Since Aug 18, 2000
My Political Views
I am a right social libertarian
Right: 5.9, Libertarian: 6.21Political Spectrum Quiz
Military-Related ThreadsOnly Marines Touched That Casket
Marines enters Corps history books with longest expeditionary fuel line
Marines recount POW rescue operation
War-tempered Marines find downtime is no good time
[Marine] Combat leader shines in Nasiriyah
Of Personal InterestFrom an earlier discussion:
My 10 favorite Science Fiction movies, in no particular order (well, in the order that they came to me!):
- Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home. I love the dialogue where Spock tries to learn cuss words.
- Blade Runner. The scene where the replicant realizes that her memories of her mother are implants still makes me shudder.
- The Fifth Element. I just happen to enjoy Luc Besson's movies. I think this one is a visual masterpiece.
- Back to the Future. All three episodes are wonderful, but III is my favorite of the trilogy.
- Planet of the Apes. The first one, not any of the sequels! The ending, where he discovers the half-buried Statue of Liberty (wonderfully spoofed, BTW, by Mel Brooks in "Spaceballs") is truly great.
- Forbidden Planet. The creature was from his subconscious mind!
- Mars Attacks. OK, not a "true" Science Fiction movie, but one that my teenage daughter and I can watch together and thoroughly enjoy. "Ack Ack Ack!"
- The Lathe of Heaven. A movie made in the 70's from a novel of the same name by Ursula LeGuin. I had read the novel before I saw the movie. Both excellent.
- Invaders from Mars. I first saw this 1953 movie when I was a child, and it scared the Bejeezus out of me. Implants in the back of the head? And that creature in the globe!
- X Men: The Movie. My most recent movie. I really enjoyed this one, particularly since I was a loyal collector of the original comic book series as a kid.
Anyway, my two cents worth.
Other Threads of Interest[Vanity Post] Any recommendations for good online technical education?AARP 'dead set against' Bush's Social Security plan
Vanity thread: Seeking info from Kansas Freepers[Trip to Kansas in February for family]