Skip to comments.
Israeli military and intelligence assessments see Turkey as growing threat
| Seth Frantzman
Posted on 08/23/2020 6:17:26 AM PDT by Roman_War_Criminal
While Israelis have been celebrating the new potential ties with the United Arab Emirates, the Turkish ruling party is angling across the Mediterranean in Istanbul to become a much larger challenge to the Jewish state in the coming years.
Ankaras current regime under President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has been increasingly hostile to Israel for the last decade, comparing the country to Nazi Germany and vowing to liberate Al-Aqsa mosque in Jerusalem. Now reports indicate that intelligence and military assessments in Israel see Ankara as a challenge and threat.
A recent article in The Times noted that Mossad head Yossi Cohen has been talking secretly with fellow spooks in the Gulf states for years. While he has discussed the Iran threat, another threat is looming, the article noted.
There was one encounter about 20 months ago when he let slip another agenda: Iranian power is fragile, he reportedly told spymasters from Egypt, Saudi Arabia and the Emirates, but the real threat is from Turkey.
(Excerpt) Read more at jpost.com ...
TOPICS: Egypt; Foreign Affairs; Government; Israel; News/Current Events; Russia; Syria; War on Terror
KEYWORDS: abrahamaccords; cyprus; djibouti; egypt; emmanuelmacron; erdogan; eritrea; europeanunion; france; gaza; greece; hamas; hassannasrallah; hezbollah; iran; iraq; isis; israel; jerusalem; jordan; kurdistan; lebanon; letshavejerusalem; libya; macron; middleeast; mohammedbinzayed; nato; qasemsoleimani; qudsforce; receptayyiperdogan; russia; saudiarabia; sinai; sudan; syria; turkey; uae; unitedarabemirates; waronterror; yemen; yossicohen
Erdogan dreams of restoring the Islamic Ottoman empire. Jews and Christians are not part of the equation. Arabs are to be subservient. Illusions die hard. It is a real misfortune for the Turkish people and the region that the work and legacy of Ataturk has been dismantled. Yet throughout history such misfortunes are so common that it is the rule rather than the exception. Just societies are fragile. Americais are beginning to realize just how fragile they are.
posted on 08/23/2020 6:27:17 AM PDT
he let slip another agenda
BS, if he actually said any such thing it was NOT a slip.
he "reportedly" told spymasters
So probably never even happened.
posted on 08/23/2020 6:30:03 AM PDT
by ASA Vet
(Make American Intelligence Great Again. Bring back ASA.)
If Israel does a preemptive attack on Turkey, would the NATO treaty obligate the US to go to war against Israel?
posted on 08/23/2020 6:31:04 AM PDT
("Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." -- Voltaire)
Let’s hope dumbass decides he can take Israel. We can get rid of Erdogan once and for all.
posted on 08/23/2020 6:31:21 AM PDT
(Cannon Hinnant #SayHisName)
Exactly right. Every time we kill off another emperor want to be, another pops up. Like Iran, Turkey is having currency problems.
posted on 08/23/2020 6:32:58 AM PDT
("Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition!")
Turkey was one of the few exceptions of an Islamic state with modest liberty. Ataturk achieved that goal by separating Mosque and State. Erdogan is a fervent believer and changed all that. Dictatorship and foreign interventions were all but inevitable afterward.
posted on 08/23/2020 6:48:04 AM PDT
(If the left is not screaming, you are doing it wrong!)
Getting ready for Ezekiel’s war?
It is as plain as your eyelash that the Turkish leader wants to revive The Ottoman Empire!!
NATO? No gdmf way!!
To: Terry L Smith
“It is as plain as your eyelash that the Turkish leader wants to revive The Ottoman Empire!!”
So? Let them knock themselves out trying.
Keeps Muslims occupied on beating up each other.
Turkey is a prime example of why Muslim governments cannot be trusted in any peace arrangements
posted on 08/23/2020 7:32:56 AM PDT
(Politicians are not born, they are excreted. Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 to 43 BCE))
To: AdmSmith; AnonymousConservative; Arthur Wildfire! March; Berosus; Bockscar; cardinal4; ColdOne; ...
Erdogan dreams big. Erdogan confuses dreams with reality. Alas, whatever follows Erdogan will be worse than Erdogan, in the main because he's crushed anything that would be better.
- History will not forgive UAE's betrayal of Palestinians, Turkey says 
- Report: Turkey granting citizenship to senior Hamas operatives 
- Watch: Pro-Palestinian BLM Rallies in U.S. Call for 'Death to Israel, Death to America' 
- Iran Turns George Floyd Into a Shi'ite Muslim Saint 
- Egypt announces international anti-Turkey alliance 
- Erdogan says Turkey 'won't allow' Israel to annex parts of West Bank 
- Haftar warns Erdogan: Stay out of Libya or you face our bullets
- Turkey to suspend research in waters disputed with Greece
- Turkey signs military cooperation agreement with Libya's neighbor: Russian think tank [Niger] 
- EU crisis: Showdown with Turkey sparks military fears as Erdogan mocks Macron's threats 
- 'Dangerous adventure': Turkey warns Egypt over Libya invasion [07/23/2020]
- Iran, Turkey, and Venezuela's Super Facilitator: Who Is Alex Saab? 
- Turkish Casualties, Air Defense Systems Destroyed in Haftar Airstrike on Al-Watiya Airbase [07/05/2020]
- Possible Egyptian 'direct' intervention in Libya becomes legitimate: President Sisi [06/23/2020]
- Libya: A Catastrophe for Russia's Pantsir S1 Air Defense System [06/22/2020 ]
- Greece Dismisses Reports Turkey Occupied Border Strip 
- Hundreds more Russian mercenaries flee western Libya: GNA forces [05/26/2020]
- Greece: 11 arrests, arms seized in Turkey-linked terror raid 
- Report: Greece Sends 50 Naval Vessels To Guard Border After Turkey Opens Gates 
- What's behind Haftar's refusal to sign Libya deal? [01/16/2020]
- Turkish-backed mercenaries in Libya increase to more than 1,250 after the arrival of more than 250 fighters. 2,000 more prepare to move [01/14/2020]
- Russians Fighting in Libya Do Not Represent the State, Putin Says [01/11/2020]
- Turkey's Erdogan says Egypt's actions in Libya are 'illegal' [07/21/2020]
- Blow to Erdogan as US boots Turkey out of F-35 strike fighter program 
- Greece Vetoes NATO Statement On Support For Turkey - Reports 
- Turkey won't yield to 'pirates' in eastern Med: Erdogan 
- Turkey Will Retaliate if Greece Attacks Vessel in East Med: Erdogan 
- Turkey claims it is under "blockade" in Mediterranean standoff 
- Tension high between Turkey, Greece in eastern Mediterranean 
- Turkey to suspend research in waters disputed with Greece 
- War Between Greece and Turkey Is Now a Real Possibility 
- Greece warns Turkey that they are ready for war 
- Greece Dismisses Reports Turkey Occupied Border Strip 
- TRT [Turkish state media] broadcasting Hillary Clinton used encrypted messaging sys [Bylock] to communicate with Deep State [Gülen Movement] 
- "Islam Is Right About Women" signs causing woke, multicultural, inclusive, COEXISTing, feminazis' heads to explode!(8 min video) 
posted on 08/23/2020 9:24:55 AM PDT
(Imagine an imaginary menagerie manager imagining managing an imaginary menagerie.)
To: dennisw; Cachelot; Nix 2; veronica; Catspaw; knighthawk; Alouette; Optimist; weikel; Lent; GregB; ..
Middle East and terrorism, occasional political and Jewish issues Ping List. High Volume If youd like to be on or off, please FR mail me.
posted on 08/24/2020 6:47:03 AM PDT
(wondered...what 10 Commandments would have looked like if Moses had run them through..Congress, RR)
Methinks the answer would be yes.
Got to get Turkey out of NATO.
posted on 08/24/2020 8:19:30 AM PDT
by M Kehoe
(DRAIN THE SWAMP! Finish THE WALL!)
Well, Turkey will be a part of the Gog-Magog War, so yeah, they are definitely a “growing” threat.
posted on 08/24/2020 4:18:16 PM PDT
("Righteousness exalteth a nation; but sin is a reproach to any people." Proverbs 14:34)
Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual
posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its
management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the
exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson