Free Republic 2nd Quarter Fundraising Target: $88,000 Receipts & Pledges to-date: $55,450
63%  
Woo hoo!! And we're now over 63%!! Thank you all very much for your continuing support!

Keyword: noaa

Brevity: Headers | « Text »
  • Editorial: It's time for Congress to put Commerce, NOAA chiefs under oath

    01/14/2011 9:44:13 AM PST · by Captain7seas · 3 replies
    The Gloucester Times ^ | January 11, 2011 | Gloucester Times
    January 11, 2011 Editorial: It's time for Congress to put Commerce, NOAA chiefs under oath The Gloucester Daily Times Tue Jan 11, 2011, 11:10 PM EST It may bring some measure of visceral satisfaction for fishermen in Gloucester, New Bedford and across New England to hear Congressman Barney Frank give U.S. Commerce Secretary Gary Locke a verbal pummeling for Locke's refusal to relax draconian federal catch limits. Frank, in an interview on WBSM AM 1420 in New Bedford, accused Locke of not having the courage to stand up to his subordinates. And, pathetic as it sounds, that clearly seems true....
  • Opinion: Fishermen are worse than BP?

    01/14/2011 8:52:40 AM PST · by Captain7seas · 6 replies
    SavingSeafood.org ^ | January 9, 2011 | Nils Stolpe
    OPINION: Fishermen are worse than BP? However, according to Jane Lubchenco, head of NOAA, in a statement in the Miami Herald on Dec. 30, in her estimation it wasn't BP and the biggest accidental oil spill that the world has ever seen or the wanton use, with her approval, of toxic chemical dispersants that was responsible for the dead turtles. It was fishermen. Last year's BP oil spill resulted in 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 million gallons of petroleum products being released into the Gulf of Mexico every day for three months. It was the largest accidental oil spill that...
  • 2010 ties for warmest year, emissions to blame

    01/12/2011 3:38:37 PM PST · by NormsRevenge · 35 replies
    Yahoo ^ | 1/12/11 | Timothy Gardner - Reuters
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) – Last year tied for the warmest since data started in 1880, capping a decade of record high temperatures that shows mankind's greenhouse gas emissions are heating the planet, two U.S. agencies said. Global surface temperatures in 2010 were 1.12 degrees Fahrenheit (0.62 Celsius) above the 20th century average, tying the record set in 2005, the National Climatic Data Center at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration said on Wednesday. "These results show that the climate is continuing to show the influence of greenhouse gases. It's showing evidence of warming," David Easterling, the chief of the scientific services...
  • Atmosphere's self-cleaning capacity stable: study (Whew!! We can breathe again.)

    01/07/2011 10:37:57 AM PST · by NormsRevenge · 26 replies
    Yahoo ^ | 1/7/11 | AFP
    WASHINGTON (AFP) – An international team of researchers has found that the atmosphere's ability to cleanse itself of pollutants and other greenhouse gases, except carbon dioxide, is generally stable. The study, published in Friday's edition of the journal Science, comes amid a fierce debate over whether, as some experts believe, the atmosphere's self-cleaning ability was fragile and sensitive to environmental changes. The research team, which was led by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), measured levels in the atmosphere of hydroxyl radicals, which play a key role in atmospheric chemistry. Levels of the agent only fluctuated a few percentage...
  • NOAA Climate Scientist: “We Need to Do Whatever We Can to Reduce Population”

    01/06/2011 5:40:02 PM PST · by Ernest_at_the_Beach · 84 replies
    Hauntingthelibrary ^ | January 3, 2011 | Hauntingthelibrary
    John B. Miller, a climate scientist at the University of Colorado, Boulder, doing research for NOAA, has been filmed at a “350″ climate change rally at the Denver statehouse calling for control of population and an end to the “madness” of economic growth.In what was clearly a passionate and deeply heartfelt speech, Miller told the audience, to cheers and applause: I would be remiss, as a scientist who studied this, if I didn’t mention the following two things:The first is that, most importantly, we need to do, as a society, in this country and globally, whatever we can to reduce...
  • The sun is still in a slump – still not conforming to NOAA “consensus” forecasts

    01/06/2011 12:50:01 PM PST · by Ernest_at_the_Beach · 47 replies
    Watts Up With That? ^ | January 5, 2011 | Anthony Watts
    NOAA’s Space Weather Prediction Center (SWPC) produced their monthly solar cycle progression update yesterday. The news is not encouraging. We’ve had a drop in solar activity again in December, The sunspot count is lower, but the really worrisome thing is the Ap geomagnetic index. The solar dynamo has now dropped to magnetic activity levels last seen in late 2009. Readers may recall this post from December 23rd: Solar Geomagnetic Ap Index Hits Zero which was a bit unusual this far into cycle 24. Here’s the Ap Index from SWPC: The Ap value of 3 was last seen in late 2009 and...
  • NOAA's Catch Shares Fisheries Debacle (attacks on food supplies ramp up)

    12/27/2010 6:12:57 PM PST · by Ron C. · 106 replies · 50+ views
    American Thinker ^ | December 23, 2010 | Mike Johnson
    Barrack Obama came to office with an agenda to fundamentally change America.  An element of his agenda is a plan, known as catch shares, to restructure the nation's fishing industry.  The author of his plan is Dr. Jane Lubchenco, the environmentalist rock star and former vice chairperson of the Environmental Defense Fund (EDF).  When it comes to the oceans, the protection of fish, and the punishment of the evil fishermen, Dr. Lubchenco is as extreme as Obama's former green jobs czar, Van Jones. Obama, with no managerial experience himself, didn't simply make Dr. Lubchenco one of his numerous czars --...
  • Blizzard Warning (NYC Area)

    12/25/2010 1:45:54 PM PST · by FreeReign · 44 replies · 2+ views
    NWS ^ | NWS
    3:55 PM EST on December 25, 2010 ... Blizzard Warning in effect from 6 am Sunday to 6 PM EST Monday... The National Weather Service in Upton has issued a Blizzard Warning... which is in effect from 6 am Sunday to 6 PM EST Monday. The Winter Storm Watch is no longer in effect. * Locations... northeast New Jersey... New York City and its immediate suburbs... Long Island... and coastal and interior southeast Connecticut.
  • NEWS ALERT: Most Federal Spill-Response Contracts Have Gone to Companies Based in Massachusetts

    11/17/2010 8:43:17 PM PST · by Islander7 · 14 replies
    Stuart Smith Blog - Bloomberg ^ | Nov 17, 2010 | Stuart Smith
    Full Title: NEWS ALERT: Most Federal Spill-Response Contracts Have Gone to Companies Based in Ken Feinberg’s Home State of Massachusetts ----- Too long to post----- Bloomberg is out with a blockbuster story today: Massachusetts-based companies received twice as much money in federal contracts stemming from the BP oil spill as all five Gulf states combined. The source is data compiled by Bloomberg Rankings from the Federal Procurement Data System. Of the five states where businesses received the most money, only Louisiana borders the Gulf. The Pelican State’s contracts totaled at least $10.9 million. That amount combined with federal response money...
  • New Supercomputer to Boost Weather Forecasting

    10/24/2010 3:05:45 PM PDT · by ColdOne · 11 replies
    AOLNews ^ | Oct 24,2010 | Paul Yeager
    (Oct. 24) -- Jokes about inaccurate weather forecasts are as popular as jokes about doughnut shops and the police, but advances in satellite data and computers have dramatically improved climate science in the past 50 years.
  • NOAA Scientist: Release of Oil Spill Report done by White House, Not NOAA

    08/19/2010 6:18:36 PM PDT · by SaraJohnson · 31 replies
    Canada Free Press ^ | Darrell Issa
    WASHINGTON, DC – A NOAA scientist, Dr. Bill Lehr, yesterday told a group of Congressional staff investigators on a conference call that a controversial National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) report claiming that nearly three-quarters of the oil from the Gulf oil spill has already been addressed was released by White House officials and not scientists at NOAA.
  • Top Climate Scientists Speak out on the Satellitegate Scandal

    08/17/2010 8:16:19 AM PDT · by Brett66 · 24 replies
    Canada Free press ^ | 8/16/10 | John O' Sullivan
    Nation's battered satellite environmental monitoring program Top Climate Scientists Speak out on the Satellitegate Scandal By John O'Sullivan Monday, August 16, 2010 US Government admits global warming satellite sensors “degraded” - temperatures may be out by 10-15 degrees. Now five satellites in controversy. Top scientists speak out. In an escalating row dubbed ‘Satellitegate’ further evidence proves NOAA knew of these faults for years. World’s top climate scientists and even prior governmental reports cite underfunding and misallocation as the trigger for spiraling satellite data calamities. Key flaws with five satellites undermines global data. Most disturbing of all is that it took...
  • Hurricane formation linked to sea color: study

    08/15/2010 2:12:55 PM PDT · by NormsRevenge · 11 replies
    AFP on Yahoo ^ | 8/15/10 | AFP
    WASHINGTON (AFP) – A change in the color of the ocean could dramatically impact the number and intensity of hurricanes, according to US researchers. A team of researchers with National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) ran computer simulations of such a change in the North Pacific, a region that accounts for more than half the world's hurricane-force winds. The main factor is the green tint ocean water takes when there are large concentrations of chlorophyll, a pigment that helps tiny organisms known as phytoplankton convert sunlight into food for the rest of the marine ecosystem. "We think of the oceans...
  • NOAA trims hurricane outlook, still seen very active

    08/05/2010 9:42:58 AM PDT · by saganite · 16 replies
    Yahoo/Reuters ^ | 5 August 2010 | staff
    U.S. government scientists on Thursday reduced their forecast for the 2010 Atlantic-Caribbean hurricane season, saying that while it will still be active, there were fewer storms in June and July than expected. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration said it now expects 14 to 20 tropical storms, with eight to 12 of those strengthening into hurricanes, during the six-month season that began on June 1. It forecast that four to six of these would become major hurricanes. Before the season began, NOAA had forecast 14 to 23 tropical storms, with eight to 14 developing into hurricanes, and three to seven...
  • Audit Cites Wide Fund Abuse By NOAA Cops (New Courts of Vice-Admiralty)

    07/31/2010 11:16:57 AM PDT · by an amused spectator · 3 replies
    Gloucester Daily Times (Massachusetts) ^ | July 1, 2010 | Richard Gaines
    U.S. commercial fishermen paid fines amounting to tens of millions of dollars to the fisheries "law enforcement" division of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration over the last five years. The money ended up in an unrecorded account (slush fund) for NOAA scumbags administrators & cops, a forensic audit for a U.S. inspector general shows. http://www.gloucestertimes.com/local/x383291258/Audit-cites-wide-fund-abuse-by-NOAA-cops *Peasants - so their Elite Masters in government can live better than they do. Thanks for the $3 million dollar wedding, peasants! - Bill, Hillary & Chelsea
  • How to Tell It's Summer: NOAA Says Earth's Hotter Than Ever

    07/16/2010 9:30:18 AM PDT · by nysuperdoodle · 29 replies · 1+ views
    ECR ^ | 16 Jul 10 | EC
    Is it just me, or do they do this every summer? NOAA: June, April to June, and Year-to-Date Global Temperatures are Warmest on Record July 15, 2010 Last month’s combined global land and ocean surface temperature made it the warmest June on record and the warmest on record averaged for any April-June and January-June periods, according to NOAA. Worldwide average land surface temperature was the warmest on record for June and the April-June period, and the second warmest on record for the year-to-date (January-June) period, behind 2007.
  • Two Congressmen, Both Democrats, Ask Obama to Dismiss His NOAA Administrator

    07/09/2010 10:11:43 AM PDT · by jazusamo · 11 replies
    CNSNews ^ | July 9, 2010 | Susan Jones
    (CNSNews.com) - Reps. Barney Frank and John Tierney, both Massachusetts Democrats, say Dr. Jane Lubchenco, the head of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, has shown hostility to the concerns of fishermen and should step down. Among other problems, a recent inspector-general’s report found problems with the way NOAA’s Office of Law Enforcement spent money raised through fines and penalties on fishermen. Frank and Tierney – both of whom represent port cities in Massachusetts -- say tensions between Lubchenco and the fishing community have been building for months and show no sign of abating. They place the blame squarely on Lubchenco,...
  • Kindra Arnesen: Gulf Emergency Summit 19 June 2010 (video)

    07/08/2010 1:09:31 PM PDT · by blueyon · 8 replies
    You tube ^ | 6/19/2010
    Kindra Arnesen, a young mother of two 8 and 5 year-old children, and the wife of a commercial fisherman in Louisiana, became extremely concerned about the lack of progress of the relief operations of the BP oil disaster in the Gulf of Mexico. She had the opportunity to investigate on the spot by participating in a number of meetings with authorities, and in on-site 'clean-up' visits. She vividly and powerfully describes, at the Gulf Emergency Summit in New Orleans, the harsh reality of what's really going in the area - and the need to prepare for evacuation of populations. You...
  • Projections Show 20% Chance Oil Will Reach From Corpus Christi To Charleston

    07/05/2010 2:20:20 PM PDT · by blam · 15 replies
    The Business Insider ^ | 7-5-2010 | Gus Lubin
    Projections Show 20% Chance Oil Will Reach From Corpus Christi To Charleston Gus Lubin Jul. 5, 2010, 11:40 AM NOAA just released threat simulations for the oil spill, assuming a 33,000 barrels ber day spill that lasts for 90 days (via SkyTruth). Simulations show an 80% chance damage will round the tip of Florida. There is a 20% chance oil will make it all the way up to Charleston, SC, and west to Corpus Christi Texas. In the worst scenario -- less than 1% chance -- oil could spread down to southern Mexico and engulf the Caribbean islands. The simulation...
  • Stopping The EPA's Power Grab

    06/09/2010 5:23:06 PM PDT · by Kaslin · 15 replies · 359+ views
    IBD Editorial ^ | June 9, 2010 | Investors Business Daily staff
    Overregulation: The Senate votes on blocking a government bureaucracy from usurping power never delegated to it by Congress. This administration may put Copenhagen above the Constitution, but we the people have other plans. The GOP's 1994 "Contract with America," a gift that keeps on giving, hopefully will rescue us once again from the clutches of an unelected bureaucracy, the Environmental Protection Agency, which has been allowed by the Supreme Court to regulate every breath we take and every machine we operate. When cap-and-tax legislation was introduced in Congress, the Obama administration threatened that if Congress failed to act, the EPA...