Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Not Your Average FReep
Me | 12/9/01 | TheRightWingConspiracy

Posted on 12/09/2001 9:53:48 AM PST by TheRightWingConspiracy

It wasn’t your average FReep this morning. Sure, it was Saturday, sure all the usual suspects were there across the street.

Maybe it was the chill in the air, maybe it was just this particular morning, but there was a charge, a twinge of excitement out there.

For those not yet familiar, we’ve made a point of it to be out there every Saturday. To call it a patriotic demonstration would do it little justice…no, this is far more. We show up each Saturday morning, across from the Walnut Street post office and catch the briefest glimpse at the indomitable spirit of America. Not the protesters, and their anti-American spite, nor even those faithful few standing alongside us each week, but what speeds by in every car and rings with every honk.

This morning was different, though. Earlier this week Ashley Varner, President of the College Republicans and FreeRepublic’s own DogRobber butted heads with Mark Hiem, not an easy task. Just from listening to the program, the sense was that with every word out of Ashley and DogRobber’s mouth, the hatred of the Peace Protesters, and as a result their resolve, gelled. They were probably were going to be out in force this week.

Ashley did her best to organize the base, but sickness knocked out BlueSageWoman, work kept DogRobber, and finals week here at the University claimed many of the fifteen or so faithful.

With some dismay, four of us took to the street corner with signs. The protesters across the street out numbered us 5 to 1. It was cold too, not the most cheerful weather to support much of anything. And our signs seemed insignificant compared to their crowd. The Peace Demonstrators across the street grinned in our direction, already claiming victory because of their numbers.

Something came over us, though. We stripped down to our t-shirts, we took off our gloves and hats, and yes, we were cold, but, we decided, when we’re outnumbered what better time to be on your toes?

And so the four of us, freezing cold, outnumbered 5 to 1, began our protest.

Honks are always nice. We usually get all of the honks on those Saturday mornings, but they’re inconsistent at best. Most times there’s a friendly wave or a thumbs up, a smile or a quiet cheer. There’s always a feeling of overwhelming support, to be sure, but never enough to dismay any liberals.

The honks began early this morning, though. Loud, thunderous honks, big grins, thumbs up from passing police officers…one man came up and thanked us individually, another bought us cookies to keep us warm.

The honks kept coming, a chorus of joyful appreciation…all for our one sign that read: “Honk for our troops.”

More smiles and grins, more honks. A woman came by to thank us for supporting her daughter. We thanked her instead. It wasn’t us that needed praise. She felt inspired and picked up a sign that read: “Troops are heroes.”

It poured in…from a block away, cars turning at the corner would honk. Somehow they could read the sign. Or they could just tell.

A veteran walking by thanked us, and two more friends came to hold signs. Still the honks, smiles, waves and thumbs up. The sun broke overhead, and somewhere, in our hodgepodge group of six college students and a mom, someone put us back in perspective. It was Bush’s line: “We will not tire, we will not falter and we will not fail.” It all seemed so clear.

This…this might just be America, we decided.

Not the peace demonstrators, not the Hate America First groups, not the whiners or complainers, but these folks. The ones who put two and two together, that their freedom wasn’t free and never will be…that their lives and happiness and safety were dependent on people they would never meet. And so they honked and smiled and cheered and gave thumbs up.

But it wasn’t our praise…we didn’t deserve it.

Men and women of the United States military, this morning was for you.

May I never forget your sacrifice.

TOPICS: Activism/Chapters; Editorial
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-31 next last
After weeks of FReeping the protesters, it finally hit me what it was all about. Any thoughts to add?
1 posted on 12/09/2001 9:53:48 AM PST by TheRightWingConspiracy
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: TheRightWingConspiracy; bluesagewoman; rface; zip; Reborn; Clintons Are White Trash
ping
2 posted on 12/09/2001 9:56:27 AM PST by TheRightWingConspiracy
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: TheRightWingConspiracy
Thank you!!! From the bottom of my heart -- for being there.
3 posted on 12/09/2001 9:59:59 AM PST by thinktwice

Attaboy Luther!!!
4 posted on 12/09/2001 10:00:02 AM PST by AppyPappy

Good job, Thanks!

Where exactly was this?

5 posted on 12/09/2001 10:01:51 AM PST by Bill Rice

To: Bill Rice
I'm sorry, it made much more sense when I posted it in the locale section. This was on the streets of Columbia, MO. Home of the University of Missouri Tigers, and liberal armpit of Missouri.
6 posted on 12/09/2001 10:03:27 AM PST by TheRightWingConspiracy
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: Bill Rice
Where exactly was this?

Columbia Missouri. Home of the very liberal Univ. of Missouri.

Way to go Missouri freepers. I'm planning on making the drive over from KC after the first of the year if you're still doing this. Can't before then.

7 posted on 12/09/2001 10:05:40 AM PST by barker
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

Well done - I appreciate your tenacity and I'm sure if our troops knew what you were doing they would be very proud at one more indication that they are not fighting to preserve our freedom in vain
8 posted on 12/09/2001 10:06:01 AM PST by Allegra

There is an enormous amount of satisfaction in successfully opposing the left, the hippies and the politicially correct. Keep up the good work!
9 posted on 12/09/2001 10:09:36 AM PST by CWRWinger
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

Comment #10 Removed by Moderator

To: MerryChristmas from DU
MerryChristmas from DU ... member since December 9th, 2001

Tales from the Bush regime

How 'bout that? My first post and the DU's already after me! That would have been funny, too, MerryChristmas, but for the lack of tact, humor or wit. Keep trying!
11 posted on 12/09/2001 10:16:28 AM PST by TheRightWingConspiracy
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

To: MerryChristmas from DU
Clean up needed on aisle 10
12 posted on 12/09/2001 10:16:32 AM PST by barker
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

Any bets as to how long this wonderful person will last on FR? You did good on your first post for someone to come after you like that.
13 posted on 12/09/2001 10:20:27 AM PST by barker
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

To: barker
My clock says 1:22 and the computer tells me there's no current Freeper by that name. Who'da thunk it?
14 posted on 12/09/2001 10:23:07 AM PST by TheRightWingConspiracy
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

Sounds like your current tactics are succeeding.....Thank You for all you're doing to improve our Country
15 posted on 12/09/2001 10:44:22 AM PST by cinciphil

To: TheRightWingConspiracy; Gracey; Humidston; The Bat Lady
Way to go! Keep up the fight to support our troops.
16 posted on 12/09/2001 11:22:05 AM PST by anymouse

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE! Excellent Post, RightWingConspiracy!
17 posted on 12/09/2001 12:59:19 PM PST by Reborn

Thank you, Right Wing. This country would fail without people like you.
18 posted on 12/09/2001 1:30:06 PM PST by kitkat

Thank you big time.

This IS what it's all about.

19 posted on 12/09/2001 1:50:02 PM PST by zip

OMGosh, we've gone National...HooHoo!! Thanks for all you've done RightWing. Am already feeling better. How about pictures next week. Let's Roll.
20 posted on 12/09/2001 1:51:46 PM PST by bluesagewoman

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-31 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson