Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Officer 'gave Nato secrets to the Serbs'
The Daily Telegraph ^ | 12/12/2001 | Harry de Quetteville

Posted on 12/13/2001 2:56:16 PM PST by a_Turk

A FORMER French army officer went on trial for treason in Paris yesterday, three years after he was caught passing military secrets to a Serb spy during Nato's campaign in Kosovo.

Major Pierre Bunel, 49, was a senior figure in the French delegation at Nato headquarters in Brussels at the time. After his arrest in October 1998, he admitted meeting the agent, Jovan Milanovic, several times and handing over Nato documents.

At the time, Bunel claimed he acted independently to prevent a bloodbath by warning the Serbs that Nato would launch a bombing campaign if they did not withdraw. He has since said he was told to hand over documents by French military intelligence.

He appeared before a court of seven judges, the only French tribunal that can try a French soldier for crimes committed abroad.

TOPICS: Foreign Affairs; Front Page News; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS: napalminthemorning; wot
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-38 next last

1 posted on 12/13/2001 2:56:16 PM PST by a_Turk
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: a_Turk
I have never understood why we got in on the muslim side in this conflict anyway. I don’t see a huge difference between the fundamental goals of what Milosovich was trying to accomplish and what we are doing in Trashcanistan right now: Principally, to wipe out a bunch of insane musilm terrorists who are dedicated to our destruction. The Serbs just had a longer history to draw off of.
2 posted on 12/13/2001 3:55:20 PM PST by Right of Buchannan
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Right of Buchannan
Principally, to wipe out a bunch of insane musilm terrorists
The Yugo army had all the weapons, and the Bosnian Muslims had hunting rifles and slingshots. Milosevich is a whore. He's tried to murder the Bosnian Muslims to re-conquer his disintegrating Yugoslavia for the Serbs.

I am a Muslim. I'll say that your words are not of a worthy individual. I'll say you are ignorant of the truth as it applies to this subject. We, the allied countries in the war against terrorism, are fighting terrorism not Islam. We are, under the leadership of the USA, engaged in a holy war against evil. That's all there is to it.
3 posted on 12/13/2001 4:51:50 PM PST by a_Turk
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

I am a Muslim

I’m sure you are.

The fact remains that one of the principle goals of Islam is to see the world ruled under Islamic law and that if peaceful attempts do not work, violence is a viable option.

Further, the Koran states:

Sura 5:51 [do not] take Jews and Christians as friends.
Sura 5:60 [Jews are] apes and swine to be despised and rejected

Fact is, these teachings lie at odds with what this country was founded on and coming to the defense of people who are BY NO MEANS coming from a history of not having blood on their hands is bizarre! Study the history of Yugoslavia, the muslims have committed MORE than their fair share of atrocities against the Serbs.

I wasn’t trying to insinuate that most muslims are terrorists, but most terrorists are muslim.

4 posted on 12/13/2001 5:21:18 PM PST by Right of Buchannan
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

ETA (Basques), the IRA, the Shining Path, Tupac Amoru...I don't know about most terrorists being Muslim. There sure are a lot of them, but terrorists are bred out of all religions and ideologies.
5 posted on 12/13/2001 5:26:40 PM PST by wimpycat
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

Bump
6 posted on 12/13/2001 5:31:48 PM PST by Fiddlstix

"I have never understood why we got in on the muslim side in this conflict anyway. I don’t see a huge difference between the fundamental goals of what Milosovich was trying to accomplish and what we are doing in Trashcanistan right now:"

Bump. I left the American military before we got involved in Bosnia. Had I stayed, I'd probably be in trouble like this French guy is now
7 posted on 12/13/2001 5:34:19 PM PST by Michael2001
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

The fact remains that one of the principle goals of Islam is to see the world ruled under Islamic law and that if peaceful attempts do not work, violence is a viable option.
And that's what we are doing now, together in Afghanistan and soon elsewhere.
Further, the Koran states:

Sura 5:51 [do not] take Jews and Christians as friends.
Sura 5:60 [Jews are] apes and swine to be despised and rejected
Both are mis-translated. To help understand: You have two kinds of Christians today. The sort which is pro choice, vs the pro life. If the abundance of Christians around you were pro choice, then you'd advise me not to marry one.
Fact is, these teachings lie at odds with what this country was founded on and coming to the defense of people who are BY NO MEANS coming from a history of not having blood on their hands is bizarre!
First of all, this country has seen all kinds of rules, any variety of which deviating from George Washington, Paul Revere, and Ben Franklin. So you'd let people be massacred because of history? Do you deserve Anthrax attacks (by some sick demented bastard) because of a history of native American massacres? Are you nuts?
Study the history of Yugoslavia, the muslims have committed MORE than their fair share of atrocities against the Serbs.
Granted, the Serbs were cool for most of history, since passing empires kept them shorn. You'd let them rape, murder, and pillage on that basis? That's very strange!
8 posted on 12/13/2001 5:43:39 PM PST by a_Turk
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

To: Hoplite
bump
9 posted on 12/13/2001 5:44:59 PM PST by a_Turk

I appreciate your posts here, and I appreciate what a good friend and ally Turkey has been to the US. If there were more Muslims with your sensibilities, I wouldn't feel compelled to believe that Islam wants to conquer and destroy the US. I hear virtually nothing from Muslims all over the world disassociating themselves from terror. I hope you are correct, but I now believe I was wrong to support our helping the Bosnian Muslims. Some of those Muslims are in Tora Bora right now. Muslims see a tape with bin Laden admitting guilt and claim it's false. What am I supposed to think?
10 posted on 12/13/2001 5:52:20 PM PST by Republic of Texas
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

I'm thinking where murder is concerned, religion is more often the excuse, not the reason.
11 posted on 12/13/2001 5:53:05 PM PST by Hoplite

And trying to explain the implications vis-a-vis Bosnia is a Sisyphean task.
12 posted on 12/13/2001 5:54:24 PM PST by Hoplite

Hooray for Major Bunel. The NATO officers who went along with the illegal and brutal scheme to bomb Serbia and Kosovo were the real villains.... and our own Congress is included, because they didn't stop the madness either.
13 posted on 12/13/2001 5:54:27 PM PST by ValerieUSA

Yugoslavia was not "disintegrating" on its own - the Muslim rebels and thugs and criminals were disintegrating it on purpose for their own expansionist goals.
14 posted on 12/13/2001 5:56:26 PM PST by ValerieUSA

To: Michael2001
I left the American military before we got involved in Bosnia. Had I stayed, I'd probably be in trouble like this French guy is now
I met an Ameican lady on a trans-atlantic flight a few years back. She worked for the US government in Bosnia at the time. She was missing an arm. She was complaining about the place. I was teasing her, that "you wanted it, wouldn't let us go in, now you have it, deal with it." She did not like that. I sort of liked her though..

While the shit was hitting the fan in Bosnia, everyone in Turkey was ready to pounce. Every hair was raised. The US kept saying: "Down boy!" You had no choice. We would have gone in and made a real fine mess.

Wish life was so easy, making it possible to seperate the good from the bad by color, creed, or religion. It is not. You would embrace Miilosevich as a Christian, where he's not. He and OBL are birds of a feather..
15 posted on 12/13/2001 5:57:46 PM PST by a_Turk
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

To: ValerieUSA
Yugoslavia was not "disintegrating" on its own -
Ok? On the international scene life resembles the alleys of the Bronx. You can keep what's yours if you're strong enough.
the Muslim rebels and thugs and criminals were disintegrating it on purpose for their own expansionist goals
And to the fools in Tora Bora, the Americans are thugs and criminals. It's all a matter of perspective.
16 posted on 12/13/2001 6:04:27 PM PST by a_Turk
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

And that's what we are doing now, together in Afghanistan and soon elsewhere.

When you say “we”, who exactly do you mean?

Both are mis-translated. To help understand: You have two kinds of Christians today. The sort which is pro choice, vs the pro life. If the abundance of Christians around you were pro choice, then you'd advise me not to marry one.

There are plenty of people who I wouldn’t marry, I don’t compare them to “apes and swine to be despised and rejected”

I’m sorry that my copy of the Koran is mis-translated. Perhaps I should have purchased the edition that just read “islam is a peaceful religion” for 300 pages.

As for the Serbs “[being] cool for most of history”, I don’t share your view of being raped, robbed, terrorized, and subjugated as “being cool.”

17 posted on 12/13/2001 6:06:44 PM PST by Right of Buchannan
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

To: ValerieUSA
The NATO officers who went along with the illegal and brutal scheme to bomb Serbia and Kosovo were the real villains
So the bombing in Afghanistan is cruel and brutal too, as it kills plenty of (lesser valued) friendlys.. Life's a bitch. If it's too much, help yourself to a handful of sleeping pills.
18 posted on 12/13/2001 6:07:21 PM PST by a_Turk
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

Should have been shot, at the very least.
19 posted on 12/13/2001 6:08:52 PM PST by vladog

To: Republic of Texas
Hey! How've ya been :)
Some of those Muslims are in Tora Bora right now.
Along with one or two American Muslims.. What's yer point? Suggesting you shoulda watched the Bosnians get raped and murdered, their stuff taken away? Not the US I know!
Muslims see a tape with bin Laden admitting guilt and claim it's false.
All those should be shot! C'mon! Don't draw fronts between religions. OBL is controlling you when you do that! It's good against evil. Us against them! We are fighting a holy war in it's truest sence!
20 posted on 12/13/2001 6:12:41 PM PST by a_Turk
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-38 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson