Skip to comments.Rally in New Haven calls for fair wages for incarcerated workers
Posted on 08/26/2018 2:56:35 AM PDT by Libloather
NEW HAVEN Ending modern day slavery in prisons in the United States was one of the demands made at a rally Saturday in New Haven where about 70 people gathered for speeches and a march in support of a nationwide prison strike for reforms, including more than below minimum wage pay and rehabilitation services.
No justice, no peace, the crowd chanted in unison, some holding signs, led by Jamarr Jabari of the Party for Socialism and Liberation, New Haven. Its time for us to start treating people as human beings, not just for profit, he said.
Were fighting for them to have a better chance, a better choice, Jabari told the people who gathered for the rally.
In support of a nationwide prison strike, the Connecticut Green Party, the Party for Socialism and Liberation of New Haven and others gathered at Superior Court, Juvenile Matters, gave speeches and marched to the New Haven Correctional Center around the corner, where they stood chanting for a short time.
(Excerpt) Read more at m.chron.com ...
Quite frankly, they lucky to be working at all in prison....but yeah, busting rocks daily for free would work too to pay back their debt to society......
So pay them $10 per hour.
Charge them $9.75 per hour for room and board.
If they don’t work, feed them aclu loaf.
Why should criminals in jail be paid? They shouldn't, unless 95% of the paycheck goes towards their victims (or the victim's family). The other 5% goes towards the TAXPAYERS who gets stuck with paying for these CRIMINALS in jail. No Criminal PAYCHECKS!!! Never!
the Connecticut Green Party, the Party for Socialism and Liberation of New Haven, NUFF SED! the dope from park slope deblasio in NY have plans to build borough jails which includes a shopping mall.
I wonder if these little nitwits ever stop to consider that we *want* prison to be uncomfortable because we want to provide an incentive to avoid going back?
Also, we are too generous. Other countries make prisoners or their families pay for everything. If the prisoners are to get “living” wage, they should pay their own room and board.
This will be moot. If prisoners get a “living wage”, they will soon all be unemployed.
Wasting a weekend on this idiocy is proof of no useful life.
Members of international Answr there?
This is a bad idea on so many levels.
Since prison work seldom make a profit, where would the wages come from - Taxpayers? What next? 401k retirement plans?
Crazy ideas like this get put into place because of collusion between the “protestors”, the unions, and politicians,
It is a way to transfer wealth from taxpayers into the pockets of the union and create a slush fund for politicians.
How about, mentioning this to the guy in jail, who's there because he burglarized my house?
I’m good with paying “fair” wages to incarcerated workers, and making them use all their proceeds to pay for their incarceration. They would still be in debt to the state upon any release, but at least it wouldn’t be “slave” labor.
I guess that would be ok. As long as the price to incarcerate them is deducted from their pay.
We need to bring back convict labor. Put them to use clearing canals, constructing earthworks, and other labor intensive tasks instead of working out and watching sports on a flatscreen in the common area.
That’s the latest thing from the left: prison is slavery.
Of course, blacks commit 5 time more crime for their percentage of the population than whites, so more are in prison. The left thinks blacks should be allowed to commit their crimes against whites as reparations.
The message is really very simple If you don’t want to work for those low wages, don’t commit a crime. Duh.
Free room and board, free education, free medical and dental, free HBO, free wardrobe, free hair stylists, free counseling, free phone, free laundry, free internet but they want them to have fair wages. Did their victims get anything fair from them?
> This will be moot. If prisoners get a living wage, they will soon all be unemployed.
Companies hiring prison labor at slave wages in lieu of paying free Americans is something all conservatives should be outraged about.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.