Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Gold Can Form in a Geological Instant
Creation-Evolution Headlines ^ | October 15, 2006 | Staff

Posted on 10/16/2006 7:52:00 AM PDT by DaveLoneRanger

You can’t say something is old just because it looks old, like gold.  Gold may be a symbol of timelessness and purity – and as an element, it makes an apt symbol – but precious metal deposits have a history in the crust of the Earth.  A surprise announcement in Science1 Oct. 13 by New Zealand geologists showed that large gold deposits can form from volcanoes in just thousands of years – not millions.  Christoph Heinrich [U of Zurich] commented on this paper in the same issue of Science2 and asked, “How fast does gold trickle out of volcanoes?”  The answer depends dramatically on the conditions.

Although the authors of the paper came up with an estimate of 55,000 years for a large gold deposit in Papua New Guinea, a closer reading of the two papers shows that there are many variables and uncertainties.  There is no reason to rule out the idea that under proper conditions, large gold deposits could form very rapidly – in centuries or less.  Consider these qualifiers and admissions in the two papers.  First, the original paper by Simmons and Brown:

But while the 55,000-years figure makes a nice sound bite, Christoph Heinrich speculates that the actual process could have occurred drastically faster and taken orders of magnitude less time.  Notice carefully bullet 5:

1Simmons and Brown, “Gold in Magmatic Hydrothermal Solutions and the Rapid Formation of a Giant Ore Deposit,” Science, 13 October 2006: Vol. 314. no. 5797, pp. 288-291, DOI: 10.1126/science.1132866.
2Christoph A. Heinrich, “GEOCHEMISTRY: How Fast Does Gold Trickle Out of Volcanoes?”, Science, 13 October 2006: Vol. 314. no. 5797, pp. 263-264, DOI: 10.1126/science.1134456.
Centuries—or within the span of one human lifetime—not millions of years could have been all the time needed to form massive gold deposits.  This is rapid geology with a vengeance.  All that’s necessary are the right conditions, and it’s gold, gold, GOLD!  Imagine James Marshall watching an event like that near Sutter’s Mill.

Remember, Simmons and Brown measured 15 ppb of gold in the brine, but there is a theoretical upper limit of 10,000 ppb, and Heinrich thinks that what we are seeing today could be the tail-end trickle of a “spectacular” event.  He claims this volcanic dome collapse was half a million years ago, but what does he know?  Just a little while ago, these guys thought gold deposits required millions of years.  No human observer was there, but one thing is clear from this report: big things can happen much faster than uniformitarian scientists thought possible.
    Don’t miss that last bullet by Heinrich.  Some conditions can also cause “all isotopic clocks to reset themselves continually.”  Remember that when you hear scientists proclaim confident-souding dates in the millions and billions of years. 

They don’t know, and the rocks aren’t telling.
    Conditions before, during and after a worldwide flood would have been extremely non-uniform.  With the fountains of the great deep bursting from many parts of the world, and volcanic activity occurring on unprecedented scales, it’s possible to envision huge upwellings of hot metal-saturated brine rising up at rates never seen before or since.  If that’s how some of these deposits formed, then perhaps God brought some extra blessing out of the devastation of the flood.  For the weary descendents of Noah trying to eke out an existence on a cursed planet, he provided a novel form of recreation: the treasure hunt.

TOPICS: Science
KEYWORDS: crevo; crevolist; geology; gold
You know, I hate to be so picky, but the writer missed an N in "confident-sounding."
1 posted on 10/16/2006 7:52:00 AM PDT by DaveLoneRanger
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: gobucks; mikeus_maximus; MeanWestTexan; JudyB1938; isaiah55version11_0; Elsie; LiteKeeper; ...

You have been pinged because of your interest regarding news, debates and editorials pertaining to the Creation vs. Evolution - from the young-earth Creationist perspective.
Freep-mail me if you want on/off this list:
Add me / Remove me

Everyone be nice, or I shall put a small mountain of toenail clippings in your jams and jellies.
2 posted on 10/16/2006 7:53:13 AM PDT by DaveLoneRanger (Lord, help me to be the Christian conservative that liberals fear I am.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: DaveLoneRanger
Both non-creationists and creationists seem to negate God in some areas of their apologetics.

Admittedly, I've never considered what volcanic action could do besides blow it's top, make an island and resurface the land .. but it does stand to reason that something we get out of the ground, could either still be in the ground or could be 'created' again.

I've wrestled with the thought that the Earth is finite and, though I haven't concluded to myself what might be factual .. I do lean on the side that if God made it once, HE can make it again, or open our eyes to another site or source.

3 posted on 10/16/2006 8:17:19 AM PDT by knarf (Islamists kill each other ... News wall-to-wall, 24/7 .. don't touch that dial.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: knarf

How do you figure creationism negates God?

4 posted on 10/16/2006 8:21:18 AM PDT by DaveLoneRanger (Lord, help me to be the Christian conservative that liberals fear I am.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

Oh good! Only off by a factor of 10!

Oh noes! Reading the actual article I found this: "They lie in the middle of a breached crater that formed in response to sector collapse and unroofing of the volcanic edifice 400,000 years ago."

So now we're looking at 450,000 years ago for the dawn of creation. Back to the drawing board!

5 posted on 10/16/2006 8:29:11 AM PDT by ahayes (On the internet no one can hear you scream.)

I probably said that wrong.
What I mean is, I believe God created the universe, all matter .. everything.
And I believe HE did it in 6 literal, 24 hr days.
And I've never seen the apologetic that says, if HE can do it once, HE can do it over and over .. thereby making the elements of Earth infinite rather than finite, as the evolutionist would want to propose and argue.
6 posted on 10/16/2006 8:35:39 AM PDT by knarf (Islamists kill each other ... News wall-to-wall, 24/7 .. don't touch that dial.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

Gold doesn't "form" on Earth. It was there all along; it just 'emerged'. Gold forms in supernovae, like all heavy elements.

--Boris

7 posted on 10/16/2006 11:22:44 AM PDT by boris (The deadliest weapon of mass destruction in history is a leftist with a word processor.)

If the jam is toe jam, the nail clippings are expected.

8 posted on 10/16/2006 7:59:22 PM PDT by SunkenCiv (Dhimmicrati delenda est! https://secure.freerepublic.com/donate/)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: SunkenCiv

*GROOOAAAN*

9 posted on 10/17/2006 8:29:34 AM PDT by DaveLoneRanger (Lord, help me to be the Christian conservative that liberals fear I am.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

:') Hey, just doin' my job. ;')

10 posted on 10/17/2006 11:08:33 AM PDT by SunkenCiv (Dhimmicrati delenda est! https://secure.freerepublic.com/donate/)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

To: boris
"Gold forms in supernovae, like all heavy elements.

How do you know? Are you certain that's the only way gold forms? Granted, I don't expect to find gold forming from any natural process on earth, because I would expect some form of radioactive emission from the fusion required, assuming fusion is required. But our understanding of the universe is far form complete. We're just now developing potential unifying theories like string theories, much less testing them and understanding what multiple dimensions could mean. Particle physics has a long way to go yet.

Are you so certain that supernova's are the only way that gold forms?

11 posted on 10/17/2006 3:17:48 PM PDT by DannyTN
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

To: DannyTN; boris
Boris is simply trying to suppress further work in the field of transubstantiation, acting upon his blind prejudice against alchemists.

It's all so tragic, and all so easily preventable with a little aromatherapy and Feng-shui.

Yes, I'm series. And quit calling my Shirley!

12 posted on 10/17/2006 10:14:51 PM PDT by Hoplite
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

A few more: At the current gold flux of 24 kilograms per year...

So how do they know the rate was constant for 55,000 years?

The combination of sustained [how do they know?] metal flux and efficient [ibid] metal precipitation led to the formation of a giant hydrothermal gold deposit in a short period

How do thy know it didn't occur much faster?

13 posted on 10/18/2006 2:12:49 PM PDT by 4CJ (Annoy a liberal, honour Christians and our gallant Confederate dead)

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson