Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Author Under Fire on Accuracy of Gun Research
THE WASHINGTON TIMES ^ | January 1st 2002 | Robert Stacy McCain

Posted on 01/02/2002 9:54:28 AM PST by 2nd_Amendment_Defender

Edited on 07/12/2004 3:50:23 PM PDT by Jim Robinson. [history]

Michael Bellesiles' book "Arming America" won praise from gun-control advocates for "demolishing the myth" behind the individual right to gun ownership, with reviewers calling the book "exciting" and "valuable and thought-provoking."

Now Mr. Bellesiles' book, which contended that private gun ownership was uncommon in early America, is being called something else: a fraud.

(Excerpt) Read more at washtimes.com ...

TOPICS: Crime/Corruption; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS: banglist
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-32 next last
If the truth sets you free, then lies certainly tangle you up.
1 posted on 01/02/2002 9:54:29 AM PST by 2nd_Amendment_Defender
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

Comment #2 Removed by Moderator

To: Carol-HuTex
Agree! BANG!!!
3 posted on 01/02/2002 10:11:49 AM PST by Saundra Duffy
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: 2nd_Amendment_Defender
You mean a gun-control advocate may have lied about their work and conclusions?

How could this be? < /sarcasm >

4 posted on 01/02/2002 10:12:20 AM PST by mattdono
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

This, and lynx hair. I wonder what findings are next to be discredited? Global warming, perhaps?

-PJ

5 posted on 01/02/2002 10:12:28 AM PST by Political Junkie Too

The following do not matter:

1) Facts
2)Practicality
4)The Test of Time

All that matters is this really neat theory we read about in college.

6 posted on 01/02/2002 10:18:34 AM PST by lds23

Good article! A questions for the readership?

Mr. Bellesiles must "defend himself and the integrity of his scholarship immediately," Mr. Melton told the Boston Globe in October, adding: "Depending upon his response, the university will respond appropriately."

Questions over Lyncs hair in survey of Western US

If the Gun Control folks, the endangered species folks loose their credibility before the general public, what will the liberal media and the Democrats do? Will the pollution, global warming people be the next set of liars who will be uncovered? I think that one of the trends the Democratic party has not understood is the need (post 9-11) for honesty and integrity in leadership. I look forward to the 2002 and 2004 election cycle.

7 posted on 01/02/2002 10:19:33 AM PST by Robert357

Mr. Bellesiles said many of his notes for "Arming America" were destroyed when his Emory office was flooded in April 2000 and that he "had to reconstruct where I read the probate files from memory."

ROFL! A flood huh? Yah right, how convenient. What a lying scumbag.

I agree, he must be a Democrat.

8 posted on 01/02/2002 10:20:13 AM PST by Reagan is King

he "had to reconstruct where I read the probate files from memory."

This is a prize winning scholar?
Prosecution for fraud is the least this guy should be subjected to.

9 posted on 01/02/2002 10:23:04 AM PST by Publius6961

In his OAH article, Mr. Bellesiles said many of his notes for "Arming America" were destroyed when his Emory office was flooded in April 2000 and that he "had to reconstruct where I read the probate files from memory." He said an upcoming issue of the William and Mary Quarterly devoted to the "Arming America" controversy "will explore alternative readings of the evidence."

I usually prefer this one: "My dog at it." It's a lot more believable, and if they deny it, you produce a pocket full of dog poop.

10 posted on 01/02/2002 10:24:59 AM PST by Lazamataz

In his OAH article, Mr. Bellesiles said many of his notes for "Arming America" were destroyed when his Emory office was flooded in April 2000 and that he "had to reconstruct where I read the probate files from memory." He said an upcoming issue of the William and Mary Quarterly devoted to the "Arming America" controversy "will explore alternative readings of the evidence."

I usually prefer this one: "My dog ate it." It's a lot more believable, and if they deny it, you produce a pocket full of dog poop.

11 posted on 01/02/2002 10:25:17 AM PST by Lazamataz

James Melton, chairman of the Emory University history department, has asked Mr. Bellesiles to answer his accusers in detail.

I'm glad to see this...finally. Melton, of course, is just trying to save his and his department's skin, but if Bellesiles gets roasted in the process, so much the better.

12 posted on 01/02/2002 10:26:18 AM PST by randog

To: Reagan is King
The dog ate my research.
13 posted on 01/02/2002 10:26:53 AM PST by ibbryn
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

To: Lazamataz
So? When questioned about the flood in his office, Bellesiles can simply produce a cup of water.

You're just not thinking today, Laz.

14 posted on 01/02/2002 10:31:05 AM PST by Gumlegs
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

To: Carol-HuTex
"In his OAH article, Mr. Bellesiles said many of his notes for "Arming America" were destroyed when his Emory office was flooded in April 2000 and that he "had to reconstruct where I read the probate files from memory.""

I'll even expand on that, and suggest that he attended the Bill Clinton Correspondence School of Denial.

15 posted on 01/02/2002 10:32:45 AM PST by Frances_Marion
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: Lazamataz
I usually prefer this one: "My dog ate it." It's a lot more believable, and if they deny it, you produce a pocket full of dog poop.

He's already scraping the bottom of the barrel of klintonian lame excuses, hoping one will stick. But his defenders will eventually say, "this subject is so important that even if his research isn't true, it should be".

His phony historical records reminds me of George Orwell's quote, that the USSR is the only place on earth where yesterday's weather can change. Well, our gungrabber academics are a pretty stalinist bunch, too, so our historical records are changing. Or at least, they claimed they saw them change.

16 posted on 01/02/2002 10:43:04 AM PST by 300winmag
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

If you are an Emory alumnus and donate to your alma mater, you are paying Bellesiles the liar.

Next time the phonathon beggar calls asking for your loyal contribution to your alma mater, tell them no and tell them why.

Scandals of antigun politicians and activists - including MORE debunking of Bellesiles!

17 posted on 01/02/2002 10:46:01 AM PST by glc1173@aol.com

What a sorry piece of crap that moron is! I can't stand liberal morons who have to lie to get attention. I doubt this big lie will get a lot of press. I know that it was in the latest issue of NRA's American Rifleman. At least the NRA is pointing it out...
18 posted on 01/02/2002 10:47:55 AM PST by Martyboy1

Sorry, this article is a double post. The other article is posted under Conservatism/Constitution with the same title.
19 posted on 01/02/2002 10:51:09 AM PST by 2nd_Amendment_Defender

To: 300winmag
He's already scraping the bottom of the barrel of klintonian lame excuses, hoping one will stick. But his defenders will eventually say, "this subject is so important that even if his research isn't true, it should be".

"It doesn't MATTER if he lied. His INTENTIONS were good. If it saves ONE LIFE, we should lie for THE CHILDREN. Facts are not important in the drive to STOP THE BLOODSHED. We must TAKE BACK THE STREETS by ANY MEANS NECESSARY. We must get GUNS OFF THE STREETS whether or not we lie to do it."

20 posted on 01/02/2002 10:51:42 AM PST by Lazamataz
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-32 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson