Skip to comments.Vanity - After Convention, Trump should make a Civility Speech
Posted on 07/15/2016 11:09:33 AM PDT by Yaelle
I think that soon after the Convention, Trump can make history and rally everyone around him with a Civility Speech. He needs to announce it, act like its gonna be Yuge, then deliver a speech to every American about civility.
Some of the content should be:
- saying that he hopes everyone is either watching, or will watch it later on YouTube, even if they dont like HIM because this is about all of us, not him
- saying that American civility will be a bully pulpit focus in his first 100 days in office, but that we can't wait til then; more people will die before then and a good leader needs to inspire greatness in others
- we all need to understand what civilization means. That it means kindness in a very general way, kindness to all, even those whom you cant see. When you are civilized, that means not behaving with hot reactions like animals do, you treat people with CIVILITY
- how 250 years ago it was said that America is great because she is GOOD. Meaning you can trust her people. Meaning we strive to be lawful and treat others with civility. Politeness. Weve lost that.
- a heartfelt plea to all Americans, all races, all professions (even if you are in law enforcement), to make a yuge effort to treat everyone you meet and everyone you dont meet with civility and respect. Keep your towns and cities clean. Parks and streets are better not filled with trash. Open doors, smile, be decent.
- not to think about how others have done you wrong or threatened you in the past but to treat each new person with respect. Not generalizing that all cops or all people of a certain culture or race deserve any less than human kindness and civility.
- Confidence that we as Americans are up to it and can do it.
- surprise each other with our kindness and decency and it will make America a better place to live and a safer place to visit (he can quote from other countries recent warnings at how unsafe some of our cities have become)
- make it short and concise
I would be hesitant to give him any advice- he seems to be kicking a$$ without my help
Today of all days you think Trump needs to be the Ms. Manners of the 2016 Campaign is a "pressing need????"
Yes, but not after the attack in France.
George W Bush had a mjaor initiative as he began his first administration — he wanted “a new tone” in Washington.
That meant that Republicans in the Washington establishment would be nice and let their opponents walk all over them, while the Radical Leftist Extremists would wage war against the fascist hate-mongers likes W.
Let’s not do Round 2.
Nope. Trump should hold up a two page statement of work, including the start date, of the construction of building the Wall.
I disagree. We’ve had enough lectures on our behavior, lack thereof, etc. from other... ahem... persons.
I think civility is something better practiced than preached about. Trump is more civil than people give him credit for, but pleaing for it might invite criticism because Trump will need to continue to call people out. It’s a key part of his charm.
Isn’t that just more PC blather?
I am so sick of talk. I’d like someone to actually do something.
I think Trump needs to continue being Trump....
What a DUmb, poorly timed, and tone deaf suggestion.
You want pap, just listen to the liberals.
Or review one of George H Bush wimpy kinder, gentler speeches and see what that got us.
Civility? Trump? What for?
Yep...We have had all the “politispeak” we can endure for the last 25 years...It’s about time we get away from the practiced, eloquent speech making that all the “professional politicians” force upon us...
Trump speaks as we would speak...That’s all we need....
Ok, everyone disagrees, no worries.
I would never want him to stop being Trump.
I would never want the speech to be too close to a terror attack or the Convention.
This is in reference to the BLM / cop killing incidents, not Islamic terror.
The number one problem in inner cities is decivilization, period. I guess I’m the only one who feels that it would be very good to expect MORE CIVILIZATION from American citizens, not the bigotry of low expectations going on today where we allow people to rut and attack like animals.
The hell with civility.
I want the truth...unvarnished and blunt. That's why people like Trump. To the best of his ability, he speaks the truth.
People that want civility just want a bigger safe space.
Is the fight for freedom and against tyranny “civil”? We all saw what the Bushes “civility” - “kinder, gentler”, and “compassionate conservatism” - was. It was higher taxes and more unconstitutional socialism.
The fight for freedom isn’t always pretty and tyrants can always assume a “civil” posture in their coercion and oppression of others.
Government by nature is not “civil”. Government coerces and kills - that’s what government does. The way to have a civil society is LIMITED CONSTITUTIONAL GOVERNMENT and INDIVIDUAL FREEDOM. A free society will be a “civil” society.
Anybody else notice that during the republican debates after Trump blasts one of the other candidates, they would just stand there with a sickly smile for minute??? They didn’t know what to say or how to say it...
Every single one of them, when they they spoke made me think I could see them the night before, standing in front of a mirror, practicing their lines over and over...
They could not speak from the heart as Trump did and does even now....
The Left has used civility and good manners to sneak in their concept of political correctness, which, in the final analysis, is the path that leads to the death of freedom of speech (i.e. truth).
Truth to the Left is like daylight to vampires.
The number one problem in our country, inner cities and elsewhere, is a mostly unconstitutional $4 trillion central government that threatens to take away all of our freedoms and opportunities. Dismantling the $4 trillion government before it dismantles us is TOP PRIORITY.
Freedom, will follow - and a free society is a civil society.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.