Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Roxbury teacher breaks up fight, gets indicted
Morris County Daily Record ^ | December 23, 2001 | By Rob Jennings, Daily Record

Posted on 12/23/2001 2:11:10 PM PST by ZULU

Roxbury teacher breaks up fight, gets indicted

By Rob Jennings, Daily Record

ROXBURY — A high school teacher who interceded in a brawl between two students has been suspended without pay after being indicted on child endangerment charges stemming from the incident.

Richard Schwab, 34, of Hopatcong was suspended by the school board Monday night because of the Nov. 28 indictment, charging one count of endangering the welfare of a child. The indictment was handed up by a Morris County grand jury.

The incident that led to the charge took place at the high school April 4, according to Capt. Christopher Linne of the Morris County Prosecutor’s Office. The state Division of Youth and Family Services submitted a report on the incident. School board member Ed Hill, relating a description from another teacher who witnessed the fight, said Saturday that the two fighting students "would not break it up by verbally being told to stop."

Schwab then grabbed one of the combatants. "The boy that (Schwab) grabbed threw his arm over his head and grabbed the teacher and pulled them both down," Hill said.

Schwab and the student landed on the floor, Hill said, and the student apparently suffered a minor injury.

School officials stood by Schwab for more than five months after the altercation. He finished out the school year, apparently without any other problems, and returned to the classroom in September. Schwab was suspended, but with pay, in the first week of October after the DYFS report was prepared.

The teacher’s plight is not sitting well with many of his colleagues.

"I’ve talked to teachers at the school, and my understanding is that he was merely trying to break up a fight, and stop one student from hurting another," Hill said.

"It seems this process has been carried way out of proportion," Hill added. "What happens the next time a teacher has to break up a fight in the school? They’ll be worried about getting hauled before a grand jury."

The indictment reads that Schwab "did knowingly cause harm" to a 16-year-old student, whose identity is being withheld by the prosecutor’s office. The student received a minor wound and was treated at a medical center, Linne said. The contents of the DYFS report have not been made public.

Schwab did not return several phone calls for comment. His attorney, Alan Zegas, expressed astonishment that his client had been charged.

"He is going to enter a plea of not guilty … and he will vigorously fight the charges," Zegas said on Friday.

Schools Superintendent Louis Ripatrazone refused to comment, citing confidentiality laws. The union representing Roxbury’s teachers also declined to discuss the indictment.

But Hill, a retired teacher, said he was troubled that Schwab will end up in court as a result of the incident.

"My understanding of the law is that you are allowed to use physical force if one child is about to injure another," Hill said.

"I’ve been in education for 34 years, and I’ve never heard of a teacher being indicted by a grand jury for trying to break up a fight."

Rob Jennings can be reached at rjenning@morristo.gannett.com or (973) 989-0652. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TOPICS: News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-30 next last
IF this story is corrrect as presented and Schwab broke up a student fight by collaring one of the combatants when they refused to obey an order from a teacher, Schwab was clearly in the right. Further, if the student took a swing at Schwab, he, Schwab, is clearly entitled to defend himself by swinging back.

It would appear from this article that DYFS and the Morris County Prosecutor's Office are engaged in a terrible act of judicial malpractise.

For those of you who are fortunate enough NOT to live in New Jersey, DYFS is an acronym for the Division of Youth and Family Services, an agency of jack-booted beaurocratic liberal fascists who are better at harrassing innocent citizens over trivial incidents like this one, than actually preventing REAL abuse to children in the Garden State.

1 posted on 12/23/2001 2:11:10 PM PST by ZULU
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: ZULU
This whole thing is really a double-edged sword. If the teacher stood there and did nothing, he would be sued for negligence. But since he stepped in and stopped the altercation, he is being charged with child endangerment. This whole thing is crazy.
2 posted on 12/23/2001 2:17:46 PM PST by Excuse_My_Bellicosity
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Hate to burst your bubble but one is not entitled to defend himself anymore in school.Anyone caught fighting,in self defense or not,according to most schools,will be suspended.A few years back my son was attacked from behind in the hallway by another student,the principle called LEO's and my kid and the other kid was arrested for fighting.We had to take it to trial to prove that my son was attacked and did not swing on the other kid.Had he had a chance to defend himself he would have been convicted also.
3 posted on 12/23/2001 2:24:48 PM PST by eastforker

To: eastforker
That's right. A kid can't even raise his hands to protect his face. Many times, the school goon squad will stand there and watch a fight between two students. When the kid who is losing raises his hands to protect himself or fights back, then the goon squad will come in and stop the fight. Both students get screwed by the administration. Oh, and the federal courts say that schools are not responsible for a student's safety. Apparently, they are not responsible if they don't teach your child either. Makes you wonder why you should send your kid to public school.
4 posted on 12/23/2001 2:41:02 PM PST by bettina0
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

What kind of blood sucking lawyer would prosecute this guy!?
5 posted on 12/23/2001 2:50:40 PM PST by week 71

He is going to enter a plea of not guilty … and he will vigorously fight the charges

I hope he isn't indicted a second time.

6 posted on 12/23/2001 2:56:11 PM PST by What Is Ain't

The indictment reads that Schwab "did knowingly cause harm" to a 16-year-old student

It's going to be tought to prove that the teacher intended to cause injury to the 'child'.
Why is DYFS insisting on pursuing charges? Does the teacher have a past?

7 posted on 12/23/2001 3:05:14 PM PST by Teacher317

First off I went to this dump of a school

Schools Superintendent Louis Ripatrazone refused to comment
This is the guy that made the school take down a God Bless America sign after 911, it was a big thread here, He my friend, is a major jerk.

I bet it didn't happen this way... Just my opinion... Can't wait to see what happens in court.

8 posted on 12/23/2001 3:05:18 PM PST by Mr.E

Thank you so much for posting this very important article. Yes, it's true -- when a teacher "touches" a student IN ORDER TO BREAK UP A FIGHT, the teacher is in trouble.

But, what do they want the faculty to do? I myself have asked this question, and I kid you not, here are three answers I have received from various parties:

(1) "Let the kids beat the cr*p out of each other, because if you get involved, you'll be in trouble." Advice from a veteran teacher at an inner-city school where I taught.

(2) "You are required to phone an administrator immediately." Advice from an administrator, in a school with no phones in the classroom.

(3) "Stand back, and get out, pretend you saw nothing." Advice from support staff.
9 posted on 12/23/2001 3:11:45 PM PST by summer

To: Mr.E
This is the same county that tried an 8-year-old boy (known as the Duck Sauce Bomber) when he wrapped up some remains of a Chinese dinner (duck sauce, soy sauce) and wrote "bomb" on it. Of course the idiotic administrators at the school knew it wasn't a bomb, but they claimed they were terrified. A psychiatrist interviewed the boy and said he wasn't a danger to the community (he's a normal 8-yr-old kid), but the dufus principal of the school decided that he should press charges anyway. The judge gave the boy probation even though he knew the boy intended no harm. NJ is famous for this kind of nonsense. The Rutherford Institute claims NJ is the worst state in the nation for this kind of stupidity.
10 posted on 12/23/2001 3:13:56 PM PST by bettina0
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

PS - What I learned in my teacher training about this situation: ZERO.
11 posted on 12/23/2001 3:14:01 PM PST by summer

Comment #12 Removed by Moderator

To: Teacher317
They don't have to prove "intent" anymore. See Post 10.
13 posted on 12/23/2001 3:17:06 PM PST by bettina0
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

Comment #14 Removed by Moderator

To: bettina0
I'm convinced the common thread between "Duck sauce bomber", and the Teachers plight, is the pot of gold at the end of a sham lawsuit.
15 posted on 12/23/2001 3:28:10 PM PST by Slicksadick
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

In my days in jr. high school and high school during the late 40s and early 50s we had WWII combat veterans as teachers who would slap the shit out of you, and more, if you deserved it.
16 posted on 12/23/2001 3:39:08 PM PST by RLK

To: week 71
I have no faith in the legal profession. I doubt I ever will.
17 posted on 12/23/2001 3:40:13 PM PST by Bogey78O
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: RLK
...and that, by the way, was one of several reasons why there were no drugs in the school system back then.
18 posted on 12/23/2001 3:42:12 PM PST by RLK
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

To: Excuse_My_Bellicosity
Catch-22
19 posted on 12/23/2001 3:43:39 PM PST by Valin
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

This is insane, they're going to let bullies beat up weak children for sport. If the weak kid fights back, he gets suspended, too. If the weak kid doesn't, he'll just get mauled. Five or so years ago, before the recent spate of school shootings, there was a case of a kid who was bullied mercilessly in gym class. He took a handgun to school, and blew away the bully right there in class. I hope he still isn't in jail, he's a hero like Bernard Goetz.
20 posted on 12/23/2001 3:47:19 PM PST by xm177e2

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-30 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson