Skip to comments.VH1's 25 Greatest Power Ballads
Posted on 01/12/2006 11:42:13 AM PST by pissant
25. Close My Eyes Forever-- Lita Ford
24. When It's Love-- Van Halen
23. It's Been Awhile-- Staind
22. Still Loving You-- Scorpions
21. Silent Lucidity-- Queensryche
20. Love Song-- Tesla
19. Only God Knows Why-- Kid Rock
18. Don't Know What You Got (Till It's Gone)-- Cinderella
17. These Dreams-- Heart
16. How You Remind Me-- Nickelback
15. I Remember You-- Skid Row
14. Keep On Loving You-- REO Speedwagon
13. Again-- Lenny Kravitz
12. Home Sweet Home-- Mötley Crüe
11. Nothing Else Matters-- Metallica
10. Is This Love-- Whitesnake
9. Sister Christian-- Night Ranger
8. Love Bites-- Def Leppard
7. Every Rose Has Its Thorn-- Poison
6. November Rain-- Guns N' Roses
5. I'll Be There For You-- Bon Jovi
4. With Arms Wide Open-- Creed
3. Beth-- Kiss
2. I Don't Want To Miss a Thing-- Aerosmith
1. Open Arms-- Journey
Launchcast Radio has a "Hair Flair" channel that gives me my fix of hair bands. They also have a "Power Ballad" channel as well. Glad to see I am not the only FReeper that listens to '80's Hair Metal.
1. Every Rose Has It's Thorn - Poison
2. Home Sweet Home - Motley Crue
3. Alone Again - Dokken
4. Nothing Else Matters - Metallica
5. Wind of Change - Scorpions
6. Don't Close Your Eyes - Kix
7. Love is On The Way - Saigon Kick
8. Without You - Motley Crue
9. Wasted Time - Skid Row (forgotten gem!)
10. Love of a Lifetime - Firehouse
Oh, now Layla has got to be top 5 material.
Can't believe "Love of a Lifetime" (Firehouse) didn't make the list!
Post 1990 was the start of all the "alternative" nonsense.
I see Tesla made it but would have picked "Changes" over "Love Song"
I can play that on the piano, or at least I USED to be able to...
Did you have a power rockin mullet in your youth?
"Silent Lucidity" is on the list!
"Bringin on the Heartbreak"...forgot about that one.
Add in the clothes and the combined 20-30 pounds of hair on that cover and it's complete chaos, I tellsya! :o)
From the list above I would go with:
1) Home Sweet Home-- Mötley Crüe (of course)
2) I Remember You-- Skid Row
...and although I'm not a big Queensryche fan I'd put "Silent Lucidity" at number 3
Although "Beth" is a good song by KISS (the B-Side to "Detroit Rock City"), I would argue that "Forever" is probably a better known power ballad by KISS. I will also argue that one of the power ballad groups that got alot of airplay in my college days was the hairband rockers Warrant. They had a slew of hits in the late 1980's, and to be a hairband getting radio exposure, you had to be a power ballad group.
D'oh! *smacks noggin* It is, isn't it?
Good tune, but I thought Stryper was always weaker in their ballads than the hard stuff, they really shined with the straight-up headbanging rockers like "The Way" and "To Hell With The Devil."
LOL. I think they are thinking that power ballads mean heavy metal/hard rock bands taking a stab at slow, dirge like love songs.
You're not...check out my profile page, I list lots of them. I also like the harder 80s metal like Slayer, too, but usually listen to the big hair stuff!
LOL! Absolutely! Not nearly as widely known as "I Remember You" or "18 And Life".
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.