Skip to comments.Six Ways To Know That White People Control Your Destiny.
Posted on 05/11/2014 11:08:58 PM PDT by 2ndDivisionVet
Lets be clear: I dont hate white people. In fact, many of my best friends are white (yes, that was a joke, since I hear this often said about black people). I have a view of white America that is not built on being unnecessarily angry at anyone, but I have no fear about being justifiably disappointed by the lack of accountability being taken for the role that white America has played in creating the condition of my people: We fill up the prisons for things that white guys get away with all the time, we are overrun with poverty as white families enjoy the wealth that was stolen from our ancestors, and black kids are blowing each others brains out with guns that politicians and wealthy people are allowing to be sold in black neighbhorhoods rather than their own.
There is plenty to be upset about and we shouldnt be afraid to say it. I wont even talk about the massacre on Black Wall Street, thatll make me so angry that wont even be able to finish this article.
But heres the thing: After youre done being mad and making your case, its important to realize one undeniable fact: Nobody cares what you think unless you make them. The Democrats would rather march for gay marriage and immigration than take serious stands on mass incarceration and black unemployment (whens the last time you heard a prominenti-hate-white-people Democrat make the black unemployment crisis a top priority? If this were happening to white people, it would be the top story on the news every day of the week). No one cares that nearly half of all black men cant find a decent jobs or healthcare. Nobody cares when our kids are uneducated and left unable to compete for scarce resources and opportunities. The only thing that matters is whether or not we care about ourselves enough to fight.
But some of us still believe that the man controls our lives. Were led to think that some invisible hand determines whether were going to be happy or sad, whether were going to be wealthy or whether were going to win. If history has told us anything, its that other people DO NOT want us to win. Its up to us to decide how our story is going to end.
So, here are a few ways to know if youre allowing racist white people to control your destiny.
1) You spend the majority of your time complaining about things that white people will and wont do for you: Have you ever noticed that person who loves saying, You know, the white folks wont let us do it, let me tell you about the white folks on my job, or Theyll never let a black person go that far in the company! In fact, many of us have made these statements on multiple occasions (I know I have). But when I came to my senses, I realized that this line of thinking, after a while, can be counter-productive.
Yes, racism gives us a great deal to be upset about, I speak about racism all the time. But every time we complain about a problem, we should at least start seeking out ways to overcome the problem in our personal lives. Sitting around and festering in your misery is not the way to create the life you really want, so there must come a point when you are busier finding solutions and healthy distractions than you are focusing on the thing thats causing you so much stress.
When the racists in my job at Syracuse University were treating me unfairly, I decided to start my own business and triple my salary by becoming an entrepeneur. An easy cure for racism was knowing that Id found a way to win and had no reason to upset with the jealous bigots down the hall. I refused to let them drag me to the insane asylum.
Hopelessness is a tempting sedative to ease the pain of difficult situations, but we must avoid the temptation of this drug at all costs.
2) You get upset when white people dont like you or are afraid of being labeled the angry black man/woman: Its very difficult to challenge abusive conditions while at the same time maintaining favor with the descendants of your historical oppressors. In other words, white America will never congratulate us for fighting for true equality (thats why they dont EVER mention Malcolm X in most white-funded black history museums): For white America to give us permission to excel is like a basketball team cheering on their opponents for scoring the most points. There is a difference between someone LIKING you and someone RESPECTING you. Standing up for yourself may earn you well-deserved respect, but it is not usually going to win you very many friends.
This is where self-esteem comes into play. If you love yourself, then you dont need someone else to love you. If you are loved by your own people, then you dont need the racist down the hallway to think youre a good guy. In my own life, I can say that getting love and support from other black people eased the stress I felt when my white colleagues tried to tell me that I was inferior to them (of course I told them to go to hell when they said it). Our speaking honestly and forthrightly about the injustices endured by our people might cause some to naturally complain about our behavior. But if we show up as a mighty collective force, they will get nervous when they see us coming. Thats what I mean by RESPECT.
Theres an old saying that Great women are RARELY well-behaved the same thing is true for great black people.
Its hard to get whats yours while being polite about it. Sometimes, youve got to be willing to FIGHT.
3) You predict your future success by whether or not youve gained favor with powerful white people or establishments: Its easy to think that befriending the right billionaire can get us ahead, or that gaining favor with our superiors might open doors for us in the future. These factors may help us along the way, but we cant forget that there are typically many ways to skin the same cat. This means that, even if these relationships dry up, there are other ways for us to achieve our personal objectives without hoping to receive a blessing from some benevolent white guy.
There are some of us who feel that the grip of white power is so great in America that there is barely any reason to get out of bed in the morning. I feel sorry for those who are so mentally defeated that we think the racists hold the keys to our future.
In fact, I remember a girl I knew in college who told me I dont know why you study so hard every day, you are only going to go as far as white people want you to go
I saw this poor woman recently. She only went as far as white people wanted her to go. Unfortunately, her defeatist thinking had turned her entire life into one failed effort after another, mainly because she felt that other people controlled her future. I actually feel sorry for her.
Bust through barriers, Never Ever bow to them. You are not meant to be a slave
4) You are convinced that being a polite, well-behaved negro is the thing that separates you from the rest of us: Of course there is merit to being a good person in general, but dont fall for the misconception that black people are only punished or denied opportunities because we are lazy or unethical. One of the reasons its so difficult to fight the mass incarceration epidemic is because millions of blacks are convinced that those criminals dont deserve any rights at all. However, the tide is turned once they have their own confrontation with police and realize just how easy it is for a black man to be arrested (You hear that Henry Louis Gates?)
In academia, Ive seen many black scholars fall for the misconception that their university had never hired or promoted an African American in their department because every black person whod ever applied for the job was either lazy or unqualified. We often sit idly by and watch another person of color get pulled through the mud because we believe that if we quietly mind our own business, well be safe from harm. Unfortunately, when we are convinced that the rest of our people are denied opportunities because they are all less capable than ourselves, we are feeding right into white supremacist outcomes. This is why so many corporations are able to boast horrifically discriminatory hiring records without so much as a peep from black employees about such a grave injustice.
5) Youre fearful of being associated with too many other black people on the job: I once had a colleague who told me that she deliberately avoided associating with other black people at work because she didnt want to receive a hostile reaction from her white co-workers. Unfortunately, her strategy only served to dilute our collective power when she was on the verge of being fired from her position. By isolating herself in this way, she made it easier for her opponent to attack her.
Remember that there was a reason that it was once illegal for slaves to congregate in large groups. There is also a reason that police typically investigate when large numbers of black teenagers gather together in one location. It is due to a fear of collective action and what might happen if we were to actually stick together. Black people are amazing when we work in unison.
6) You believe that white is almost always better:
Some of us hold onto an interesting double standard when it comes to whites: We think that white businesses are more efficient than black ones. We believe that white universities are better than HBCUs. Well spend $250 at Walmart, but gripe about spending $25 with a black-owned company. Collective economics is not always our strong suit.
Have you ever noticed that white people are never clamouring to attend our universities the way we fight to get into theirs? They also dont spend a lot of time worrying about what we think or asking us for support (other than Democrats using black votes in order to stay in power). Now mind you, we have a right to demand things from whites, such as reparations for both slavery and the War on Drugs, but we cant allow their reactions to us to determine how we are going to map out our future.
White is not always better, we know this. Yes, they have talent like the rest of us and access to expertise and resources, but there is something deathly wrong with a community that is as determined as ours to give our resources away to the descendants of our historical oppressors and to also lean on them for advice. In fact, opression breeds mental illness, and many of us are infected. Racial harmony in America is not going to be achieved through any government program or by holding hands and singing We Shall Overcome. Its going to occur only through the volatility of struggle and a commitment to being courageous enough to stand on our own two feet.
No one controls your destiny but you. When you fall down, keep getting back up. Never be afraid, never surrender and never take your eyes off the prize.
Thats how you create a future worth fighting for, and thats how you leave something for your children.
i reject most if not all of his premises.
Mmmm, it’s quite rambling, and I can’t figure out which side this guy is really on. Is he a racist or an individualist in charge of betting himself through hard work and promoting that ideal to all people, or just a bitter whiner that wants to kiss ass to liberals racists?
The human capacity for rationalization can sometimes be breathtaking.
He reaches the right conclusion eventually, but for all the wrong reasons.
Can’t find my ten foot pole.
but the entire rest of the article refutes that assertion.
One hundred percent USDA approved pure b/s. If the people he's complaining about want a better life they must first bite the bullet and get off the government plantation. They must first realize they, and they alone are responsible for and are in control of their own destiny. Education, marriage, family and work ethic. Oh, yeah. And belief in God and belief in self.
Faulty premises, because faulty assumptions. Does he seriously believe that there were really “racists” holding him back at a University, in NY state no less? In nearly any area of academe, it is ridiculously easy to prove discrimination; in most cases all you need to do (as a black person) is make the claim.
He’s proceeding from the assumption “all whites are inherently racist”, and explaining all his conclusions within that framework.
As noted, the extent to which a human will rationalize their situation is astounding.
Poor fella, dang me.
Now I’m confused. Are whites supposed to be blissfully living in utopian gun free zones, or gun toting militia rednecks?
This is the thinking resulting from the Obama legacy. Our nation is in deep trouble!
He would’ve been more convincing had he left off his opening paragraph.
drove a black guy 35 yrs old and his wife 2 mo. ago,,,home from a drunk downtown he works in blood research ...big shot clinic...nationally known...friend of mine 30 yrs”....works same org....blood research 20+ yrs....I new more than the black guy about his field....”from talking w my buddy and reading”..Im not exaggerating....he does conversions in the lab...over and over...for 15 yrs....makes about 70k....
few yrs ago got bit by a recluse...hidden...didnt see spider...middle finger....”Dr”.from india....makes at least 80k....snotty female....could not diagnose ....3 days later...”finger will have to come off”...self diagnosed correctly “out of desperation” from pictures on the net and symptoms...”not common “spider doesnt live this far north.....extreame debride...electric current anti biotics...saved finger....Both of these people are in position because they are Brown....Period...and they Get By.....dont they....for sure...and that is just stupid.
Ain’t you, the smarty pants.
Stories abound of people coming here, penniless and with no knowledge of English or our culture and five years later owning a business and in many cases becoming millionaires or more. Yet this individual wants to tell us that people who have had families here for three or four hundred years and presumably speak English and have some funds can’t make it here. I don’t know whether to laugh or cry.
The author sounds like a racist creep looking for reasons to justify his hatred of whitey.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.