Skip to comments.Soldier home for holidays died saving lives in Bronx inferno
Posted on 12/30/2017 4:06:04 AM PST by McGruff
An Army solider died in the Bronx inferno Thursday night while heroically rushing in and out of the apartment building to save several other lives, his grieving dad told The Post.
Thats his nature, said Kwabena Mensah, 62, whose son Emmanuel died when the Belmont building went up in flames.
He was trying to help people out from the fire, and unfortunately he lost his life. He tried to do his best.
(Excerpt) Read more at nypost.com ...
So very sad. RIP, soldier!
Emmanuel 28 Hero! God must need him in heaven. The building was a death trap. Prayers for his family.
Was it? A kid started the fire and they didn’t close the apt. door when they fled the building.
The building was old and did not have sprinkler systems or interior steel construction. Death trap. Sprinklers save lives....even if they do cause lots of water damage. Just one look at the outside of the building was enough for me!
I read the building was also missing smoke alarms.
There appears to be a lot of guilt to go around.
God bless this hero and comfort his family.
He had come from Ghana, decided to join our army and died a hero...even though from Ghana, he was all American in heart!
Very sad. Awesome example. The Soldier’s Medal was created for such acts of heroism not involving actual combat.
I always think about closing the door when my apartment is on fire. /s
It’s a tragic story all around, but trying to blame the mother not to close the door is not where to be. Maybe a great place to lay blame is the fact that Mom was not monitoring her children. This got out of control in 3 minutes.
He was well named. Emmanuel means “God with us”.
Soldier’s Medal, I was thinking the same thing.
Very well deserved. He'll get it. I hope his family is compensated from our Government. They deserve something for raising such a fine American.
I mourn our loss.
The baby mamma of the unsupervised 3 year old who had a habit of "playing with the stove" should be brought up on manslaughter charges.
Oh, man. Stories like this bring tears to my eyes. The purest definition of courage.
” Greater love hath no man than this; that he lay down his life for his friends”.
This is sad, he was a brave man. I hope he rests in peace.
“I always think about closing the door when my apartment is on fire”
It’s actually very important. and I remember seeing something at Instapundit (I think) about the fire safety value in sleeping with the bedroom door closed. But I have cats so I don’t feel comfortable doing that.
Is he wearing a green beret? Was he in special forces?
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.