Skip to comments.California man whose dog was killed by cops faces up to five years in prison
Posted on 09/06/2014 9:54:58 PM PDT by SirPeredur
The California owner of a Rottweiler that was fatally shot by police has been charged with multiple felony counts on Tuesday, including one charge of intimidating a witness.
He is currently being held on $310,000 bail and faces up to five years in prison if convicted of the six felony counts and one misdemeanor he is charged with.
Leon Cordell Rosby, a 52-year-old man from Hawthorne, Calif., was walking his dog Max while watching a police response to a robbery on June 30. The California man had loud music playing from his car and was videotaping the showdown with his cell phone.
Not a bright thing to do.
This man has ruined almost any chance to get a sympathetic hearing in court because of #1. His insistence on walking his dog at very close proximity to a pack of police cars while they were in the middle of an active arrest, #2, His Bullying, hysterical overreactions to being filmed. Of course, yes, it was wrong and cruel for the police to shoot his dog that way. He could have avoided the entire incident.
I used to give the police the benefit of the doubt.
There are too many videos like this to do that any longer.
I used to think that American blacks were hypersensitive about the popo.
That’s changed, too, maybe because now we all live in a police state.
Still, there are good cops out there. There really are. It’s just that 90% give the other 10% a bad name.
This guy was highly irresponsible in how he approached this situation and from what I observed was trying to get a reaction from the Police. He put his dog in that situation, failed to properly secure his dog before approaching the Officers, and owns part of the responsibility for his dogs death.
On the other hand, why was this guy detained and placed into handcuffs? For videotaping? From what I saw this was all senseless and resulted in the unecessary death of Max. This video was extremely sickening.
Why the hell did they take him into custody?
Didn’t appear to be doing anything wrong...
I think it’s rather obvious: they wanted to lard on some felony charges so they could trade of dismissal of the charges in exchange for his agreement not to sue for wantonly killing his dog.
I have zero sympathy for this thug.
As for the dog: The thing was aggressive and inches from the cops. Were they supposed to wait for the biting to start?
The cops are just going to have to get used to living in a world where everything they do is videotaped, either by ubiquitous security cameras owned by the government and private citizens or by people carrying cameras on themselves and in their cars. Then they will have to start recording everything they do if for no other reason than to have a defense against creative editing by other camera owners.
Also be on the lookout for laws which require cameras to automatically shut down based on either a radio or optical signal so police can create blackout zones where they can't be observed. Better save some of today's cameras so you have something without any such new feature.
True, the dog was inches from the cop. But the cops set that whole thing in motion. I don't care if that man had an arrest record a mile long. He was just standing on a street corner. He wasn't bothering anyone, and he wasn't interfering with anyone.
The only reason the cops moved on him was that he had his cell phone out, which was his right. I hope those cops get fired, and the man wins a huge settlement from the city.
Hope not a cent of taxpayer money goes to this thug and his media lawyer. The City of Hawthorne has much more pressing budget needs than enriching these folks.
It is illegal in some states to video police.
It is illegal in some states to video police.
Some pigs are more equal than others.
It is not illegal in any state to film the police.
Well the left and the commie shave succeeded with you
So glad you know why the police moved on him....of course it does not match the facts reported in the actual reporting on the story by local news....but that’s okay because RT is sooo reliable
How very black panther of you
Maybe not Are Cameras the New Guns?
But cops are arresting people anyway
“Thats changed, too, maybe because now we all live in a police state.”
You’ll be in for a RUDE AWAKENING if you believe that we now live in a police state.
Read some books on Stalin’s Russia or North Korea, as I have. It will help.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.