News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Gunmen kill nine Christians in Indonesian city
AFP via Yahoo! News ^ | Wednesday December 19, 1:24 PM | AFP

Posted on 12/18/2001 10:12:47 PM PST by Pericles

Wednesday December 19, 1:24 PM

Gunmen kill nine Christians in Indonesian city

AMBON, Indonesia, Dec 19 (AFP) - Gunmen shot dead nine Christians travelling in a boat in the riot-torn eastern Indonesian city of Ambon, residents and hospital sources said Wednesday

Six women and three men were killed Tuesday, a nurse at the Halong navy hospital told AFP.

"The bodies of the victims have been claimed by their relatives, we're still treating one woman for gunshot wounds," said the nurse, who declined to be named.

All nine victims were Christians, a local journalist said, adding that speedboat services between two localities had been suspended.

Ambon's sectarian violence has often taken place at sea. On December 12, an explosion rocked a commercial boat carrying Christians in the same bay, killing seven people.

Last month gunmen in a speedboat shot dead three passengers in another boat.

Fighting between Muslims and Christians in the Malukus has left more than 5,000 people dead and created some half-a-million refugees since sectarian violence first erupted in the town of Ambon, on the island of the same name, in January 1999.

The conflict prompted the government to slap civil emergency rules in the Malukus last year.

TOPICS: Breaking News; Foreign Affairs; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS: catholiclist; christianlist; christianpersecutio; michaeldobbs; religion
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-60 next last

1 posted on 12/18/2001 10:12:47 PM PST by Pericles
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: Pericles
Indonesian police say abandoned warehouse may be former al-Qaeda camp

Wednesday December 19, 1:55 PM

JAKARTA, Dec 19 (AFP) - Indonesian police believe an abandoned warehouse in Central Sulawesi province may be a former al-Qaeda training center, it was reported Wednesday.

National police chief General Da'i Bachtiar was quoted as saying officers in Central Sulawesi had located the warehouse while trying to find evidence of foreign terrorist groups caught up in sectarian clashes there.

"Because it's already abandoned, we do not know for sure whether it was ever used or not," Bachtiar was quoted by the Tempo newspaper as saying.

Tempo said the warehouse was found in the hinterland 15 kilometersmiles) from Poso.

"There is nothing else there other than a house that seems to have been used as a residence. For the moment that's all the data we have."

National intelligence chief Hendropriyono had told journalists last week that international terrorist networks may have been behind renewed Muslim-Christian clashes near the troubled Sulawesi town of Poso.

Asked if he was referring to Osama bin Laden's al-Qaeda network, he replied in the affirmative.

The three-star general later told national radio that al-Qaeda fighters had trained near Poso some two years ago, but that their camps had been long abandoned.

An unnamed intelligence source told the daily that Hendropriyono's comments were based on claims made by an arrested al-Qaeda operative in Spain named Abu Dharar, who told a Spanish court last month that he had once visited several training camps near Poso.

Bachtiar said so far police had uncovered no evidence to back Hendropriyono's statement that there were indications of foreign terrorist role in the Muslim Christian clashes, but they were investigating.

"This is an intelligence report which we must cross-check," the police chief said.

Hendropriyono has since denied saying al-Qaeda had a hand in recent Muslim attacks on Christians near Poso.

Indonesia was omitted from a list of 45 countries published by Washington last week outlining where al-Qaeda was believed to have a presence.

A US official however told AFP the list, compiled over a month ago, was not intended as a definitive, exclusive one.

2 posted on 12/18/2001 10:16:02 PM PST by Pericles
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Pericles, veronica, hsszionist, dennisw
How did I know it was the Muslims? I just knew it, of course, they are killers and evil evil evil, they must be rooted out.
3 posted on 12/18/2001 10:16:07 PM PST by I_Love_My_Husband

To: Ambrose
Ping. Here is another fine example for you.
4 posted on 12/18/2001 10:18:52 PM PST by Mark17

The Christians there have asked primarily for guns. Is there a legal way to send them some?
5 posted on 12/18/2001 10:20:47 PM PST by xm177e2

To: grlfrnd
Mulsim psycho killers. Getting off on spilling blood just like the Azteca did and the Nazis did. Killing as sacrament.

At least the victims were not tortured or beheaded.

6 posted on 12/18/2001 10:23:10 PM PST by dennisw
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

To: dennisw
And we're supposed to be so culturally seeeeeeensitive right? This year Ramadan was everywhere, just as savage says, I'm sick of hearing about ramadan, SICK of it, these are the REAL people behind islam, they are PSYCHOTIC and we need to root them out and get rid of them.

God Bless President and Mrs. Bush.
7 posted on 12/18/2001 10:29:48 PM PST by I_Love_My_Husband
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

Gunmen shot dead nine Christians travelling in a boat in the riot-torn eastern Indonesian city of Ambon, residents and hospital sources said Wednesday

Does anyone think that the Christians in Ambon are doing any of the rioting?

8 posted on 12/18/2001 10:39:44 PM PST by freebilly

You are right and your friends (most of them) are wrong. This why you are here. And why you listen to Savage from Brooklyn.
9 posted on 12/18/2001 10:47:32 PM PST by dennisw
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

Another example of Islamic multiculturalism, not Islamic, not alive.
10 posted on 12/18/2001 10:47:38 PM PST by hsszionist
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

To: dennisw
Savage has been amazing lately, really really amazing. He's not losing energy and he's just going on and on. It's great. I like how he has bunched the commercials now, like he says there's 4 long breaks instead of 9 shorter ones and when he gets rolling he can really roll.....
11 posted on 12/18/2001 10:51:58 PM PST by I_Love_My_Husband
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

To: hsszionist
You have a great way of compressing a lot into a few words.
12 posted on 12/18/2001 10:54:52 PM PST by dennisw
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

To: hsszionist
Death cult just like the pagan Azteca. Maybe a rivalry to see who kills the most.

Plus these imbeciles killed off 1,000,000 of their own during Iran/Iraq war complete with poison gas. Yet Musli can only babble about Sabra/Shatila. The Musli psychorabble.

13 posted on 12/18/2001 10:58:51 PM PST by dennisw
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

Do you know who Matthew Sweet is?
14 posted on 12/18/2001 11:03:23 PM PST by dennisw
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

Click the icon for My Two Cents! Don't Rush To Judgment

Quote of the Day by Dog Gone

15 posted on 12/18/2001 11:04:04 PM PST by RJayneJ

Where's the UN?
16 posted on 12/18/2001 11:06:53 PM PST by america76

Comment #17 Removed by Moderator

It's time to stamp out the muslims, world wide.
18 posted on 12/19/2001 12:07:14 AM PST by exnavy

To: Mark17
"Islam is a peaceful and loving religion."
19 posted on 12/19/2001 1:01:21 AM PST by ambrose
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

The Saudis and probably Iraq are supplying weaponry to the terrorists in Indonesia. Who will get arms to the Christians? They are attempting to defend themselves with what they have, clubs from tree limbs and very few small guns.

The Christians would defend themselves if given weapons; the terrorists are cowards who would be more careful about attacking if they thought their victims were armed and dangerous.

20 posted on 12/19/2001 2:10:48 AM PST by WaterDragon
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-60 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson