Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

The Brilliance of the Dog Mind
Scientific American ^ | February 5, 2013 | Gareth Cook

Posted on 02/07/2013 8:02:45 PM PST by Altariel

Just about every dog owner is convinced their dog is a genius. For a long time, scientists did not take their pronouncements particularly seriously, but new research suggests that canines are indeed quite bright, and in some ways unique. Brian Hare, an associate professor in the Department of Evolutionary Anthropology and the Center for Cognitive Neuroscience at Duke University, is one of the leading figures in the quest to understand what dogs know. The founder of the Duke Canine Cognition Center, Hare has now written a book, “The Genius of Dogs,” with his wife, the journalist Vanessa Woods. Hare answered questions from Mind Matters editor Gareth Cook.

(Excerpt) Read more at scientificamerican.com ...

TOPICS: Miscellaneous; Pets/Animals
KEYWORDS: dog; doggieping; dogs; poodle
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-5051-100101-118 next last

1 posted on 02/07/2013 8:02:54 PM PST by Altariel
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: Joe 6-pack; Salamander

My dog is (well, was) smarter than YOURS Doggie Ping!

2 posted on 02/07/2013 8:06:11 PM PST by Altariel ("Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!")
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Altariel

I have long believed in the wisdom of the noble Basset Hound. (as there is no such thing as in ignoble Basset Hound...)

When you step on your ears, your junk drags in the dirt and your every utterance looks like a painful experience, God must have given you a lot of smarts to compensate ;)

3 posted on 02/07/2013 8:10:23 PM PST by Norm Lenhart

I have two dachshunds and they are not Mensa material.

4 posted on 02/07/2013 8:12:09 PM PST by Lurkina.n.Learnin (Superciliousness is the essence of Obama)

Respect mah authoritah.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
5 posted on 02/07/2013 8:12:09 PM PST by cripplecreek (REMEMBER THE RIVER RAISIN!)

To: AnAmericanMother; Titan Magroyne; Badeye; SandRat; arbooz; potlatch; afraidfortherepublic; ...
WOOOF!

Computer Hope

The Doggie Ping list is for FReepers who would like to be notified of threads relating to all things canid. If you would like to join the Doggie Ping Pack (or be unleashed from it), FReemail me.

6 posted on 02/07/2013 8:15:59 PM PST by Joe 6-pack (Qui me amat, amat et canem meum.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: cripplecreek

We are rank with coyotes at present here. They are the toughest animal to trap or snare; more leery and better nose than even bobcats.

I have a friend who has mastered calling and has shot about 70 so far this year, of which about a dozen had good pelts.

They are the crazy bikers of the dog world...

7 posted on 02/07/2013 8:19:07 PM PST by One Name (Ultimately, the TRUTH is a razor's edge and no man can sit astride it.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: Lurkina.n.Learnin

Neither is this guy. (Dog and a stick and a door)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=TMQ3aj8rSqE&feature=fvwp

8 posted on 02/07/2013 8:24:35 PM PST by 21twelve ("We've got the guns, and we got the numbers" adapted and revised from Jim M.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

To: One Name

“crazy bikers of the dog world”

I never looked at it that way...but it’s the truth!!

9 posted on 02/07/2013 8:27:09 PM PST by berdie
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

Our Bichon Frise is a great dog EXCEPT you have to keep him out of the cat’s litter box. He thinks its a lunch wagon. Yuckkkkkk!!

10 posted on 02/07/2013 8:27:09 PM PST by ProtectOurFreedom

To: berdie

Ya I think they do shots before they set out on an evening of fun...

11 posted on 02/07/2013 8:29:38 PM PST by One Name (Ultimately, the TRUTH is a razor's edge and no man can sit astride it.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

IT ARE A FACT

I KNOW BECAUSE OF MY LEARNINGS

12 posted on 02/07/2013 8:40:49 PM PST by martin_fierro (< |:)~)

My Shepherd is not the brightest bulb. Oh, she’s bright in a few things, but clueless about sounds, smells - things dogs should be paying attention to. Mostly she uses her eyes even with obvious sounds!

My last GS, though - THAT dog was brilliant. And everything else good a dog could be.

13 posted on 02/07/2013 8:52:04 PM PST by the OlLine Rebel (Common sense is an uncommon virtue./Technological progress cannot be legislated.)

My sister in law wanted to adopt a cat from the local shelter. My wife and I tagged along. Long story short, the wife and I came home with a Lab-Doberman-Grayhound mongrel puppy, our 1st dog. We named him “Caesar”.

Piece of Cake. Learned his name by day 2. House trained by day 7. As the months went by, he learned our names, the names of specific toys, the names of the 2 cats and could process simple sentences, such as “Get the rope Toy and take it to Debbie.”

He understood gestures, such as pointing, to direct his attention.

Mind you, I never had a dog before, so I thought this was typical.

We loved that dog for 13 years, and after the passed, it took several year before I could consider
Having another dog.

24 months ago, my wife came home with two rescue dogs, pit-bull mix sisters.

They are as dumb as a box of rocks.

14 posted on 02/07/2013 8:55:40 PM PST by Rebel_Ace (Tags?!? Tags?!? We don' neeeed no stinkin' Tags!)

To: berdie; Altariel
Crazy biker

Smart dog w/coyote.

The trifecta.

15 posted on 02/07/2013 8:55:40 PM PST by Salamander (We're all kinds of animals comin' round here...occasional demons, too.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

To: Rebel_Ace
I had two dogs that were scary smart, Trixie who was pure mutt and Shasta who was a pure bred Doberman.

The rest ranged from trainable to "do not leave out in rain".

All of them however were good natured dogs, even the two that we were told were "mean".

16 posted on 02/07/2013 9:05:43 PM PST by Harmless Teddy Bear (Promotional Fee Paid for by "Ouchies" The Sharp, Prickly Toy You Bathe With!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

When Odin was 3 months old, he learned to sit, down, give paw/give other paw in 15 minutes including memorizing the hand signals for each, as well.

Don’t even need to give verbal commands.

The hand signals then morphed into such sutble, nearly invisible motions that it freaks people out because they think he’s reading my mind.

:)

17 posted on 02/07/2013 9:06:30 PM PST by Salamander (We're all kinds of animals comin' round here...occasional demons, too.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

To: Harmless Teddy Bear

“do not leave out in rain”.

LOL

18 posted on 02/07/2013 9:08:52 PM PST by Salamander (We're all kinds of animals comin' round here...occasional demons, too.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

To: Lurkina.n.Learnin
I have two dachshunds and they are not Mensa material.

Maybe they should join a new club I'm starting for my dachshund. I'm going to call it "Densa".

19 posted on 02/07/2013 9:13:16 PM PST by DeFault User
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

To: Salamander

Absolutely a hat trick!!!

20 posted on 02/07/2013 9:14:03 PM PST by berdie
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

Had a 3/4 wolf 1/4 Shepard mix. Our games were complex. Every now and then I’d “cheat.” She’d just sit and glare at me until I “uncheated.” But she’d do the same thing, and I’d glare until she tucked tail and “uncheated.” Was actually part of the rules. BTW not all wolf mixes are mean - she was VERY tolerant of ear and tail tugging by friends’ kids. And not all are skittish. Only time she was scary mean was when a bad dog threatened me. Bad move. If not for me calling my wolf off, that dog would have been DEAD.

I’m convinced that a lot of this was a result of all the time I spent with her. That dog was as smart as a 6 to 7 year old. Easily.

I miss her.

21 posted on 02/07/2013 9:17:13 PM PST by piytar (The predator-class is furious that their prey are shooting back.)

To: berdie

It must be my night for synchronicity...I used to go with a guy who was the lead guitar for a band named Hat Trick.

;D

22 posted on 02/07/2013 9:17:35 PM PST by Salamander (We're all kinds of animals comin' round here...occasional demons, too.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 20 | View Replies]

A Dog ‘’Says wow, you take me in ,give shelter and feed me , you must be a god’’. A cat say’s “You take me in, give me shelter and feed me, I must be a god’’.

23 posted on 02/07/2013 9:17:50 PM PST by jmacusa (Political correctness is cultural Marxism. I'm not a Marxist.)

To: ProtectOurFreedom

My son used to love those. When he was about 8 years old, he called them a “bitchin’ frizzy”. He thought it was a pretty cool name. :=) We tried to correct him to no avail.

24 posted on 02/07/2013 9:17:50 PM PST by Bob
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

To: DeFault User

LOL, they will fit right in.

25 posted on 02/07/2013 9:21:37 PM PST by Lurkina.n.Learnin (Superciliousness is the essence of Obama)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 19 | View Replies]

My guy, now gone, when he started losing his hearing, learned without much prompting subtle hand signals.

26 posted on 02/07/2013 9:22:29 PM PST by Revolting cat! (Bad things are wrong! Ice cream is delicious!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 17 | View Replies]

To: piytar

A friend of mine had a wolf pack.

When her bitch had pups, she took the human kids into the den she’d dug in the backyard, too.

When the little boy would crawl out and climb on top of the den mound, the bitch would go and fetch him back.
[he suffered that but drew the line at her attempts to make him nurse]

The neighbors called child services on the woman but after they came out, they were totally amazed and on board with it all.

They told the nosy neighbor to shut up.

She never spent a second worrying where her kids were or if they were okay.

Her kids were literally raised by wolves and they’re really great adults now.

27 posted on 02/07/2013 9:23:19 PM PST by Salamander (We're all kinds of animals comin' round here...occasional demons, too.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 21 | View Replies]

To: jmacusa

Dogs have owners, cats have staff.

28 posted on 02/07/2013 9:23:35 PM PST by dfwgator
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 23 | View Replies]

To: Harmless Teddy Bear; Salamander

Caesar, and now Sasha and Ruby, all “good natured” friendly dogs.

But just as with people, there is a wide range when it comes to cognitive abilities of our canine companions.

29 posted on 02/07/2013 9:24:32 PM PST by Rebel_Ace (Tags?!? Tags?!? We don' neeeed no stinkin' Tags!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

To: FReepers; Patriots; FRiends

Dogs are gentle too!

BUMP for MORE New Monthly Donors!

30 posted on 02/07/2013 9:26:10 PM PST by onyx (FREE REPUBLIC IS HERE TO STAY! DONATE MONTHLY! IF YOU WANT ON SARAH PALIN''S PING LIST, LET ME KNOW)

To: dfwgator

LOL!

31 posted on 02/07/2013 9:26:28 PM PST by jmacusa (Political correctness is cultural Marxism. I'm not a Marxist.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 28 | View Replies]

Long ago, in my other life I was very structured. I had a cock-a-poo that was scary smart.

So one morning I overslept and was rushing around like an idiot thinking I could get to work on time and got the routine “out of order”.

Making the bed was the last of my worries...but there the cockpoo was..pulling the sheets up and trying her best to tuck them under the pillows with her paws.

True story. Poor girl would have a hard time in my current no structured environment.

32 posted on 02/07/2013 9:27:00 PM PST by berdie

Long ago, in my other life I was very structured. I had a cock-a-poo that was scary smart.

So one morning I overslept and was rushing around like an idiot thinking I could get to work on time and got the routine “out of order”.

Making the bed was the last of my worries...but there the cockpoo was..pulling the sheets up and trying her best to tuck them under the pillows with her paws.

True story. Poor girl would have a hard time in my current no structured environment.

33 posted on 02/07/2013 9:27:18 PM PST by berdie

To: Revolting cat!

That is excellent.

I train with simultaneous hand signals from the get-go...just in case.

34 posted on 02/07/2013 9:27:18 PM PST by Salamander (We're all kinds of animals comin' round here...occasional demons, too.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 26 | View Replies]

To: 2nd amendment mama

Ping—I think you will enjoy this thread.

35 posted on 02/07/2013 9:37:40 PM PST by basil (basil)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 34 | View Replies]

Knew it was your post when I saw the pic. We lost our male Belgian Tervuren “Larsen” last fall to gastric torsion at only age 6. In December we got a male tri-colored rough collie. He seems really smart and is learning everything much faster than previous dogs. We have spiral stairs to the downstairs which has a doggie door into an external dog house and another doggie door to the fenced area in the back yard (about 1/4 acre fenced). He (Rocky) learned the spiral stairs and the doggie doors in two days at only about 12 weeks old and has been totally house trained since he learned to go outside by himself. I will post pics soon.

36 posted on 02/07/2013 9:52:10 PM PST by MtnClimber (I did not vote for 0bama, someone else did that!)

Sort of.

My Ibizan Hounds are the most “untrainable” dogs I’ve ever had...however, if I were stranded in the wilderness with no food, they’re the dogs I’d want with me.

They run down, kill and return food to their owner because it is their nature.

They are brilliant at it, especially in a pack.

The Dobermann is the exact opposite.

He does have a high prey drive but lacks the speed of the Ibizans since his ‘prey’ was intended to be relatively slow humans rather than gazelles.

Which one is “smarter”?

Neither.

“Dog intelligence” is an artificial construct centered around the dog’s ability to follow arbitrary commands given by people rather than rating them on their nascent ability to perform the tasks for which they were created.

They are equally brilliant at the tasks for which they were bred and born.

Odin is a bit special because the Ibizans ‘raised’ him.

He understands how to hunt with their pack and has mastered the ‘unusual’ kill technique of Sight Hounds.

Instead of coming up under the throat like most dogs do, he comes down from above, in order to instantly snap a neck as they do.

The upside to that is not ever worrying much if another dog ever tries to attack him.

If some dog ducks to low to go for his throat, he’s just going to feel happy that they so cheerfully offered him the back of their neck.

[it looks scary but that is also how they all play-fight together]

Dogs are obviously capable of natural adaptive behavior far beyond what they were ‘bred for’.

All dogs are miracles.

Consider the simple fact that they have managed to learn a *lot* of our words [in unlimited languages, no less] yet we have yet to truly learn a single one of theirs.

:)

37 posted on 02/07/2013 10:04:51 PM PST by Salamander (We're all kinds of animals comin' round here...occasional demons, too.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 29 | View Replies]

To: MtnClimber

Feeding a grain-free diet greatly reduces the risk of torsion or bloat.

My guys all eat grain-free.

A good test is the ‘soak test’.

Take your dry food and add an equal amount of water to it and let it sit for a couple hours.

If the level of food in the bowl does not rise beyond its original level, it is good.

If it puffs up or becomes blobs of mush, toss it out.

Carbs ferment.

Soy and corn are the worst offenders.

38 posted on 02/07/2013 10:09:52 PM PST by Salamander (We're all kinds of animals comin' round here...occasional demons, too.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 36 | View Replies]

To: piytar

dogs, cats and rabbits have average intelligence levels of between 5-7 year olds. so your estimate is right on.

some of course are far smarter. buddy of mine had a dog that he said knew about 900 words, could understand complete sentences. i loved that dog.

39 posted on 02/07/2013 10:16:21 PM PST by Secret Agent Man (I can neither confirm or deny that; even if I could, I couldn't - it's classified.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 21 | View Replies]

To: DeFault User
Densa, sounds about right.

Our Chow can be the MASCOT. She is as dumb as a Box of Barbara Boxers, unless food is involved of course.

40 posted on 02/07/2013 10:25:04 PM PST by Kickass Conservative (I only Fear a Government that doesn't Fear me.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 19 | View Replies]

To: ProtectOurFreedom

Ha...our lab/aussie mix thinks the same about the cat box....I’ve had to barricade it. But, I have to admit, our cat eats PRIMO food...(no grain)...so, she probably thinks it is good. (Yuck)

41 posted on 02/07/2013 10:27:28 PM PST by goodnesswins (R.I.P. Doherty, Smith, Stevens, Woods.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

We lost our Belgian Tervuren "Larsen" last fall to gastric torsion at only age 6. RIP Larsen. He got on two bears up to no good that were messing with our house. One was about 60 lbs and the second was about 250 lbs. He came close to getting buttage as both were running and jumped over the railing on our deck. I had a shotgun as backup, but did not want to hurt the bears if it was not necessary.

RIP Larsen.

Larsen on his throne

Rocky puppy photos:

Photobucket >p> Photobucket

42 posted on 02/07/2013 10:27:40 PM PST by MtnClimber (I did not vote for 0bama, someone else did that!)

>”It must be my night for synchronicity...I used to go with a guy who was the lead guitar for a band named Hat Trick”<

Was he Cheap?

(groan)

43 posted on 02/07/2013 10:34:19 PM PST by Kickass Conservative (I only Fear a Government that doesn't Fear me.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 22 | View Replies]

We did not get our current doggie (lab/aussie pound dog) until she was about 2 years old, 10 years ago. What has been amazing is that she has kept learning....I thought dogs had to be taught things in the first few years or it was a lost cause. But, she learns new words, especially around food, of course...ie treat, happy hour, yogurt. She and I have done about 10,000 miles of power walking in the past 10 years....and the first day I got her I would say, “left” or “right” for every turn. She knows and follows that, when she WANTS to. Not looking forward to losing her. She has been the best.

44 posted on 02/07/2013 10:40:58 PM PST by goodnesswins (R.I.P. Doherty, Smith, Stevens, Woods.)

Nice bike. Scary dog. What cemetery are you in ?

45 posted on 02/07/2013 10:56:07 PM PST by PLMerite (Shut the Beyotch Down! Burn, baby, burn!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

Folks mistake smart for being able to pick up commands. It reminds me of a story about ants. A dead ant gives out a smell of formic acid. The ant colony would diligently bury an ant that smelt of formic acid. Folks thought of this to mean ants know death and could comprehend the attendant diseases that would spread in the colony due to a dead body. But when the scientists poured formic acid on live ants, the other ants would carry them off to the grave and bury them kicking and screaming! Smart should be exclusively reserved for acts show the ability to put two things together to arrive at a conclusion. For dogs I prefer easily trainable.

46 posted on 02/07/2013 11:08:03 PM PST by raj bhatia

Ok, i swear this is true. Tonight i was in my jaccuzzi, after my 3rd whiskey and water. It was dark outside and the moon wasn’t out. It was dark and the stars were amazing.
So I look over at the patio and see my dog Charlie sitting there, looking straight up at the stars just like i was.

That dog is flat smart.

47 posted on 02/07/2013 11:35:36 PM PST by DesertRhino (I was standing with a rifle, waiting for soviet paratroopers, but communists just ran for office.)

To: raj bhatia

Bullcrap. Tonight i was in my jaccuzzi, after my 3rd whiskey and water, drunk as a lord. It was dark outside and the moon wasn’t out. It was dark and the stars were freaking amazing.
So I look over at the patio and see my dog Charlie sitting there, looking straight up at the stars just like i was.
The dog was studying the stars. I saw it with my own eyes and almost couldn’t believe it myself.

That dog wasnt following any command. It was intelligent.

48 posted on 02/07/2013 11:41:52 PM PST by DesertRhino (I was standing with a rifle, waiting for soviet paratroopers, but communists just ran for office.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 46 | View Replies]

To: Kickass Conservative

Yeah and he had the sunglasses to prove it.

;D

49 posted on 02/08/2013 12:06:13 AM PST by Salamander (We're all kinds of animals comin' round here...occasional demons, too.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 43 | View Replies]

To: PLMerite
Rosehill.

One of my favorite places in the world.

50 posted on 02/08/2013 12:16:06 AM PST by Salamander (We're all kinds of animals comin' round here...occasional demons, too.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 45 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-5051-100101-118 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson