Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Unaffectionate Man, How to Hold Hands, and Suicidal Ex-Boyfriend
Dear Mrs Web Weekly Dating Advice Column ^ | Monday, July 29, 2002 | Dear Mrs Web

Posted on 07/29/2002 5:14:08 AM PDT by mlmr

Personal Advice Columns

Home          Daily Column          Dating Column          Email

Daily Advice Column

Dating Advice Column

Email Dear Mrs. Web

Daily Advice Archives

Dating Advice Archives

Bookshelf

Toys and Games

Favorite Links

Topic Archives 

Marriage 

Dating 

Children 

Teen 

Infants 

In-Laws 

Family 

Work 

Neighbors 

Community 

Parenting 

Personal Issues 

Spiritual/Ethical 

Miscellaneous 

Archives by Date

to find past Dear Mrs. Web Columns

Opinion

Dear Mrs Web-sters

Newsletter

Press Reports

Fan Mail

Daily Dear Mrs. Web

email alert

How to Email

Dear Mrs. Web

Newsprint Columns and Column Linking Information

Privacy Statement

Disclaimer

Contact Information

Copyright Information

Weekly Dating Column

Featured Book

Finding the Love of Your Life: Ten Principles for Choosing the Right Marriage Partner

Another reader recommended book and a treasure for any one looking for a forever life-mate.  You can also have the excellent workbook: Highly recommended by Dear Mrs. Web

Unaffectionate Man,

How to Hold Hands,

and

Suicidal Ex-Boyfriend

Dear Mrs. Web,

My boyfriend and I (in our mid-fifties) have dated on and off for 5 years. We have a good relationship, and, enjoy a lot of the same things. I am attractive, shapely, and fit. I enjoy kissing and cuddling; I love that feeling of closeness.

My boyfriend very rarely kisses or cuddles me, except hello and goodbye. When I bring the topic up, he says that he does what he feels like doing, and, when I  mention the lack it makes him feel that he has to do it on demand. He said that if I want him to be more demonstrative, then I have to work towards that goal.  He says that I should consider what it would take for me to entice him into kissing me.

I think that kissing and cuddling are natural for two people in love. I feel that my boyfriend is not sufficiently attracted to me. Why is he like this and what should I do?

I think you have a man who equates kissing and cuddling with sex. There are men like that. They are not demonstrative in any way. It sounds like he is not taking any responsibility to change to meet one of your needs, but is instead placing all the responsibility on you. Is that what you want??

You need to decide what you can live with if he cannot or will not change.

Dear Mrs. Web,

How do you hold hands? Does the girls thumb go under the males thumb?

What a refreshing letter!

Your thumbs go where they are most comfortable for both of you.

Thank you, Dear Mr. Web, for letting me borrow your thumbs while I experimented.

Dear Mrs. Web,

I am 16 and just broke up with a guy who is 20. We dated for 3 months. I was his first girlfriend. He became very attached and wanted to settle down and have kids. He was trying to get a place fixed up to live in on his own. He wanted me to come live with him. My parents would not have liked that and I don't want to settle down yet.

He does not understand why we broke up and thinks there is another guy or that I am not interested in guys. I saw him at the store the other day when I was with friends and he just turned and left. I just want to be his friend.

What if he messes his life up or does something stupid because of me? I asked him one day if he would ever hurt himself after we broke up and he said probably if nothing was going right in his life. Sometimes I wish that I had never gone out with him. But this is just another thing in life to learn from, right?

You are not responsible for this young man’s future. Only he has control over his reaction to your breakup. You need to have have your parents alert his family and the authorities if he threatens to hurt himself or you.

If you are breaking up with him you cannot remain friends, you need to release him.

This problem is the result of indiscriminate dating. Dear Mrs Web believes that one should not date until one is ready for marriage.

Best,

Dear Mrs. Web

Be Famous With Dear Mrs. Web!!

A national women’s magazine with a circulation of 1.8 million has a column used to solve real life couple conflicts.  At this time issues about

holiday conflicts are needed for the December issue.  In the column a couple explains their relationship problems and experts offer advice. The publication has contacted Dear Mrs Web looking for couples under the age of 45 who would be willing to participate and be photographed. Email Dear Mrs Web and we will forward your name to the editor involved in this project.

Read More Dating Columns

Top of Page

Contact her today

© 2000, 2001, 2002 Dear Mrs Web Industries.

Direct corrections and technical inquiries to tech@dearmrsweb.com

All other inquiries to info@dearmrsweb.com

TOPICS: Miscellaneous
KEYWORDS:
What about unaffectionate women?
1 posted on 07/29/2002 5:14:08 AM PDT by mlmr
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
General/Chat
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson