Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

FreeRepublic Saddle Club thread! - Thread 12

Posted on 08/07/2007 7:33:14 AM PDT by HairOfTheDog

The FreeRepublic Saddle Club - (very out of date) Who's Who *pics*

This is a horse chat thread where we share ideas, ask for input from other horsemen, and talk about our riding and horse-keeping. We have a lot of different kinds of riders and horses, and a lot to share, usually about our horses, sometimes about our dogs, gardens and other stuff we do. :~)

I have a ping list for horse threads that are of interest, and MissTargets will ping everyone most mornings. Let MissTargets and/or me know if you would like to be on the ping list.

So... like the previous threads, this is intended as fun place to come and share stories, pictures, questions and chit-chat, unguided and unmoderated and that we come together here as friends.

Previous threads:

The FreeRepublic Saddle Club thread - thread ONE
The FreeRepublic Saddle Club thread - Thread TWO!
The FreeRepublic Saddle Club thread - Thread THREE!
The FreeRepublic Saddle Club thread! - Thread FOUR
The FreeRepublic Saddle Club thread! - Thread FIVE
The FreeRepublic Saddle Club thread! - Thread SIX
The FreeRepublic Saddle Club thread! - Thread SEVEN
The FreeRepublic Saddle Club thread! - Thread EIGHT
The FreeRepublic Saddle Club thread! - Thread NINE
The FreeRepublic Saddle Club thread! - Thread TEN
The FreeRepublic Saddle Club thread! - Thread 11

New folk and occasional posters, jump right in and introduce yourselves, tell us about your horses, and post pictures if you've got them!

TOPICS: Pets/Animals
KEYWORDS: saddleclub
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first previous 1-50 ... 9,851-9,9009,901-9,9509,951-10,000 ... 11,401-11,413 next last
To: Duchess47
Thanks for the kind wishes! She's a schmoozer and will worm her way into anybody's heart.

Here she is trying to give me a great big hug . . . sometimes she thinks she's a lap dog.

9,901 posted on 07/28/2008 5:17:30 AM PDT by AnAmericanMother (Ministrix of ye Chase, TTGS Ladies' Auxiliary (recess appointment))
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9891 | View Replies]

To: Tuscaloosa Goldfinch
Hey, I like books! Nothing worse than somebody who posts in one-sentence answers when there's so much more to tell.

Sounds like you've had a productive summer. Glad to hear the new horse is filling out. Sounds like she's just about to get to where she needs to be condition-wise. I like to see just a hint of rib whenever they stretch on out. The pawing thing is just youthful impatience. Tie her for a while every day until she stands quietly and she'll soon quit doing it.

There's a guy I work with who sells photos on some of the sites on the internet. He's been doing it a while, I'll ask him which ones he uses. The picture you sold of the horse looking at the fox sounds really cool! I'd love to see it if you're allowed. Also, I've seen quite a few people do well selling matted prints at some of the arts festivals. I'm sure that'd be a lot of trouble though.

Oh, I saw one of those mulcher things you told me about the other day. It was on the front end of a Bobcat at our St. Jude ride. I imagine they used it to cut some of the trails. Oh what I wouldn't give to have one of those for a day!!

Well, you be careful on you way to Texas. Drop in on us more often, sometimes we DO get tired of hearing our own selves talk. ;o)

9,902 posted on 07/28/2008 5:20:25 AM PDT by FrogInABlender
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9896 | View Replies]

Wow! A Big Red baby! That's pretty cool.

I have heard that Secretariat descendants can have some temperament problems. Have no personal experience but was curious if that was true.

9,903 posted on 07/28/2008 5:27:12 AM PDT by AnAmericanMother (Ministrix of ye Chase, TTGS Ladies' Auxiliary (recess appointment))
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9871 | View Replies]

To: FrogInABlender

There were a lot of horse trailers at the trailhead this time when we got there... we passed that group and one other on the trail.

I haven’t heard anything more about the bridge. It makes it a little wet for walkers and bikers to use this trail without it.

Was good to get out! We’re looking forward to being in good enough shape to hit the little bit longer trail. We’re still curious whether it got logged over winter.

9,904 posted on 07/28/2008 6:14:42 AM PDT by HairOfTheDog
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9898 | View Replies]

To: Wolfstar
If you are ever in Northern Nevada, you're welcome to stop by and see him.

9,905 posted on 07/28/2008 7:06:35 AM PDT by Duchess47 ("One day I will leave this world and dream myself to Reality" Crazy Horse)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9888 | View Replies]

To: HairOfTheDog

Great pictures. I’m glad you guys got a chance to get out and ride.

9,906 posted on 07/28/2008 7:07:31 AM PDT by Duchess47 ("One day I will leave this world and dream myself to Reality" Crazy Horse)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9895 | View Replies]

To: AnAmericanMother

She is a beauty. Dusty was like that, thought she was a lap dog and just knew you wanted to hug on her.

9,907 posted on 07/28/2008 7:09:40 AM PDT by Duchess47 ("One day I will leave this world and dream myself to Reality" Crazy Horse)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9901 | View Replies]

Sonny is a sweetheart but everyone of his foals need major attitude correction - they are born knowing they are in charge and rule the world. And they all can run like the wind. This is Sam, a yearling. He doesn't go anywhere at a walk.

9,908 posted on 07/28/2008 7:13:33 AM PDT by Duchess47 ("One day I will leave this world and dream myself to Reality" Crazy Horse)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9903 | View Replies]

To: Duchess47; FrogInABlender; HairOfTheDog; All

Good morning:)

GREAT PICTURES ALL!!!!

Becky

9,909 posted on 07/28/2008 7:32:15 AM PDT by PayNoAttentionManBehindCurtain
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9908 | View Replies]

To: PayNoAttentionManBehindCurtain

Good morning! How are things there... you’re in town, I presume? Do you eat burgers for lunch every day? I probably would! :~)

9,910 posted on 07/28/2008 7:53:34 AM PDT by HairOfTheDog
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9909 | View Replies]

To: HairOfTheDog

Yes, I’m in town. Jenny and I walked this morning, and I stopped here to do some bookwork, and get my mail. I’ve moved my mail to a PO Box.

LOL...Noooooo, I do not eat burgers every day. In fact I very seldom eat them. Eating them too often 1. upsets my stomach, too much fat I think, and 2. they do get old.

We are under a heat advisory, OZone alert. The TV is saying that we still have not hit the 100 mark yet, but the Bank signs around here say we have.

9,911 posted on 07/28/2008 8:01:16 AM PDT by PayNoAttentionManBehindCurtain
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9910 | View Replies]

more challenging if there’d been a goat (or a hog) in a pen right next to it. That might have washed out too much of the field right off the bat though.

A hog would have put Blade out of the competition, he would have done his A-Rab impersonation again. Tail up, head up and snorting to beat the band.

9,912 posted on 07/28/2008 9:17:51 AM PDT by BladeRider
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9877 | View Replies]

Oh, I haven't seen him. I got new pics of my baby stud FRECKLES. I am putting him on the net. He has white hairs, but still looks sorrel in pics.
9,913 posted on 07/28/2008 9:21:23 AM PDT by HaveFaith
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9885 | View Replies]

To: HaveFaith

Freckles is beautiful, I’m so glad you posted a picture. He’s got muscles all over :)

9,914 posted on 07/28/2008 9:24:50 AM PDT by Duchess47 ("One day I will leave this world and dream myself to Reality" Crazy Horse)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9913 | View Replies]

To: HairOfTheDog; All
Hi all. I finally got a way to post pix. Here are the babies...

Baby born first

Shendeagan, born second

Tornado born last when we had a tornado blow through.

9,915 posted on 07/28/2008 9:31:51 AM PDT by mommadooo3 (Old concept in justice. If the law won't take care of it, it's just us.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9910 | View Replies]

We are under a heat advisory, OZone alert. The TV is saying that we still have not hit the 100 mark yet, but the Bank signs around here say we have.

We have had several 100 degree days and our Ozone alert is on today too. HaveFaith and I rode Saturdy and luckily it had rained earlier that morning so it was cool for the ride. It sure was hot Sudnay when I had to mow though!

9,916 posted on 07/28/2008 9:39:57 AM PDT by BladeRider
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9911 | View Replies]

To: mommadooo3
Shendeagan, born second

That is soo cute!!!!

I love the markings on the first one, red ears and a red V on the forehead.

9,917 posted on 07/28/2008 9:41:55 AM PDT by BladeRider
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9915 | View Replies]

Looks like the tornado made it's mark on him, too. They're pretty!

Are they Quarter Horses. My Freckles is a QH. He's almost 4 months.

9,918 posted on 07/28/2008 10:50:26 AM PDT by HaveFaith

Oh wow! Those are so cute! I love the markings on the white one. It almost looks like he’s got an eagle on his forehead, or a Harley emblem. Either one might be a good name for him/her.

Shendeagan is an interesting name. Sounds Irish. Does it mean anything in particular?

Tornado has a star like HaveFaith’s colt, Freckles.

Thanks for showing them to us!!

9,919 posted on 07/28/2008 10:53:53 AM PDT by FrogInABlender

Very nice. He looks big for a yearling. Do you breed straight QH, too, or is Sam part Ap? Looks all QH. I’m having to sell out of my QH’s. Just have too many. Hate to, but they need to be worked.

9,920 posted on 07/28/2008 11:00:02 AM PDT by HaveFaith

To: BladeRider; FrogInABlender; HairOfTheDog; All
When we got back from riding Sat. and put Faith & Spec (AKA-Trouble) back in the pasture, the funniest thing happened. Daisy came up to Spec and they both REARED full up facing each other and then they bumped chests before they came down. You could hear the thud and I was in up at the house watching them. They looked like football players when they make touchdowns. My mouth was open and Hal was right in front of the pasture and yelled out, “Did you see that?!” I told him yeah, but I'd never seen anything like it before!

Hair: great pictures as always. I love your scenery.

9,921 posted on 07/28/2008 11:07:00 AM PDT by HaveFaith
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9912 | View Replies]

Cool!

I love watching Bob and Goose play like that. It’s usually only when Bob has the muzzle on though, otherwise he’ll bite the snot out of Goose, so Goose takes advantage of it when he can. He’ll get Bob by the muzzle straps and jerk him around. They rear up like that too, then get down on their knees. Bob has the weight advantage though and I’ve seen him knock Goose over flat of his back with a whump. Goose left him alone for a while after that. :-D I think he got the wind knocked out of him. Serves him right, the little booger!

9,922 posted on 07/28/2008 11:23:53 AM PDT by FrogInABlender
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9921 | View Replies]

I thought they were just vying for the #1 spot in the pasture, like she and Soldier do, but they didn’t act mad and just walked off down the pasture. Daisy is almost sweet and stands there and lets you pet and rub her. Weird. I hope that means she’s still pregnant.

9,923 posted on 07/28/2008 11:57:12 AM PDT by HaveFaith
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9922 | View Replies]

Hopefully so. She sure has nice babies. Next time you might want to check into breeding her to SpottedInDixie(over on the TVGPHA forum)’s B&W SSH stud. He’s a pretty one, I think he’s homozygous too, and I know they breed for flatshod gait, not BigLick gait.

9,924 posted on 07/28/2008 12:13:36 PM PDT by FrogInABlender
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9923 | View Replies]

OH - I hope you can stay cool there.

We don’t even have AC in our vehicles... so I’d be outside with the hose running on me.

9,925 posted on 07/28/2008 1:22:11 PM PDT by HairOfTheDog
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9911 | View Replies]

Sam is an appaloosa, his sire Sonny is 1/4 Thoroughbred and his dam, Friday is about 1/3 quarter horse but the rest is appaloosa :)

9,926 posted on 07/28/2008 1:30:15 PM PDT by Duchess47 ("One day I will leave this world and dream myself to Reality" Crazy Horse)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9920 | View Replies]

Beautiful babies :)

9,927 posted on 07/28/2008 1:31:55 PM PDT by Duchess47 ("One day I will leave this world and dream myself to Reality" Crazy Horse)

I have one of those with an attitude issue:

"HEY - who you lookin' at there?"

How is Labrador Land out your way?

9,928 posted on 07/28/2008 3:05:07 PM PDT by AnAmericanMother (Ministrix of ye Chase, TTGS Ladies' Auxiliary (recess appointment))

To: BladeRider

LOL..I need to figure out a real name for the white. Mom’s registered, Mosby A Taz.

9,929 posted on 07/28/2008 3:19:32 PM PDT by mommadooo3 (Old concept in justice. If the law won't take care of it, it's just us.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9917 | View Replies]

Freckles is adorable!

The babies are QH's. Except Shendeagan is 1/2 Rocky Mountain.

9,930 posted on 07/28/2008 3:24:16 PM PDT by mommadooo3 (Old concept in justice. If the law won't take care of it, it's just us.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9918 | View Replies]

Shendeagan is Arabaic, means beautiful star. Daughter Kasee named her, because it’s her horse now.

9,931 posted on 07/28/2008 3:29:06 PM PDT by mommadooo3 (Old concept in justice. If the law won't take care of it, it's just us.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9919 | View Replies]

Labador Land here is great although heat has cut into their exercise time. Two totally different personalities :) Blue is a tongue and tail, Belle is sedate and reserved.

9,932 posted on 07/28/2008 3:33:39 PM PDT by Duchess47 ("One day I will leave this world and dream myself to Reality" Crazy Horse)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9928 | View Replies]

I have two "night and day" personalities -- Shelley is "soft" almost to a fault and anxious to please, but a little standoffish, while Ruby is tough as nails and very high-drive but at the same time devoted and affectionate, almost clingy.

How is Belle doing? I remember she had a health issue but can't remember what it was.

9,933 posted on 07/28/2008 4:32:17 PM PDT by AnAmericanMother (Ministrix of ye Chase, TTGS Ladies' Auxiliary (recess appointment))
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9932 | View Replies]

Belle is doing great (I really like her personality). She was x-rayed as having mild hip dysplasia at 1yr old. Differing opinions on whether she does or doesn’t so she’ll be x-rayed again at two to see for sure.

9,934 posted on 07/28/2008 7:04:43 PM PDT by Duchess47 ("One day I will leave this world and dream myself to Reality" Crazy Horse)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9933 | View Replies]

If you are ever in Northern Nevada, you're welcome to stop by and see him.

I'd be delighted to do so. He has a lovely face. Something in his eye and the way he holds his head reminds me of Secretariat as a stallion. It's the nobility, I think.

9,935 posted on 07/28/2008 8:02:05 PM PDT by Wolfstar ("My 80% friend is not my enemy." Ronald Reagan)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9905 | View Replies]

To: freekitty
Also, wasn’t Ruffian somewhere along the line out of Native Dancer.

Ruffian's dam, whose name was Shennanigans, was sired by Native Dancer.

Native Dancer's most famous son, Raise a Native, was a beautiful chestnut and a brilliant 2-year-old, but he raced only 4 times before breaking down. He was undefeated in those 4 races, and he had very fasionable pedigree. So he was sent to stud and founded a very dominant sire line. His most famous son was Mr. Prospector, the world's top stallion during his lifetime. The world's top stallion prior to Mr. Prospector was Northern Dancer, who was out of a mare sired by Native Dancer.

You're right, though. The sire lines that trace directly to Native Dancer produced very fast horses, but many which were too fragile. Mares from that sire line were improved when bred to stayers like Secretariat and Seattle Slew, among others.

9,936 posted on 07/28/2008 8:15:32 PM PDT by Wolfstar ("My 80% friend is not my enemy." Ronald Reagan)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9892 | View Replies]

Dysplasia under age 2 is often transient.

If she had pain issues or a limp, it may have been something called "panosteitis" or "wandering lameness" which crops up in young Lab puppies and disappears without leaving any problems behind. It seems to be associated with rapid dense bone growth, mostly in the forelegs. Ruby had a touch of it around 9-10 months old.

We're going to have Ruby's hips and elbows Xrayed at age 2 and her eyes checked as well, before we breed her. I also need to send her blood off to U.Minn. to have her checked to see if she's carrying the gene for Exercise Induced Collapse. I tell you, responsible breeding is a lot of work!

9,937 posted on 07/28/2008 8:32:22 PM PDT by AnAmericanMother (Ministrix of ye Chase, TTGS Ladies' Auxiliary (recess appointment))
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9934 | View Replies]

Thank you :) He's got the heart. We got him at age 14 and asked him to run endurance. He took to it like he'd been doing it his entire life and really did well, always in the top ten, always finishing and aced his vet checks. He'd still be going if we hadn't lost his rider to divorce.
9,938 posted on 07/28/2008 8:49:47 PM PDT by Duchess47 ("One day I will leave this world and dream myself to Reality" Crazy Horse)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9935 | View Replies]

We are hoping that Belle’s is transient also, we’ll see.

9,939 posted on 07/28/2008 8:51:29 PM PDT by Duchess47 ("One day I will leave this world and dream myself to Reality" Crazy Horse)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9937 | View Replies]

To: FrogInABlender; HairOfTheDog; All

So - today is one week into Lace’s training. The same Lace who through a major temper tantrum last week. Today, she walks, trots and canters with a rider, with ease :) Bob took pictures with his cell phone, I’ll be darned if I can get them sent to my email so I can download them though.

9,940 posted on 07/28/2008 8:54:26 PM PDT by Duchess47 ("One day I will leave this world and dream myself to Reality" Crazy Horse)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9939 | View Replies]

Here's a photo (on a DVD cover) of Secretariat as a stallion at stud. I think you'll see what I mean that there are echoes of him in your boy's head, especially the expression in their eyes and the set of their heads.

9,941 posted on 07/28/2008 9:36:46 PM PDT by Wolfstar ("My 80% friend is not my enemy." Ronald Reagan)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9938 | View Replies]

Thank you so much for that picture. I had not seen that one before.

9,942 posted on 07/28/2008 9:41:37 PM PDT by Duchess47 ("One day I will leave this world and dream myself to Reality" Crazy Horse)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9941 | View Replies]

This is nice. I remember atleast reading about all of those horses at one time or another.

9,943 posted on 07/28/2008 11:32:14 PM PDT by freekitty (Give me back my conservative vote.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9936 | View Replies]

If you don’t mind my joining the conversation; I know pano. My shiloh line had it from their sire’s side. The entire litter had it their first year; but all got over it. I took my male, their half brother(same sire in)to look at him. I told the vet I could swear it was pano because it was in the line and that’s what it was. I ended up hip testing him and he showed me the pano. You will usually see pano in the first year of healthy pups; but it goes away. Because of the abuse my male had rec’d through starvation his showed up at age 3; but I have never seen it since.

9,944 posted on 07/28/2008 11:39:11 PM PDT by freekitty (Give me back my conservative vote.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9937 | View Replies]

To: freekitty; dutchess
Good, somebody who has more than one data point!

We were just guessing, have no idea if pano is in Ruby's background or not. It could have been an injury (you know how those crazy Lab pups jump around, and she could easily have twisted something) but the lameness moved from one foreleg to the other and then back again, then it went away. It seemed to be slightly painful (but not enough to keep her from jumping around like an idiot - just enough to make her limp, and whine when you pressed on the bone).

But it went away, and hasn't come back. Which is a good thing.

9,945 posted on 07/29/2008 5:05:54 AM PDT by AnAmericanMother (Ministrix of ye Chase, TTGS Ladies' Auxiliary (recess appointment))
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9944 | View Replies]

Sorry, that last post was for you! Don’t know what I was thinking - I guess about Holland, or something!

9,946 posted on 07/29/2008 5:06:59 AM PDT by AnAmericanMother (Ministrix of ye Chase, TTGS Ladies' Auxiliary (recess appointment))
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9945 | View Replies]

If she's a reasonably smart horse, she probably figured out that all the temper tantrum did was wear her out, and didn't change a thing!

It's great to have such a steady trainer, hang on to him! I aspire to that kind of patience, don't always succeed. But nothing convinces 'em faster that it's No Use Complaining.

9,947 posted on 07/29/2008 5:08:45 AM PDT by AnAmericanMother (Ministrix of ye Chase, TTGS Ladies' Auxiliary (recess appointment))
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9940 | View Replies]

Sounds like she’s making the right choices now. Good to hear, I hope you get some pictures soon!

9,948 posted on 07/29/2008 6:29:23 AM PDT by HairOfTheDog
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9940 | View Replies]

Sure sounds like pano. Pano is not genetic. LOL, the hard part is keeping her still.

9,949 posted on 07/29/2008 7:46:25 AM PDT by freekitty (Give me back my conservative vote.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9945 | View Replies]

To: freekitty
I thought pano tended to run in families.

At least I read that somewhere, I thought.

But it's hard to pin down when you tell the doc, "Well, she was lame YESTERDAY in this leg, but it seems to be all right now . . . " We went through a lot of that, and me trotting her up and down the hall at the vet.

We could not keep her still!

9,950 posted on 07/29/2008 9:44:50 AM PDT by AnAmericanMother (Ministrix of ye Chase, TTGS Ladies' Auxiliary (recess appointment))
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9949 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first previous 1-50 ... 9,851-9,9009,901-9,9509,951-10,000 ... 11,401-11,413 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson