Skip to comments.Jefferson County 8th grader dead after trying to light fire with 5 gallons of gasoline
Posted on 02/21/2018 11:14:11 AM PST by BBell
A Jefferson County teen has died after he was burned while trying to start a fire nearly one week ago.
Jefferson County Sheriff's Office officials said they were notified Thursday by a hospital social worker that the teen had suffered severe burns and would be taken off life support, said Chief Deputy Randy Christian.
Authorities didn't release the teen's name but a GoFundMe account set up in his name and multiple social media posts identified him as Sam Gean, an eighth-grader at Corner Middle School where he played the trumpet in the school band. The fundraising account said he was burned over 95 percent of his body.
(Excerpt) Read more at al.com ...
FIVE GALLONS?! Holy cow! The conflagration from that must’ve been quite the spectacle.
Really sad. When I played with fire, I made a few observations about flammable liquids. Like, squeeze the charcoal lighter can in bursts, don’t generate a steady stream. A five gallon jerry can... jeezus!
Decades ago I sometimes used gasoline to start fires. I then switched to diesel.
The last thing you want to do is pour out a bunch of gas and then go looking for a match. When you finally light the match, the whole thing becomes one of those “fuel/air bombs”.
Diesel is pretty harmless, at least relative to gasoline. It won’t explode...at least, I’ve not gotten it to, but I’ll keep trying.
Oh dear Lord. Prayers for the family. He must have suffered terribly.
How had this boy not been taught about the dangers of gasoline? If you need to start a fire, reasonable amounts of charcoal starter does a good job with a small fraction of the explosiveness of gasoline.
Looks like Uncle Rob’s gettin’ sued soon...
This is the “Tide pods are delicious” generation after all.
Dumb but still sad.
We need to limit the size of jerry cans to 1 pint
He must have looked like Richard Pryor running around like that.
We were at a park and some grown men were trying to light a bbq pit down a bit from us. I knew what was going on in their little pee brains and told kiddo to get behind me. Yeppers, they poured a gas can on it. BAM! Surprised they didn’t blow themselves up.
There but by the grace of God go I (and my brother).
We were always lighting 10 foot piles of pine straw with gasoline and kerosine. Pine straw doesn’t really need anything to help it, but where’s the fun in that.
Once I saw my brother pour gasoline or kerosine on a pile and about the time he got ready to light it, I noticed this low level fog about 8 inches off the ground had formed in about a 40 foot radius. And he was standing in the middle of it.
I started to say something, but it was too late. He lit it and was standing in a lake of fire. He looked around and started high stepping it out of there.
I’m still laughing about it 40 years later.
Uncle Rob is like Red Green with gasoline.
Pray for his soul and his family. How sad but by that age, he should know the danger he was in.
I honestly don’t know how I’m alive today.
I played with fire and gasoline as a kid and made some really stupid decisions.
Just lucky, I guess.
Now, we’ve got to outlaw gasoline so this never happens again. That’s what the Parkland kids would want.
Gasoline has a very low flash point diesel and Kerosene have much higher flash point. Put gas in a Kerosene heater and you just made a bomb.
It’s a horrible way to go but I see similar stories often. NEVER NEVER NEVER use gasoline to get fire going.
Diesel is what I use to get the backyard fire going but who has that around the house? Every house has a can of gas in the garage for the lawnmower so that’s what the uneducated use, often with tragic results.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.