Skip to comments.Columnist may have planted a dangerous seed for anti-gunners
Posted on 08/14/2012 5:03:35 PM PDT by marktwain
Conservative columnist Jacob Sullum may have planted a dangerous seed the other day when he suggested one can only hope tongue-in-cheek that in addition to criminal and mental health background check requirements, ones ideology must also be determined before that citizen is allowed to buy a gun.
Sullum offered the suggestion in a column originally published by Town Hall on Aug. 8 and more recently in the Desert Dispatch on Tuesday. He notes that the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence is now lobbying Congress and the two mainstream presidential contenders to do something about guns.
Writing about Sikh Temple mass killer Wade Page, Sullum noted, Private organizations such as the (Southern Poverty Law Center) and government agencies such as the FBI and the Department of Homeland Security already monitor the online activities of violent extremists. How hard would it be to collect that information in a database that could be used to check whether a would-be gun buyer harbors views that make him prone to murder?
Sullum then posits, Once the database is created, it can be regularly updated with the names of people who express views like Pages -- who talk about tyranny, hypocrisy, or a sick society, for instance, or who quote inflammatory proclamations like this one, frequently seen on the T-shirts and signs of right-wing lunatics: The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants.
Mr. Sullum should have, but he didnt, identify the author of that remark. It was a man identified by the authorities as a somewhat dangerous radical and subversive named Thomas Jefferson. Yeah, that Thomas Jefferson, the same raving loon who once wrote about physical and intellectual fitness thusly:
(Excerpt) Read more at examiner.com ...
The first time they tell a raghead that he can't buy a gun, the fit will hit the shan. It's just another "good idea" thought up by some stupid, braindead, moronic commie but it won't work in the real world.
Don’t forget credit histories. Those should also be part of the background check. Oh...and require a bachelor’s degree, at least. [Little irony and sarcasm there.]
Clarification of prohibited persons
The older Gun Control Act of 1968 prohibits firearms ownership in the US by certain broad categories of individuals thought to pose a threat to public safety. However, this list differed between the House and the Senate versions of the bill, and led to great confusion. This list was later augmented, modified, and clarified in the Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1986. The 1986 list is:
* Anyone who has been convicted in any court of, a felony punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year, excluding those crimes punishable by imprisonment related to the regulation of business practices.
* Anyone who is a fugitive from justice.
* Anyone who is an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substances.
* Anyone who has been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been involuntarily committed to a mental institution.
* Any alien illegally or unlawfully in the United States or an alien admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa. The exception is if the nonimmigrant is in possession of a valid hunting license issued by a US state.
* Anyone who has been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions.
* Anyone who, having been a citizen of the United States, has renounced his or her citizenship.
* Anyone that is subject to a court order that restrains the person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner or child of such intimate partner. (Added in 1996, with the Lautenberg Amendment.)
* Anyone who has been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence. (Added in 1996, with the Lautenberg Amendment)
* A person who is under indictment or information for a crime (misdemeanor) punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding two years cannot lawfully receive a firearm. Such person may continue to lawfully possess firearms obtained prior to the indictment or information, and if cleared or acquitted can receive firearms without restriction.
“Sorry; I have to disagree about the bachelors degree, and especially those with a masters or doctorate. From personal experience I have found that these types of people treat a fire arm like it was a squirt gun or worse.”
May I ask what personal experiences have led you to believe that those with advanced college degrees have higher crime rates(if that is what you are implying).
Jacob Sullum suffers from some kind of mental disorder; probably a mother complex...
Leftists shouldn’t be allowed to buy guns. They don’t believe in it.
Oh, and those accused of certain misdemeanor crimes. Forgot that one (as per items on the list from the Violence Against Women Act passed by both socialist, anti-family political parties in Congress). And why don’t we eliminate Second Amendment rights for all who are unemployed? That way, most of those (we) who are not receiving incomes from government will be stripped of their (our) Second Amendment rights. [Loaded with irony and sarcasm.]
As for politics, I’m a pro-family anti-socialist. There’s no political party for pro-family anti-socialists. All in politics are fighting each other for the declining pile of debt. As for Second Amendment rights and criminals: time served, rights respected and observed. Most dangerous criminals should be executed to begin with. Same for the incompetent. Bring back the insane asylums and keep the more dangerous kooks where they can be watched.
Political folks have been hysterical and shrieking to end this or that scary thing for decades. Bad things aren’t going to end. But bring back and enforce morality as was done more than a couple of hundred years ago, rates of violent crimes will go way down.
You might have missed where I wrote, “[Little irony and sarcasm there.]” Agreed. I was criticizing recent policies made by the bipartisan, socialist elite folks in our country over the last few decades (just about everyone active in politics). They’re hysterical.
You and I know the war on drugs is a joke when only black people apparently are allowed to sell drugs downtown flashing their cricket phones around.
We are being FARC’ed and Fast and Furious’ed.
A lot do believe in it, only they believe that only they should have the guns.
I think leftist should have to pass a citizenship test before they can be trusted to carry a no 2 pencil.
Was he reading FR before wrote that? Because it includes just about every Freeper who's ever lived. Not to mention about 99% of all the people on every single gun forum on the internet.
Sorry; missed the sarcasm tag, my bad.
Unless you were being sarcastic. The liberals would never consider telling a raghead they couldn't buy a gun. However they would have no problem telling a Tea Party person that their ideology is dangerous and you can't own a gun
The SPLC is a compromised organization. They’re not neutral. Of course, neither are the FBI or DHS. Both, along with every Exec. Branch agency are simply extensions of the politics from the WH.
Just another attempt by the leftist aka progressive gun haters, to ban a right.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.