Skip to comments.Word For The Day, Thursday, Rocktober 13, 2011 - nihilism
Posted on 10/13/2011 4:06:31 AM PDT by secret garden
In order that we might all raise the level of discourse and expand our language abilities, here is the daily post of "Word for the Day".
ni·hil·ism [nahy-uh-liz-uhm, nee-] noun
1. total rejection of established laws and institutions.
2. anarchy, terrorism, or other revolutionary activity.
3. total and absolute destructiveness, especially toward the world at large and including oneself: the power-mad nihilism that marked Hitler's last years.
a. an extreme form of skepticism: the denial of all real existence or the possibility of an objective basis for truth.
b. nothingness or nonexistence.
5. ( sometimes initial capital letter ) the principles of a Russian revolutionary group, active in the latter half of the 19th century, holding that existing social and political institutions must be destroyed in order to clear the way for a new state of society and employing extreme measures, including terrorism and assassination.
6. annihilation of the self, or the individual consciousness, especially as an aspect of mystical experience.
Occupy (your city here) is nothing more than an exercise in nihilism by slacker progressives.
181020; Latin nihil nothing (variant of nihilum; see nil) + -ism
The sentence must, in some way, relate to the news of the day. The Review threads are linked for your edification. ;-)
Practice makes perfect.....post on....
Review Thread One: Word For The Day, Thursday 11/14/02: Raffish (Be SURE to check out posts #92 and #111 on this thread!)
Review Thread Two: Word For The Day, Tuesday 1/14/03: Roister
Review Thread Three: Word For The Day, Tuesday 1/28/03: Obdurate
WFB's attempt to emulate us ; ) No pushing at the door please!
Rise and shine!
wasn’t he frasier’s brother?
The most leftward lefties choose nihilism
Free-market destruction, no capitalism
Just take from the rich
And give to the poor
But under their system
No one’s rich any more
A+ for you!
the occupyers seek nihilism
while practicing anarchism
obama just smiled
his reaction was mild
from the CIC of narcissism.
And the related concept of NeHilism — a philosophy characterised by a fondness for grape soda.
A for you!
The class is on fi-ya! A for you too.
The Wall Street Protesters think that their nihilism is something unique to their generation. However, the nihilistic anarchist was a stock character in most 19th century Russian Novels.
Today’s Threat is a HOOT! Thank you for posting the WFTD!
History is a series of good stories with great characters, isn’t it? A for you!
I was going to ask where you have been - is the job keeping you busy?
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.