Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Forbidden Grief After Abortion
Prolife Infonet ^ | 12/4/01 | Father Frank Pavone

Posted on 12/04/2001 7:09:08 AM PST by Caleb1411

In her book to be released in 2002, my friend Dr. Theresa Burke writes,

"There is no social norm for dealing with an abortion. There are no Hallmark cards for friends who have had an abortion, declaring either sympathy or congratulations. We don't send flowers. We don't have any ceremonies, either joyous or mournful. We have no social customs or rules of etiquette governing acknowledgment of an abortion. Instead, we all try to ignore it."

The book, "Forbidden Grief," with which Dr. David Reardon also collaborated, demonstrates that grief after abortion is neither expected nor permitted in our society. Drawing from their vast experience of post-abortion counseling, the authors illustrate some of the ways that this "disenfranchised grief" eats away at the personality, and results in harmful and bizarre behavior.

As a graduate student, Theresa Burke led a weekly support group for women with eating disorders. The meeting exploded out of control one night when, unexpectedly, the topic of abortion arose. Six of the eight participants had had abortions. This led Theresa to begin exploring the connections. One woman explained, "I am never hungry when I bingeI eat because I am full. Full of anger, hurt, sadness, and loneliness. I throw up because that is the way I empty myself of those feelings."

Every thought and emotion we have is connected to other thoughts, emotions, and memories. Connections to the negative memories associated with abortion are often overlooked, even by professional therapists.

Forbidden Grief reveals many of the connections. For example, those who undergo a trauma often re-enact that trauma, in a subconscious effort to articulate, understand, and master it. One client became obsessed with pregnancy after her abortion. She explains, "I used to go to the maternity section in department storesI usually had a towel stuffed in my pantyhose to make it look like I was pregnantbut as soon as I'd get in my car I would cry my head offI'd rip the towel out of my belly to dry my tears. I'd tell myself, you're not pregnant, this is just a stupid towel."

Another rode horseback regularly without padded pants, until she bled profusely, hence re-enacting the abortion.

One way or another, we ritualize our grief.

We also sometimes try to trivialize it when we know it's too much to bear. Dr. Burke describes a dorm party in which the students, many post-abortive, played "Baby Soccer." The broken heads of dolls were kicked around the room gleefully, their eyes gouged out with darts, their cheeks burned with cigarette butts.

Other post-abortive individuals increase their risk-taking behavior, hoping they will get caught or hurt. After all, they know they are guilty, and may seek an experience to confirm that.

When society trivializes abortion, people suffering from it will, cry out by their actions, "I'm not OK! I'm in tremendous pain! Can anyone help me?" We need to tell them we know that pain, and that it makes sense to grieve. Only then can healing begin.

TOPICS: Culture/Society; Editorial
KEYWORDS: abortionlist; catholiclist; christianlist; michaeldobbs
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-53 next last

1 posted on 12/04/2001 7:09:08 AM PST by Caleb1411
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: BibChr; logos; MHGinTN; *Abortion_list; *Catholic_list; *Christian_list; *Pro_life
BUMP
2 posted on 12/04/2001 7:12:33 AM PST by Caleb1411
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Caleb1411
Unfortunately, this "grief" doesn't deter the "victims" from seeking future abortions. There's an appalling repeat rate among women seeking abortions.
3 posted on 12/04/2001 7:13:18 AM PST by RooRoobird14

To: JMJ333
Grief?

How about guilt, or a foreboding sense of terror?

4 posted on 12/04/2001 7:14:36 AM PST by SlickWillard

As a man, I have no idea what the experience is like, but it must be truly horrible.
5 posted on 12/04/2001 7:15:23 AM PST by Aquinasfan

We also sometimes try to trivialize it when we know it's too much to bear. Dr. Burke describes a dorm party in which the students, many post-abortive, played "Baby Soccer." The broken heads of dolls were kicked around the room gleefully, their eyes gouged out with darts, their cheeks burned with cigarette butts.

Trivialize? It sounds more like "recreate." And these college women are the future of America?
These creatures are sick. I only hope that they turn to God, and that He can heal and forgive them.

6 posted on 12/04/2001 7:17:24 AM PST by Malacoda

To: RooRoobird14
There's an appalling repeat rate among women seeking abortions.

Probably so. For some reason I'm thinking of it as a voyage of the damned. The ghastly anecdote about "baby soccer" is the same basic thing -- but it's not as bad as these multiple abortions.

7 posted on 12/04/2001 7:21:03 AM PST by r9etb
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

The funny thing is the Catholic Church has an organiztion designed to help women post-abortion. The NARAL crowd doesn't care about the psychological damage to the woman, but the Church does.
8 posted on 12/04/2001 7:22:00 AM PST by Aggie Mama

To: RooRoobird14
Unfortunately, this "grief" doesn't deter the "victims" from seeking future abortions. There's an appalling repeat rate among women seeking abortions.

That's undeniably true, just as there's an appalling repeat rate of any soul-destroying behavior in which people are trapped. Some of the trapped don't want a way out; others, assailed by feelings by shame and guilt, despair of ever finding a way out.

It's the latter group for whom books like Forbidden Grief may be a lifesaver.

9 posted on 12/04/2001 7:24:30 AM PST by Caleb1411
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

To: All
The purposeful cold-blooded killing of the most defenceless of the defenceless, the most frail of the frail, brings an unbearable penalty...

The suffering of these women is heartbreaking, but what they must live with is doubtless dreadful beyond belief...and to know that they did it purposefully, that it wasn't an "accident" must make their horror even worse.

And there are 1.3 million of these horrors a year in this country.

10 posted on 12/04/2001 7:27:50 AM PST by Judith Anne
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

To the plea, "I'm not OK! I'm in tremendous pain! Can anyone help me?" I can offer the comforting words:
"Yes I can help you." In Christ, there is forgiveness for sins (even murder).
START HERE: First confess that what you did was murder your own child.
FROM THERE you will find forgiveness if you ask.

The crime should notwithstanding be punishable with death, but you will have escaped Hell.
11 posted on 12/04/2001 7:28:53 AM PST by byTheirCreator

To: Aquinasfan; Caleb1411
Do you know what almost sobers me even more? The thought of those women who have had abortions, who are now being faced with facts they hadn't faced previously. If they acknowledge that the unborn are human children, and that there is no excuse under the sun for killing a child for being inconvenient or imperfect... what must that be like? The agony of conscience and soul must be indescribable.

I am sure that this is what is behind the irrational conversations we have, for instance, here, with females who dig in their heels and simply announce categorically (and with no supporting evidence or rationality whatever) that "it isn't a child until it draws its first breath"; or those who advocate "choice," but won't respond to any questions or challenges about their position. I think it's because they haven't the moral integrity to face facts and acknowledge what they did — and as well perhaps because they know nothing of the atonement of Christ, by which and by whom alone such sins can be dealt with before God.

Dan
How Can I Know God?

12 posted on 12/04/2001 7:35:39 AM PST by BibChr
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: SlickWillard
I think the sense of loss would be overwhelming to those who have a functioning conscience. There is nothing like having the truth slap you in the face with the fact that you have indeed murdered your own child, and no matter how sorry they are, they can't bring that child back. Those who didn't really understand the true depth of what they got themselves into need our consolation, guidance, and forgiveness.

Those like Madonna, with her 13 abortions, are the ones who anger me the most. She has no shame.

13 posted on 12/04/2001 7:35:51 AM PST by JMJ333
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

To: Aggie Mama
Here is one of many Project Rachel websites. It operates on a shoestring, unlike Murder Inc. AKA NARAL et al.

AB

14 posted on 12/04/2001 7:37:11 AM PST by ArrogantBustard
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

There ARE women who are coming forward and finding healing! Look at this web site. It is a community designed to faciliate the process.

SafeHaven

Both women AND men are able to come to terms with what they have done. Cool stuff...

Whoozit

15 posted on 12/04/2001 7:38:59 AM PST by whoozit

Gosh, I feel so bad for those poor murderers.
16 posted on 12/04/2001 7:44:24 AM PST by Sloth

The Catholic Church has an organization called PROJECT RACHEL that counsels women of all faiths who are suffering the consequences of their abortions. The Church takes much abuse from the likes of NOW and NARAL, but do either of these two groups try to help the women who suffer the long term psychological torment of their 'choice'? The answer of course, is a resounding no.
17 posted on 12/04/2001 7:46:39 AM PST by PennsylvaniaMom

To: ArrogantBustard
Thanks for posting the link on Project Rachel. I should really learn to read the entire thread before I jump in (but great minds do think alike).
18 posted on 12/04/2001 7:49:36 AM PST by PennsylvaniaMom
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

The baby killers can't acknowledge that abortions are traumatic. THat would acknowledge that a human life was ended and that the fetus was not just a lump of unwanted cells. One grieves the loss of life, not the loss of cells, after all there are no stories of people suffering trauma due to their tonsils being removed.

The abortionist have to live with their lies or thier vicious game is exposed.

19 posted on 12/04/2001 7:50:59 AM PST by Leto

The guilt and remorse that women experience after an abortion is a stark reminder of the morbidity of their choice. The social and legal aspect of it can never make it right no matter how socially acceptable it is, no matter whether it is legal or not. Moral decisions are not legislated, they are made by individuals and when individuals make immoral decisions they must pay the consequences, physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
20 posted on 12/04/2001 8:02:16 AM PST by slimer

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-53 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson