Skip to comments.The Terri Schiavo Information page
Posted on 02/25/2005 10:28:40 AM PST by Hildy
click here to read article
Awesome post. I learned a lot from this, which isn't something I can say about the media coverage. Thanks!
Yep, that's my belief.
Bookmarking this thread.
It'll be needed SOON.
Right now it's getting lost in the avalanche of news.
What if she really did tell her husband that she would never want to live like this? I take no sides on the issue as I am sure I do not know all the facts and the entire situation is just tragic. But I know my husband and I have discussed things of this nature over the years, as well as how we wanted to be buried and the like. Spouses DO have conversations like that. What if she really did say it? What if living this way is a nightmare for her? There is no way to know, which is what makes it so impossible. I know if I were in her position, I would want my family to let me go.
STATE OF FLORIDA
COUNTY OF PINELLAS
BEFORE ME the undersigned authority personally appeared CARLA SAUER IYER, R.N., who being first duly sworn, deposes and says:
1. My name is Carla Sauer Iyer. I am over the age of eighteen and make this statement of my own personal knowledge.
2. I am a registered nurse in the State of Florida, having been licensed continuously in Florida from 1997 to the present. Prior to that I was a Licensed Practical Nurse for about four years.
3. I was employed at Palm Garden of Largo Convalescent Center in Largo, Florida from April of 1995 to July 1996, while Terri Schiavo was a patient there.
4. It was clear to me at Palm Gardens that all decisions regarding Terri Schiavo were made by Michael Schiavo, with no allowance made for any discussion, debate or normal professional judgment. My initial training there consisted solely of the instruction Do what Michael Schiavo tells you or you will be terminated. This struck me as extremely odd.
5. I was very disturbed by the decision making protocol, as no allowance whatsoever was made for professional responsibility. The atmosphere throughout the facility was dominated by Mr. Schiavos intimidation. Everyone there, with the exception of several people who seemed to be close to Michael, was intimidated by him. Michael Schiavo always had an overbearing attitude, yelling numerous times such things as This is my order and youre going to follow it. He is very large and uses menacing body language, such as standing too close to you, getting right in your face and practically shouting.
6. To the best of my recollection, rehabilitation had been ordered for Terri, but I never saw any being done or had any reason at all to believe that there was ever any rehab of Terri done at Palm Gardens while I was there. I became concerned because nothing was being done for Terri at all, no antibiotics, no tests, no range of motion therapy, no stimulation, no nothing. Michael said again and again that Terri should NOT get any rehab, that there should be no range of motion whatsoever, or anything else. I and a CNA named Roxy would give Terri range of motion anyway. One time I put a wash cloth in Terris hand to keep her fingers from curling together, and Michael saw it and made me take it out, saying that was therapy.
7. Terris medical condition was systematically distorted and misrepresented. When I worked with her, she was alert and oriented. Terri spoke on a regular basis while in my presence, saying such things as mommy, and help me. Help me was, in fact, one of her most frequent utterances. I heard her say it hundreds of times. Terri would try to say the word pain when she was in discomfort, but it came out more like pay. She didnt say the n sound very well. During her menses she would indicate her discomfort by saying pay and moving her arms toward her lower abdominal area. Other ways that she would indicate that she was in pain included pursing her lips, grimacing, thrashing in bed, curling her toes or moving her legs around. She would let you know when she had a bowel movement by flipping up the covers and pulling on her diaper.
8. When I came into her room and said Hi, Terri, she would always recognize my voice and her name, and would turn her head all the way toward me, saying Haaaiiiii sort of, as she did. I recognized this as a hi, which is very close to what it sounded like, the whole sound being only a second or two long. When I told her humorous stories about my life or something I read in the paper, Terri would chuckle, sometimes more a giggle or laugh. She would move her whole body, upper and lower. Her legs would sometimes be off the bed, and need to be repositioned. I made numerous entries into the nursing notes in her chart, stating verbatim what she said and her various behaviors, but by my next on-duty shift, the notes would be deleted from her chart. Every time I made a positive entry about any responsiveness of Terris, someone would remove it after my shift ended. Michael always demanded to see her chart as soon as he arrived, and would take it in her room with him. I documented Terris rehab potential well, writing whole pages about Terris responsiveness, but they would always be deleted by the next time I saw her chart. The reason I wrote so much was that everybody else seemed to be afraid to make positive entries for fear of their jobs, but I felt very strongly that a nurses job was to accurately record everything we see and hear that bears on a patients condition and their family. I upheld the Nurses Practice Act, and if it cost me my job, I was willing to accept that.
9. Throughout my time at Palm Gardens, Michael Schiavo was focused on Terris death. Michael would say When is she going to die?, Has she died yet? and When is that bitch gonna die? These statements were common knowledge at Palm Gardens, as he would make them casually in passing, without regard even for who he was talking to, as long as it was a staff member. Other statements which I recall him making include Cant you do anything to accelerate her death - wont she ever die? When she wouldnt die, Michael would be furious. Michael was also adamant that the family should not be given information. He made numerous statements such as Make sure the parents arent contacted. I recorded Michaels statements word for word in Terris chart, but these entries were also deleted after the end of my shift. Standing orders were that the family wasnt to be contacted, in fact, there was a large sign in the front of her chart that said under no circumstances was her family to be called, call Michael immediately, but I would call them, anyway, because I thought they should know about their daughter.
10. Any time Terri would be sick, like with a UTI or fluid buildup in her lungs, colds, pneumonia, Michael would be visibly excited, thrilled even, hoping that she would die. He would call me, as I was the nurse supervisor on the floor, and ask for every little detail about her temperature, blood pressure, etc., and would call back frequently asking if she was dead yet. He would blurt out Im going to be rich!, and would talk about all the things he would buy when Terri died, which included a new car, a new boat, and going to Europe, among other things.
11. When Michael visited Terri, he always came alone and always had the door closed and locked while he was with Terri. He would typically be there about twenty minutes or so. When he left Terri would would be trembling, crying hysterically, and would be very pale and have cold sweats. It looked to me like Terri was having a hypoglycemic reaction, so Id check her blood sugar. The glucometer reading would be so low it was below the range where it would register an actual number reading. I would put dextrose in Terris mouth to counteract it. This happened about five times on my shift as I recall. Normally Terris blood sugar levels were very stable due to the uniformity of her diet through tube feeding. It is my belief that Michael injected Terri with Regular insulin, which is very fast acting.
12. The longer I was employed at Palm Gardens the more concerned I became about patient care, both relating to Terri Schiavo, for the reasons Ive said, and other patients, too. There was an LPN named Carolyn Adams, known as Andy Adams who was a particular concern. An unusual number of patients seemed to die on her shift, but she was completely unconcerned, making statements such as They are old - let them die. I couldnt believe her attitude or the fact that it didnt seem to attract any attention. She made many comments about Terri being a waste of money, that she should die. She said it was costing Michael a lot of money to keep her alive, and that he complained about it constantly (I heard him complain about it all the time, too.) Both Michael and Adams said that she would be worth more to him if she were dead. I ultimately called the police relative to this situation, and was terminated the next day. Other reasons were cited, but I was convinced it was because of my rocking the boat.
13. Ms. Adams was one of the people who did not seem to be intimidated by Michael. In fact, they seemed to be very close, and Adams would do whatever Michael told her. Michael sometimes called Adams at night and spoke at length. I was not able to hear the content of these phone calls, but I knew it was him talking to her because she would tell me afterward and relay orders from him.
14. While at Palm Gardens, I became fearful for my personal safety. This was due to Michaels constant intimidation, including his menacing body language, vocal tone and mannerisms.
15. I have contacted the Schindler family because I just couldnt stand by and let Terri die without the truth being known.
FURTHER AFFIANT SAYETH NAUGHT.
CARLA SAUER IYER, R.N.
The foregoing instrument was acknowledged before me this _____ day of September, 2003, by CARLA SAUER IYER, R.N., who produced her Florida drivers license as identification, and who did / did not take an oath. Notary Public My commission expires: CARLA SAUER IYER, R.N
" I was employed at Palm Garden of Largo Convalescent Center in Largo, Florida from April of 1995 to July 1996, while Terri Schiavo was a patient there."
Cant you do anything to accelerate her death - wont she ever die? When she wouldnt die, Michael would be furious. Michael was also adamant that the family should not be given information. ".....
" I ultimately called the police relative to this situation, and was terminated the next day...." CARLA SAUER IYER, R.N - Affidavit
Ron Panzer's AUDIO interview with Dr. Hammesfahr who performed tests on Terri for 10 hours. Full details about Terri - 90 minutes
Well, here is some of Michael's tortured testomony then. If you want more it can be provided:
IN THE CIRCUIT COURT OF THE SIXTH JUDICIAL CIRCUIT
OF THE STATE OF FLORIDA, IN AND FOR PINELLAS COUNTY
2 CIVIL DIVISION
DATE AND TIME: July 27, 1992; 9:05 a.m. CASE NO. 92-939CI-
p.99 Michael Schiavo Deposition Medical Malpractice Pt 4
24 Q Now, what -- when you saw her, do you know
25 what time it was? ___
p.103 of MS Depo Med Mal Pt 4
1 A I believe it was almost five a.m..
2 Q When you saw her, how was she lying; in other
3 words, on her back or --
4 A On her back.
5 Q Did she make any sound at all before she fell
6 that you heard?
Excerpts of Michael Schiavo's July 27, 1992 Deposition
CIRCUIT COURT OF THE SIXTH JUDICIAL CIRCUIT
STATE OF FLORIDA IN AND FOR PINELLAS COUNTY
CASE NO. 90-2908-GD3 January 24, 2000
BEFORE: GEORGE W. GREER Circuit Court Judge
PLACE: Clearwater Courthouse
Clearwater, FL 33756
Q Michael, tell me what occurred on
11 February 25, 1990.
12 A I got home late from work that night. I
13 came in the house. Terri woke up. She heard me.
14 I gave her a kiss good night. She gave me a kiss
15 good night. A few hours later, I was getting out
16 of bed for some reason and I heard this thud. So
17 I ran out into the hall and I found Terri on the
18 floor. I knelt down next to her and I turned her
19 over because she sort of fell on her face. On her
20 stomach and face.
21 I turned her over going, "Terri, Terri.
Feb 25, 1990 Police Report
St Petersburg Police Department
WRITER RESPONDED TO THE ABOVE ADDRESS IN REFERENCE TO
PARAMEDICS NEEDING ASSISTANCE ON A MEDICAL EMERGENCY.
UPON ARRIVAL, WRITER SPOKE WITH FIREFIGHTER/PARAMEDIC J. RADJESKI. HE STATED HE RESPONDED TO THE ADDRESS FOR A
MEDICAL EMERGENCY. THEY FOUND A SUBJECT IN QUESTION
(THERESA) LYING FACE DOWN AND UNCONSCIOUS HALFWAY
IN AND HALFWAY OUT OF A BATHROOM.
Great article. Thanks!
Larry King Show - 2003
Lie detector test?
Following 45 minutes of a they-said, he-said discussion, in which Schiavo repeatedly accused the Schindlers of lying, King opened the show to callers who asked tougher questions than King.
One caller asked if Schiavo was willing to take a lie detector test. Schiavo responded, "I'll refrain from answering that right now."
Good to "see" you.
Yes, it is. Thanks for the ping!
Matt is one of the very few people out there who has reported this thing objectively.
Reading the links he provides to court decisions and guardian ad litem reports is extremely helpful in separating fact from fiction.
Good to "see" you too, girl! : )
Thanks for posting this. Good to have some objective facts for a change.
Liar. According to neurologist William Hammesfahr, who examined her:
Terri's 1996 brain scan shows 75% normal brain tissue; not scar tissue. It is not all fluid. That report is bogus. Her cortex is not missing; not at all. Some areas are thinned, probably due to hydrocephalus, with the fluid pushing against her brain. She is functioning. That is what is important. I have seen people a lot worse than her, and they are talking. A brain scan taken two years ago showed improvement.
One Dr. says it and everyone else is wrong.
By Cheryl Ford RN
February 25, 2005
Last night at hospice Terri's father, Robert Schindler and Attorney Gibbs visited with Terri. Mr. Schindler was the first to enter Terri's room, approaching Terri on her right. As always, Terri was delighted to see her Dad until Mr. Schindler announced that Mr. Gibbs was with him.
Mr. Gibbs moved closer to Terri's left greeting her with, "Hello Terri."
Terri, hearing Mr. Gibb's deep voice immediately turned to her left to look at him. Terri's Dad stated that once she eyed Mr. Gibbs that was the end of his visit with her because she was no longer interested in anything he had to say to her..."she was goo-goo eyes over Attorney Gibbs."
Mr. Schindler then exclaimed, "Terri, Terri, look at me. I've come here to see you as well and now you cannot take your eyes off of Attorney Gibbs, what am I chopped liver?" Terri responded with laughter to her father's comment but her eyes remained focused on Mr. Gibbs.
Bob said,"Well, Cheryl that's the last time I will be taking Mr. Gibbs along with me since my daughter did not hear anything I had to say once he had her attention."
No one's a "liar". You can still have 75% of *brain tissue* when only a small amount of your *cerebral cortex* remains.
Read every quote Hammesfher makes very carefully... he got creamed on the witness stand.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.