Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Terrorism and the Expansion of Federal Power
Antiwar.com ^ | December 11, 2001 | Rep. Ron Paul (R-TX)

Posted on 12/11/2001 10:09:18 AM PST by Pay now bill Clinton

Terrorism and the Expansion of Federal Power
by
Rep. Ron Paul (R-TX)
December 11, 2001

The events of September 11th understandably made Americans far more concerned about their safety here at home. All of us want action taken to diminish the threat of future terrorist attacks, and President Bush is doing a very good job of pursuing bin Laden and his cohorts overseas. The proper focus should be on identifying those responsible and using limited military force to bring them to justice. We should arrest or kill the perpetrators abroad, use our armed forces more wisely to defend our borders, and reform immigration laws to keep terrorists out.

Unfortunately, the focus in Congress seems to be on a domestic agenda that will adversely affect millions of ordinary Americans without making us any safer. An example can be found in a Customs Service bill slated for a vote in the House this week. This bill gives customs and postal agents new authority to open and inspect outgoing U.S. mail without probable cause or a warrant. I don't think many Americans are comfortable with having federal agents open and search the mail they send! Of course it's easier to pass such a measure when the public is in a fearful mood and demanding action. Ten or twenty years from now, when the recent attacks are a distant memory, federal agents will still be opening mail – mail sent by American citizens, not terrorists.

Americans face an internal threat every bit as dangerous as foreign terrorists: the loss of domestic freedoms. Every 20th-century crisis – two great wars and a decade-long economic depression – led to rapid expansions of the federal government. The cycle is always the same, with temporary crises used to justify permanent new laws, agencies, and programs.

The cycle is repeating itself. Congress has been scrambling to pass new legislation (and spend billions of your tax dollars) since September. Most of the new laws passed and dollars spent have nothing to do with defending our borders and cities against terrorist attacks. I have already written and spoken at length concerning the dangers to our civil liberties posed by the rush to pass new laws. I do not believe that our Constitution permits federal agents to monitor phones, mail, or computers without a warrant. I do not believe that government should eavesdrop on confidential conversations between attorneys and clients. I certainly do not believe "terrorism" should be defined so broadly that American citizens expressing dissent against their own government could be investigated and prosecuted as terrorists.

Remember, President Bush will not be in office forever. History demonstrates that the powers we give the federal government today will remain in place indefinitely. How comfortable are you that future Presidents won't abuse those powers? Politically-motivated IRS audits and FBI investigations have been used by past administrations to destroy political enemies. It's certainly possible that future executives could use their new surveillance powers in similarly unethical ways. The bottom line is that every American should be very concerned about the unintended consequences of policies promoted to fight an unending, amorphous battle against terrorism.

Ron Paul, M.D., represents the 14th Congressional District of Texas in the United States House of Representatives.

TOPICS: Editorial; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS: ronpaullist
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-80 ... 101-104 next last

1 posted on 12/11/2001 10:09:18 AM PST by Pay now bill Clinton
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: Pay now bill Clinton
Ron Paul bump
2 posted on 12/11/2001 10:14:36 AM PST by Protagoras
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

3 posted on 12/11/2001 10:16:38 AM PST by Joe Brower

To: Pay now bill Clinton; *Ron Paul List
bump
4 posted on 12/11/2001 10:22:56 AM PST by Libertarianize the GOP

Damn shame we only got one of him in Congress.
5 posted on 12/11/2001 10:32:34 AM PST by steve50

To: steve50
Damn shame we only got one of him in Congress.

Actually I heard that 3 reps and 1 sen voted against the Patriot Bill. That brings us up to all of 4! IMO, Ron Paul is the best, though.

6 posted on 12/11/2001 10:37:21 AM PST by serinde
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: JD86
Comments, sweetheart?
7 posted on 12/11/2001 10:49:49 AM PST by exodus

To: steve50
If James Trafficant was who he sounds like,
he would be another Ron Paul.
Too bad he isn't.
8 posted on 12/11/2001 10:52:04 AM PST by exodus
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: Texasforever
The subject isn't President Hamilton this time,
but you might be interested anyway.
What do you think of Ron Paul's article?
9 posted on 12/11/2001 10:58:02 AM PST by exodus

To: exodus; Inspector Harry Callahan; Demidog
exodus, agree about Traficant.

Ping for the Inspector and Demidog.

10 posted on 12/11/2001 10:58:49 AM PST by carenot
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

To: Luis Gonzalez
Something you'll like, my friend.
11 posted on 12/11/2001 11:02:24 AM PST by exodus

To: The Documentary Lady
My hero speaks, again.
He's one-of-a-kind in government, unfortunately.
12 posted on 12/11/2001 11:09:06 AM PST by exodus

To: ninenot
ninenot,
my criticism of our government
is not just because of no Declaration of War,
but that without that Declaration of War,
or at least a Presidential "State of Emergency" decree,
all of the laws and regulations to "fight terrorism"
become a permanent part of our law,
instead of being a temporary measure
to handle the current emergency.
13 posted on 12/11/2001 11:26:37 AM PST by exodus

Americans face an internal threat every bit as dangerous as foreign terrorists: the loss of domestic freedoms. Every 20th-century crisis – two great wars and a decade-long economic depression – led to rapid expansions of the federal government. The cycle is always the same, with temporary crises used to justify permanent new laws, agencies, and programs.

RON PAUL FOR PRESIDENT 2004

14 posted on 12/11/2001 11:39:51 AM PST by AUgrad

To: exodus
Declaration of National Emergency by Reason Of Certain Terrorist Attacks
By the President of the United States of America
A Proclamation

A national emergency exists by reason of the terrorist attacks at the World Trade Center, New York, New York, and the Pentagon, and the continuing and immediate threat of further attacks on the United States.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, GEORGE W. BUSH, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States, I hereby declare that the national emergency has existed since September 11, 2001, and, pursuant to the National Emergencies Act (50 U.S.C. 1601 et seq.), I intend to utilize the following statutes:  sections 123, 123a, 527, 2201(c), 12006, and 12302 of title 10, United States Code, and sections 331, 359, and 367 of title 14, United States Code.

This proclamation immediately shall be published in the Federal Register or disseminated through the Emergency Federal Register, and transmitted to the Congress.

This proclamation is not intended to create any right or benefit, substantive or procedural, enforceable at law by a party against the United States, its agencies, its officers, or any person.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this fourteenth day of September, in the year of our Lord two thousand one, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and twenty-sixth.

GEORGE W. BUSH

15 posted on 12/11/2001 11:53:21 AM PST by Luis Gonzalez
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

That helps, Luis Gonzalez.

Do you have a link for me?

16 posted on 12/11/2001 12:11:48 PM PST by exodus
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

By my understanding of the State of Emergency decree,
the President does have all civil and military power,
for the duration of the emergency.

He doesn't have to ask Congress for anything.
We are now in a dictatorship, not a republic.
At least it was done legally.

Another question, Luis Gonzalez.

Shouldn't the new laws refer
to the Presidential State of Emergency,
and state their temporary nature?

I share Ron Paul's fears
of an encroaching government
taking our freedom.

17 posted on 12/11/2001 12:24:09 PM PST by exodus
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

FindLaw.com

Look to the right, click on Docs.

18 posted on 12/11/2001 12:25:19 PM PST by Luis Gonzalez
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

81050: War Powers Resolution: Presidential Compliance
19 posted on 12/11/2001 12:32:14 PM PST by Luis Gonzalez
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 17 | View Replies]

Thanks, Luis Gonzalez.
20 posted on 12/11/2001 12:34:12 PM PST by exodus
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 19 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-80 ... 101-104 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson