Skip to comments.Meltdown: AOC's Fact-Challenged Explosion Over Pelosi's Cave on Border Crisis Bill
Posted on 06/28/2019 10:42:36 AM PDT by Kaslin
As you read last evening, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi abandoned her foolish fight over the border crisis relief bill, "reluctantly" agreeing to approve the Senate's bipartisan legislation. House Democrats had been playing games over President Trump's (New York Times-endorsed) $4.5 billion supplemental budget request for humanitarian aid and logistical support at the Souther border, stripping it out of previous legislation before finally passing a partisan and landmine-filled version of their own earlier this week. The upper chamber, meanwhile, hammered out a reasonable compromise, which was supported by the president. Mitch McConnell put the House-passed bill on the floor for an up-or-down vote, and it fell by a wide margin. A subsequent vote on the bipartisan Senate bill succeeded, 84-8. With the writing on the wall, Pelosi faced a public insurrection from her more moderate members, was jammed into to calling an abrupt recess under smart tactical pressure from the GOP, and ultimately backed down. None of this sat well with New York freshman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, who uncorked a furious tweet storm, packed with ignorant, misleading, and false statements:
Under no circumstances should the House vote for a McConnell-only bill w/ no negotiation with Democrats. Hell no.
That’s an abdication of power we should refuse to accept. They will keep hurting kids if we do.— Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (@AOC) June 27, 2019
His Senate bill is a militarization bill. McConnell killed the House Bill & dropped this one right before recess to force passage.
Well, too bad. This is our job. Cancel vacation, fly the Senate in. Pass a clean humanitarian bill & stop trying to squeeze crises for more pain.— Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (@AOC) June 27, 2019
(1) This "McConnell only" bill was co-written by Richard Shelby (R-AL) and Pat Leahy (D-VT). It won 84 percent of Senators' votes.
(2) The "no negotiation with Democrats" is patently false, as evidenced by Leahy's co-sponsorship and explicit endorsement, as well as the support of more than half of the Senate Democratic caucus -- including Chuck Schumer.
(3) McConnell "killed" the House bill by bringing it up for a vote. It failed to attract even 40 Senators' support. And guess who voted against that very same House bill? That's right: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.
(4) As for "hurting kids," AOC is on the record opposing all proposed legislative solutions to the border crisis. She voted against each bill put forward -- and as I just mentioned, was one of just four Democrats (along with her radical pals Omar and Tlaib) to break with Pelosi on the House bill whose Senate demise she's now cynically lamenting. She has encouraged boycotts and collective action against a private company fulfilling a government contractor's order to provide more beds to children she claims to want to help. Relatedly, she'd absolutely fume and fulminate over images of those same kids sleeping on floors, having agitated against beds for them. Will she also rail against the food service providers feeding these children? After all, they're also "complicit" under her twisted rationale.
(5) Would Ms. Ocasio-Cortez care to offer a workable solution under which the US government treats these children humanely, while also (a) respecting existing legal requirements regarding the detainment of unlawful immigrants, (b) allowing for proper vetting of adult asylum seekers (without separating real and claimed families), and (c) not actively encouraging more illegal entries? I'll wait. Meanwhile, she also quadrupled down on her "concentration camps" smear and supporting lies, defying rebukes from Holocaust historians and survivors. It's almost as if she's a reckless blowhard. I'll leave you with this:
A senior democratic aide: “Schumer threw all of House Democrats under the bus and he will pay a heavy price for that.”
This is in reference to the large senate dem vote total on the border bill. It forced pelosis hand.— Jake Sherman (@JakeSherman) June 27, 2019
AOC looks and acts like a lunatic. The people who elected her should be in psychiatric wards with her.
Democrats just “say stuff”.
They want it to sound good. They don’t expect anyone to question them.
The accurate insults she’s been bombarded with for months will take its toll.
This clown is exactly why the Constitution was written the way it was.
I don’t think the Founders could even have imagined an AOC.
These are the people who have captured key places of power in CA, OR, WA, NV, AZ and CO.
They are moving east and nothing is going to stop them unless The People realize what is really going on.
They are not going to get this information from the MSM, Faux News or the GOP-e.
I’m not sure how we are going to educate normal voters.
Speaker AOC is not amused...................
15,000 people in New York weren’t too lazy to go vote and that’s why she is in Congress. Some city council elections have more turnout. Just so everyone knows who is to blame.
The same idiots elected deBlasion, and would have elected Carlos Danger if he had been able to control himself.
*Includes concrete floors, locks, in-door porta-potties, and razor wire.
The batsh*t crazy left will say absolutely anything because half the country is totally mentally retarded.
Maybe Maduro could use another henchman ? Can she ride a motorbike ?
Maybe not. And John Adams argued that a legislature "should be an exact portrait, in miniature, of the people at large, as it should think, feel, reason, and act like them."
You could probably make a good case that solons like AOC are indeed "an exact portrait, in miniature" of all Democrats.
To: E. Pluribus Unum
The Jihad Four will denounce Pelozi in 3.2.1...
3 posted on 6/27/2019, 5:32:53 PM by TigersEye (This is the age of the death of reason.)
NY originally had all these weird primary dates because they wanted to depress turnout and hope only union/machine voters would come out. The problem is those voters don’t exist any more and now the only people who care enough to turn out on random Tuesday’s are progressive activists. It’s how AOC won and how Tiffany Caban just won that Queens DA race. Queens, especially the part AOC represents, is ground zero for progressive insanity in America right now. She’s sadly not going anywhere.
He - none of them - would ever have imagined such a loss of common sense as to allow this cretin to rise to the top; or that people would actually vote for such.
We’ve fallen very far.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.