Skip to comments.How to Handle the Koran; Official D.O.D. Guidelines. (No Similar Rules for Christian Bible)
Posted on 06/07/2005 7:26:41 PM PDT by fight_truth_decay
JTF-GTMO-JDOG-CO 19 JAN 03 MEMORANDUM FOR All personnel, JDOG SUBJECT: Camp Delta Interim SOP Modification: Inspecting/Handling Detainee Korans Standard Operating Procedure (SOP)
1. General. The purpose of this SOP is to provide guidance and set specific procedures for the handling and inspecting of detainee Korans.
2. Intent. To ensure the safety of the detainees and MPs while respecting the cultural dignity of the Korans thereby reducing the friction over the searching the Korans. JTF-GTMO personnel directly working with detainees will avoid handling or touching the detainees Koran whenever possible. When military necessity does require the Koran to be search, the subsequent procedures will be followed.
3. Inspection. a. The MP informs the detainee that the Chaplain or a Muslim interpreter will inspect Koran. If the detainee refuses the inspection at any time, the noncompliance is reported to the Detention Operations Center (DOC) and logged appropriately by the block NCO. b. The Koran will not be touched or handled by the MP. c. The Chaplain or Muslim interpreter will give instructio ns to the detainee who will handle the Koran. He may or may not require a language specific interpreter. d. The inspector is examining so as to notice an unauthorized items, markings, or any indicators that raises suspicion about the contents of the Koran. e. The inspector will instruct the detainee to first open the one cover with one hand while holding the Koran in the other thus exposing the inside cover completely. f. The inspector instructs the detainee to open pages in an upright manner (as if reading the Koran). This is a random page search and not every page is to be turned. Pages will be turned slowly enough to clearly see the pages. g. The inspector has the detainee show the inside of the back cover of the Koran.
DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE JOINT TASK FORCE GUANTANAMO HEADQUARTERS, JOINT DETENTION OPERATION GROUP (JDOG) GUANTANAMO BAY, CUBA APO AE 09360 JTF-GTMO-JDOG-CO SUBJECT: Camp Delta Interim SOP Modification:
Inspecting/Handling Detainee Korans Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) h. The detainee is instructed to show both ends of the Koran while the book is closed so that inspector can note the binding while closed paying attention to abnormal contours or protrusions associated with the binding. The intent is to deduce if anything may be in the binding without forcing the detainee to expose the binding, which may be construed as culturally insensitive or offensive given the significance of the Koran. i. How the detainee reacted, observation by other detainees, and other potentially relevant observations will be annotated appropriately on the block significant activities sheet as well as staff journal.
4. Handling. a. Clean gloves will be put on in full view of the detainees prior to handling. b. Two hands will be used at all times when handling the Koran in manner signaling respect and reverence. Care should be used so that the right hand is the primary one used to manipulate any part of the Koran due to the cultural association with the left hand. Handle the Koran as if it were a fragile piece of delicate art. c. Ensure that the Koran is not placed in offensive areas such as the floor, near the toilet or sink, near the feet, or dirty/wet areas.
5. Removal. a. Korans should be left in the cell as a general rule (save in MSU), even when a detainee is moved to another cell or block. In principal, every cell (except MSU) will have a Koran assigned to it. b. If a Koran must be removed at the direction the CJDOG, the detainee library personnel or Chaplain will be contacted to retrieve and properly store the Koran in the detainee library. The request for the librarian/Chaplain, as well as the retrieval itself, will be logged appropriately. c. If the Chaplain, librarian, or Muslim interpreter, within the needs of the situation, cannot remove the Koran, then the MP may remove the Koran after approved by the DOC (who notes this in the MP Blotter) IAW the following procedures: 1) Clean gloves will be put on in full view of the detainees prior to handling
JTF-GTMO-JDOG-CO SUBJECT: Camp Delta Interim SOP Modification: Inspecting/Handling Detainee Korans Standard Operating Procedure (SOP)
2) Two hands will be used at all times when handling the Koran in manner signaling respect and reverence.
3) Place a clean, dry, detainee towel on the detainee bed and then place the Koran on top of the clean towel in a manner, which allows it to be wrapped without turning the Koran over at any time in a reverent manner. Ensure that the Koran is not placed in offensive areas such as the floor, near the toilet or sink, near the feet, or dirty/wet area when doing this activity. d. How the detainee reacted, observation by other detainees, and other potentially relevant observations will be annotated appropriately on the block significant activities sheet as well as staff journal. e. The Koran shall be returned to the librarian, Chaplain, or DOC (in that order). f. Exception: Detainee in MSU may have a Koran if specifically authorized by a 508-1 or the Level 5 Block Entitlement Form. Once detainee leaves MSU, the same handling/removing policies and procedures remain in effect.
6. Korans are the property of the U.S. Government and as such will remain in the cells only to be removed at the JDOG Commanders decision. 7. For further information or clarification, please contact the JDOG DOC @ 3239.
(3 Page Format)
No Similar Rules for Christian Bible-Michael Savage.
Red Cross Told US of Koran Incidents
By Cam Simpson and Mark Silva
The Chicago Tribune,Thursday 19 May 2005
Washington - The International Committee of the Red Cross documented what it called credible information about US personnel disrespecting or mishandling Korans at the Guantanamo Bay detention facility and pointed it out to the Pentagon in confidential reports during 2002 and early 2003, an ICRC spokesman said Wednesday.
Representatives of the ICRC, who have played a key role in investigating abuse allegations at the facility in Cuba and other US military prisons, never witnessed such incidents firsthand during on-site visits, said Simon Schorno, an ICRC spokesman in Washington.
But ICRC delegates, who have been granted access to the secretive camp since January 2002, gathered and corroborated enough similar, independent reports from detainees to raise the issue multiple times with Guantanamo commanders and with Pentagon officials, Schorno said in an interview Wednesday.
Following the ICRC's reports, the Defense Department command in Guantanamo issued almost three pages of detailed, written guidelines for treatment of Korans. Schorno said ICRC representatives did not receive any other complaints or document similar incidents following the issuance of the guidelines on Jan. 19, 2003.
The American people should be informed that merely handling the Koran could constitute desecration in the eyes of the Islamic zealot
In regard to Newsweek's apology for its false Koran-in-the-toilet story, Gary Bauer, president of American Values, has commented, "I wonder if anyone at Newsweek recalled that it was the U.S. Government that supplied Korans to the Muslim prisoners in the first place?" The same question applies to the Post. Bauer notes that the U.S. military gives the prisoners access to their holy book while the terrorists cut peoples' heads off. But guess who gets most of the media criticism?
At the moment we have a war on and the funny little foreign people who wear bedsheets have to be kept pacified insofar as is possible. Wait until after the war to move further on this problem.
step 1: place the koran on the ground
step 2: spray it with some cheap petrol
step 3: torch it.
step 4: the end.
To be fair, I doubt that there would be any need for guidelines about handling the Bible because America's enemies don't carry them.
"Sorry, we're not sure what to do with then so we can't let you have them. We wouldn't want to piss off Allah or anything."
You beat me by two posts ;-)
I like that idea!!!
That will really help us and our soldiers around the world.
When handling the Koran, the following SOP is to be observed:
1. Grasp Koran in right hand;
2. Hold "willy" with left hand;
3. Urinate onto Koran until bladder is empty.
All possible care is to be taken so that urine stream does not splash onto the right hand.
Oh boy. Who's got that "I don't care" picture from last night???
I dont think so. Christians know it isnt the Bible that is the important item its the message inside.
Why great consideration is given to their comic-book, I dont know, but it is an abomination (the act of treating it respectfully).
Exceeded only by the stupidity in handing them out to begin with.
Exceeded only by the stupidity in handing them out to begin with.
I need to start complaining now. Loudly and clearly. Before it gets any worse,
If I can just figure out whom to complain o...
But how many more Koran's will be destroyed when blown up inside mosques attacked by Muslim terrorists?
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.