Skip to comments.

The Bravest of them All (Mike Moran)
Star, The #1 Celebrity News Magazine | 12-4-01 issue | Chris Doherty

Posted on 11/27/2001 8:59:04 PM PST by doug from upland

Profiles in heroism and courage...

* Hero fireman lost brother in WTC
* Told bin Laden to kiss my ...
* Saved lives on the ground in Flight 587 tragedy

Michael Moran, the courageous NYC firefighter famous for telling terrorist madman Osama bin Laden to kiss his butt, became a hero again when doomed Flight 587 crashed in his neighborhood.

Moran had already been shattered by the loss of his brother John in the World Trade Center attack on Sept. 11, along with dozens of other firefighter friends from Ladder Co. 3 on Manhattan's Lower East Side.

But on Nov. 12, when the American Airlines Airbus carrying 260 people crashed just blocks from his Rockaway Park, Queens, home, he didn't run away - he ran to help.

"I just thought: 'I can't let my hometown suffer anymore,'" Moran tells Star in an exclusive interview.

"I knew a lot of close friends, neighbors and relatives would be involved. My mother Peggy and my sisters Ellen and Mona live there. So I got over there as quickly as I could to help out in any way I could."

Even though Moran, 38, was off-duty, he hitched a ride from a police car that was speeding to the disaster area, and made it to the crash site in record time.

Once there, he helped extinguish blazing homes by manning hoses and picked through the wreckage, looking for survivors.

"It was devastating, Moran recalls. "Every time we pulled back an airplane seat, there was another body sitting in it. There was even one man clutching the body of a small child.

"The plane crash was like reliving that horrible 9-11 nightmare all over again. But you never know what you're capable of as a human being until you are staring it in the face. You just get on with it and do your duty."

Tragically, no one in the plane escaped the raging inferno, but his actions definitely saved lives on the ground.

America first learned of Moran's bravery because of the twin towers horror.

On Oct. 20, he took the stage at the Concert for New York, during which rockers including Paul McCartney, Billy Joel, and The Who raised millions for cops and firefighters killed on 9-11.

In front of millions watching around the world, an angry Moran boldly declared, "Osama bin Laden, you can kiss my royal Irish a**!"

He tells Star: "Osama bin Laden killed my brother and my friends on Sept. 11. Put me and bin Laden alone in a room together and I assure you in two minutes there'd only be one man standing."

Mike's beloved brother John was a fire chief who worked with the FDNY special operations division and was one of the first on the scene at the WTC attack.

"I knew John was down there at Ground Zero and as the day wore on and we hadn't heard any word, it began to look really bad.

"Eventually we realized that he was gone forever."

Although John's body has never been recovered, a moving memorial service was held for him Sept. 28.

He leaves behind a widow, Kim, who is an American Airlines flight attendant, and his two sons: Ryan, 7 and Dylan, 4.

Now, despite the horrors Mike has endured recently, he is looking to the future and marrying his sales rep girlfriend, Donna Strilich, 37.

He is also determined to stay on the force and keep working to help the people and the city he loves.

"No matter what life throws at me, I still want to do this job," the proud American declares.

"My brother and I used to say that being firefighters was like being soldiers in a never-ending war. I owe it to my brother and my buddies to carry on.

"The last few weeks have been devastating, but make no mistake: We will prevail!"

TOPICS: News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:

1 posted on 11/27/2001 8:59:04 PM PST by doug from upland
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: doug from upland; All
**ORDER YOUR COPY NOW** Osama, step right up and kiss my royal Irish ass Ballad
The Ballad of Mike Moran NYFD (brother of fallen 9/11/01 Hero NYFD FReeper BCM),
by Vetnet and doug from upland
All net proceeds of U.S. CD sales are going to go to a fund established
to help NY firefighters and rescue workers.

Mike Moran is new FReeper royal IA
royal IA FReeper Profile Page

BCM's widow is new FReeper Mrs BCM
Mrs BCM FReeper Profile Page

2 posted on 11/27/2001 9:03:19 PM PST by 68-69TonkinGulfYachtClub
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: doug from upland
An update re Pittsburgh WRRK (#1 in Pburgh) and Jim Quinn's show -
"The War Room" (Reach them at 96.9 FM from 530am til 900 am, and at www.warroom.com, both live streaming AND archived):

Due to slow US mail Jim was delayed in playing The Ballad til this Monday morning, 11-26. Good news, however, he played the song in its entirety THREE times during the show. An unidentified female caller asked him to play it again, so he closed the show with it. He also gave out the firemansong.com web address.

I'm listening to 11-27 archived show now and will let you know if he plays it again. We can thank him for playing it/request he play it again by email: quinn@warroom.com.

3 posted on 11/27/2001 9:36:05 PM PST by jrewingjr
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: jrewingjr
Great. Thank you very much for your efforts.
4 posted on 11/28/2001 5:54:51 AM PST by doug from upland
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

To: Vetnet
Ping. See No. 3.
5 posted on 11/28/2001 5:55:22 AM PST by doug from upland
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson