Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Michael Kinsley Discloses He Has Parkinson's Disease
Drudge Report ^ | December 9,2001 | Matt Drudge

Posted on 12/09/2001 10:31:29 AM PST by John W

Eight years ago journalist Michael Kinsley was diagnosed with Parkinson's at the age of 42, he writes in a TIME essay disclosing he has the disease.

"There are three ways to deal with news like this: acceptance, confrontation or denial." Denial was Kinsley's choice.

He defines denial as "letting the disease affect your life as little as possible. In fact...pretending as best you can that you don't have it."

But "deceiving those around you is more troublesome," Kinsley writes, "especially if you are a journalist, whose whole professional value system is rapped up in the idea of truth: demanding it of others, telling it yourself." Kinsley writes, "I've come to the conclusion that most of the people I interact with every day actually do know my secret and are pretending not to."

Now Parkinson's "is a hot disease, thanks to celebrity sufferers like the Pope, Billy Graham, Janet Reno, Muhammad Ali and Michael J. Fox. Even, they say, Yasser Arafat."

TOPICS: News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-47 next last

1 posted on 12/09/2001 10:31:29 AM PST by John W
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: John W
Gee has he been hanging around Janet El Reno to long.

In mikes case how can you tell?

2 posted on 12/09/2001 10:33:29 AM PST by dts32041
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Kinsley is in denial about a lot of things.
3 posted on 12/09/2001 10:34:00 AM PST by tbeatty

But "deceiving those around you is more troublesome," Kinsley writes

Gee, imagine that.....a Liberal practicing deceit......

4 posted on 12/09/2001 10:34:47 AM PST by Texas Eagle

Why are so many high profile types getting this disease?
5 posted on 12/09/2001 10:37:44 AM PST by Dialup Llama

Well, I hate to see anyone get such a disease especially at a relatively young age. Best wishes to Michael.
6 posted on 12/09/2001 10:38:41 AM PST by Always Right

To: Texas Eagle
This seething rat and his boiling hate was better to watch on crossfire...in the open---

now he just chews on the doors and wires---no wonder his brain is fried!

7 posted on 12/09/2001 10:39:41 AM PST by f.Christian
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

I thought he had aids....
8 posted on 12/09/2001 10:48:49 AM PST by KQQL

8 years? Well, it seems he has been dealing with it pretty well. Don't like his politics but wish him well.
9 posted on 12/09/2001 10:51:45 AM PST by Burkeman1

I wish him, earnestly, health in this holiday season and many others to come.

I hope, as earnestly, that he finally gets wisdom in his errant and socially destructive political views.

10 posted on 12/09/2001 10:52:17 AM PST by Lazamataz

To: f.Christian
ROTFLMFAO.......!
11 posted on 12/09/2001 10:54:28 AM PST by Capt_Hank
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

To: Capt_Hank
yeah...I'd like to give him the Merry Christmas I just gave his father in the glue trap--

finished him off with ajax powder!

12 posted on 12/09/2001 10:58:10 AM PST by f.Christian
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

peta can find the evidence right now in my bathroom waste can---

I was dying to tell the whole world about him(I really hated to do it)!

13 posted on 12/09/2001 11:00:28 AM PST by f.Christian
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

To: f.Christian
Thanks... now I have clean up the popcorn that went flying. I'm that way about Geraldo "Jerry Rivers" Rivera.
14 posted on 12/09/2001 11:04:53 AM PST by Capt_Hank
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

my dream team in the same glue trap--

Eleanor Clift--MK--and OJ and Greta...hahhahahhahahahah!!!

15 posted on 12/09/2001 11:08:27 AM PST by f.Christian
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

"especially if you are a journalist, whose whole professional value system is rapped up in the idea of truth"

How does perjury and obstruction of justice fall under private matters, immune from the truth, but one's health does not?

Anyway, I wish him the best in managing his illness.

16 posted on 12/09/2001 11:11:55 AM PST by tjg

Kinsley, the real Smirking Chimp, was one of the first lefty commentators I learned to love to loathe. I found the guy an obnoxious twit before I saw this, and I"m sure I'll continue to find him an obnoxious twit after this. That said, I hope the man has a long and productive career despite his Parkinson's, or even better, that somebody discovers a cure. Things just wouldn't be the same without Mikey.
17 posted on 12/09/2001 11:20:11 AM PST by RichInOC

"...But "deceiving those around you is more troublesome," Kinsley writes, "especially if you are a journalist, whose whole professional value system is rapped (sic) up in the idea of truth: demanding it of others, telling it yourself." Kinsley writes..."

ROTFL!

'Truth'...

'Value System'...

'Journalist'...

This guy's central nervous system may be turning to sludge, but he's still a laugh riot!

18 posted on 12/09/2001 11:22:12 AM PST by DWSUWF

Good things happen to good people
19 posted on 12/09/2001 11:24:32 AM PST by watcher1

To: DWSUWF
But it is not simply Bill Clinton who has committed treason against this country. The leadership of the Democratic Party and the Democratic National Committee (DNC) are his willing accomplices.

For 64 years, since 1930 with two short and irrelevant interruptions, the Democrats ruled Congress as their private kingdom. Their corruption was only matched by their arrogance. Losing their control of Congress in 1994 drove them insane - so criminally insane they were willing to do anything to get their power back: unequaled demagoguery with the Mediscare campaign; massive vote-buying and cheating to win numerous elections (such as Hernandez-Dornan in California and Landrieu/Jenkins in Louisiana); and raising money with wholesale disregard for campaign finance laws. But that's not all. What they did to insure Slick's reelections and to try and regain control of Congress was to sell classified military secrets to the Chinese government in exchange for donations to the Democratic National Committee. That, folks, is treason.

Clinton's bag man to the Chinese was, of course, John Huang, long time employee of Mochtar Riady (both are from China. He raised $5 million for the DNC, most of which the DNC has pledged to return as it came from "illegal foreign sources." What the DNC is desperate to hide, however, is that one of those sources was Chinese military intelligence.

Huang's conduit was Wei Guioqiang, the Washington bureau chief of Xinhua, the Chinese news agency. Wei was also the Chinese military intelligence officer in Washington channeling money into DNC coffers. In late march, Wei was summoned to Beijing on the pretext of receiving an award. Instead, he got a bullet in the back of his head from an officer of China's Ministry of State Security. Someone (John Huang?) had tipped Beijing off that Wei was about to request asylum in the U.S., and go public with what he had done to reelect Bill Clinton. Dan Burton's investigators on the House Government Reform and Oversight Committee are examining the connections between Huang and Wei. Their findings may show that not only is the President guilty of treason but the Democratic Party is as well.

So here's the in-your-face bottom line now: If Clinton continues to get away with everything, if he survives his presidency intact and unimpeached, he will become Secretary General of the United Nations, he will convert the U.N. into something approaching a world government, and he will shmooze his way into becoming the U.N.'s permanent leader - just like his idol, FDR, became permanent President until he died.

Now... are we going to let this happen? The answer is inside ourselves. Are we going to bequeath to our children an outlaw government or a constitutional government? Are we going to resign ourselves to the fascist corruption of Bill Clinton and the Washington Oligarchy or are we going to start kicking in doors on Capitol Hill and demand impeachment proceedings? Are we going to let conservatives who reach vast audiences like Limbaugh and Liddy continue to slip deeper into mush, or are we going to relentlessly push them to talk about democratic fascism and an outlaw government?

The goal is clear and direction is clear. The obstacles in the way will remain there only if we do not remove them. With our insistence and perseverance, we can enable the American people to unchain themselves, bolt out of the boiling water, reclaim their liberty, and transfigure their country into a land the Founding Fathers would recognize and be proud of. This can be our legacy to America, if we have the will to achieve it.

20 posted on 12/09/2001 11:27:57 AM PST by f.Christian
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 18 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-47 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson