and the Crusaders tried to do
4 posted on 11/27/2001 12:06:34 AM PST by arielb

To: tessalu
Carpenter from Nazareth practiced...

yes...it does...glory to god the highest

5 posted on 11/27/2001 12:08:30 AM PST by MetalHeadConservative35
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

Let's convert 'em to the hilt of a sword.
6 posted on 11/27/2001 12:29:08 AM PST by Bush2000

"The True Furgan" chapters are labeled "suras," the same word used for such purposes in the Quran. The Christian volume also mimics the Muslim holy book's sentence structure. It "is a deliberate attempt to imitate the style of the Quran," says Khalid Blankinship, head of the religion department at Philadelphia's Temple University.

In the Koran is a challenge to produce another religious document in the style of the Koran. These Christians are not trying to mimic the Koran for any underhanded reasons, they are rising to the challenge to produce a "Surah Like It"

7 posted on 11/27/2001 12:36:29 AM PST by xm177e2

To: arielb
Christians should become better Christians and Muslims should become better Muslims and learn to live together in peace without trying to convert each other or kill each other which was what the Taliban and the Crusaders tried to do

So, basically, you're asking Christians and Muslims to convert to your personal religion of not converting?

8 posted on 11/27/2001 12:41:06 AM PST by Schnucki
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

Trying to convert somebody from islam to Christianity is too much of a step upwards in one fell swoop; nobody could deal with that. You need to do it in stages: convert them to something like voodoo or rastifari, then to shamanism, then to worshipping Odin and Thor, and THEN to Christianity...
9 posted on 11/27/2001 12:43:08 AM PST by medved

To: TroutStalker; JeepInMazar
Hey, is this article referring to JeepInMazar?
10 posted on 11/27/2001 12:45:30 AM PST by jennyp

To: Schnucki
So, basically, you're asking Christians and Muslims to convert to your personal religion of not converting?

Oh, come on, thats a strawman and you know it. By your definition, any opinion suddenly counts as a "personal religion".

I like bagels. I think people should enjoy bagles as well. That would be a good thing. I guess that makes me The Pope of Bagleology, eh?
11 posted on 11/27/2001 2:20:18 AM PST by WyldKard
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

To: WyldKard
Oh, come on, thats a strawman and you know it. By your definition, any opinion suddenly counts as a "personal religion".

I actually used the phrase out of respect, since I couldn't discern the religion the poster represented. The phrase "personal religion" seemed adequate.

If we avoid the distraction of that phrase and just talk about the fact that the poster was trying to influence people to stop influencing people, you'll better understand what I was driving at.

12 posted on 11/27/2001 2:27:59 AM PST by Schnucki
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

To: Schnucki

Typical Bahai'blather

13 posted on 11/27/2001 3:57:23 AM PST by Revelation 911
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

To: WyldKard
"Pope of Bagleology"

LOL.....Good One! (That's a Good Thing!) LOL

14 posted on 11/27/2001 6:00:37 AM PST by horsewhispersc
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

Thank you for posting this article, TroutStalker.
15 posted on 11/27/2001 7:01:28 AM PST by Korth

To: dandelion
Extreme Christianity - I believe that was the kind of religion that Carpenter from Nazareth practiced...

Jesus called his followers to put Him first:

"Do not think that I came to bring peace on the earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword.
 "For I came to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law;
 and a man's enemies will be the members of his household.
 "He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me; and he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me.
 "And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me.
 "He who has found his life shall lose it, and he who has lost his life for My sake shall find it.
Matthew 10:34-39

This is what it means to be a follower of Christ. People need to count the cost before they decide to follow Him.

16 posted on 11/27/2001 2:41:36 PM PST by JeepInMazar
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: arielb
I think all Christians should read the Quran and study the life, teachings and character of Mohammed.

And Muslims should read the New Testament and study the life, teaching and character of Jesus.

We have a great opportunity here in the United States to do just that, but most Muslims do not have the opportunity to read the New Testament in their own language even if they wanted to.

17 posted on 11/27/2001 2:45:09 PM PST by JeepInMazar
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

To: Bush2000
Let's convert 'em to the hilt of a sword.

I guess that will make some converts to something, but they will not become followers of Christ that way. Jesus allowed people the freedom to walk away from Him. Contrast that to the lack of freedom Muslims have to leave Islam.

18 posted on 11/27/2001 2:47:53 PM PST by JeepInMazar
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

To: medved
The next time I have a discussion about what we call "pre-evangelism" with my colleagues I'll bring this up.
19 posted on 11/27/2001 2:53:49 PM PST by JeepInMazar
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

The Afghan government had never been particularly hospitable to Christian interests. But Mr. Marion says he was confident God would protect him, his wife, Michelle, and their two small children.

Go to Afghanistan to convert the Muslims - that's wonderful and I'll be praying for you. Convince your wife to go - even better. But if you have children, you have a duty to protect and take care of them. Taking them to Afghanistan and doing things that can get you killed is not right.

Yes, we need missionaries and they're wonderful people - but some of them seem to ignore their other obligations.

20 posted on 11/27/2001 2:53:53 PM PST by JenB

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-47 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson