Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Singer gets respectful reception ("[I]t is sometimes appropriate to kill a human infant")
Associated Press via The Boston Globe's Boston.com ^ | 10/5/2001 17:46 | Harry R. Weber

Posted on 10/05/2001 4:49:55 PM PDT by SlickWillard

Edited on 04/13/2004 2:06:53 AM PDT by Jim Robinson. [history]

CONCORD, N.H. (AP) Bioethicist Peter Singer got a respectful reception Friday as he told advocates for the disabled it is morally acceptable to kill severely disabled newborns.

The Governor's Commission on Disability was harshly criticized for inviting Singer to Friday's conference because of that stance, first enunciated in a 1979 book.

(Excerpt) Read more at boston.com ...

TOPICS: Culture/Society; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-80 ... 121-139 next last

1 posted on 10/05/2001 4:49:56 PM PDT by SlickWillard
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: JMJ333
If Muslims hate Western Civ so much, why couldn't they have targeted Peter Singer, instead of 6,000 innocent people who worked in the World Trade Center?
2 posted on 10/05/2001 4:51:42 PM PDT by SlickWillard
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: SlickWillard
I'd be a hypocrite if I disagreed, because I feel it's sometimes okay to kill bioethicists.
3 posted on 10/05/2001 4:55:49 PM PDT by Senator Pardek

Comment #4 Removed by Moderator

Shaheen's spokeswoman Pamela Walsh said the governor doesn't support Singer's views, but believes he had a right to express them. She said the commission wanted a chance to confront Singer.

I'm sure that she would take the same position about a member of the Ku Klux Klan having the right to speak about killing blacks and Jews.

When monkeys fly out of my butt.

5 posted on 10/05/2001 5:20:41 PM PDT by Bubba_Leroy

Can someone send Singers address to the Taliban and Osama Bin Laden....
6 posted on 10/05/2001 5:24:38 PM PDT by artios
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: My Cat
my definition of deformed and yours may be different.
7 posted on 10/05/2001 5:25:58 PM PDT by sweet_diane
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

Comment #8 Removed by Moderator

Comment #9 Removed by Moderator

To: My Cat Benighted Rowdee pro-life_list
Of what use is a severly deformed infant except as a drain on resources.

DRAIN on RESOURCES? Is that how you view your kids? *shakes head*

10 posted on 10/05/2001 5:39:44 PM PDT by Cool Guy

Peter singer an honest ethicist with the will to tell the truth. Of what use is a severly deformed infant except as a drain on resources.

Let us hear from you when you have one. Ever hear of "idiot savant"? You might want to read a book called "Angel Unaware" by the late Dale Evans about their Down's Syndrom daughter.

11 posted on 10/05/2001 5:40:56 PM PDT by tinlady

Shaheen's spokeswoman Pamela Walsh said the governor doesn't support Singer's views, but believes he had a right to express them.

I eagerly await the state's invitation for Ward Connerly.

12 posted on 10/05/2001 5:41:21 PM PDT by denydenydeny

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men.
To say any person falls short in some way of this and is unequal to yourself is to destroy the protection of your own rights that you currently enjoy. Deny the principle of the Declaration, and one day you might find yourself on the other side of the argument, with debate over your right to live.
13 posted on 10/05/2001 5:45:37 PM PDT by Gelato
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

How many of the 1.4 million killings sanctioned at present per year are of severely disabled children and how would YOU define severely disabled?
14 posted on 10/05/2001 5:47:22 PM PDT by MHGinTN

Peter singer an honest ethicist with the will to tell the truth. Of what use is a severly deformed infant except as a drain on resources.

What use??? Try a source of grace to parents who love them, you cold-hearted creep.

What gives you and bioethicists the right to determine the value of another human being? Who the hell do you think you are?

15 posted on 10/05/2001 5:48:46 PM PDT by JMJ333

Comment #16 Removed by Moderator

Singer acknowledged the controversy over his appearance and the underlying issue of free speech by quoting Voltaire: ''I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.''

Singer must be one of the peaceful and tolerant Muslims.

17 posted on 10/05/2001 5:54:07 PM PDT by Aquinasfan

Comment #18 Removed by Moderator

Bioethicist Peter Singer got a respectful reception Friday as he told advocates for the disabled it is morally acceptable to kill severely disabled newborns.

Don't you love these guys who are always pushing for the "death" of other human beings? They make me sick to my stomach. Too bad it isn't "morally acceptable" to kill Peter Singer as an adult. We could cite his propensity for violence and his total lack of mercy on those who can't defend themselves.

19 posted on 10/05/2001 5:55:51 PM PDT by JMJ333
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

You sicken me.
20 posted on 10/05/2001 5:56:34 PM PDT by JMJ333
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-80 ... 121-139 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson