Skip to comments.The List: Unnecessarily Shut Down by Obama to Inflict Public Pain
Posted on 10/06/2013 1:10:00 PM PDT by whitedog57
What is this horrid government shutdown I keep reading about? It isnt for Federal employees, since the House passed legislation paying all non-essential Federal employees that were furloughed for their missed time. (I President Obama signs it, that is).
Stated differently. Non-essential Federal employees received a taxpayer-funded vacation.
The government shutdown is a way for the Administration and Senate to punish Americans for Republicans not rubber-stamping the funding of Obamacare.
John Nolte has created a list of unnecessary shutdowns.
1. Treatments for Children Suffering From Cancer The GOP have agreed to a compromise by funding part of the government, including the National Institutes of Health, which offers children with cancer last-chance experimental treatment. Obama has threatened to veto this funding.
2. The World War II Memorial The WWII memorial on the DC Mall is a 24/7 open-air memorial that is not regularly staffed. Although the White House must have known that WWII veterans in their eighties and nineties had already booked flights to visit this memorial, the White House still found the resources to spitefully barricade the attraction.
The Republican National Committee has offered to cover any costs required to keep the memorial open. The White House refused. Moreover, like the NIH, the GOP will pass a compromise bill that would fund Americas national parks. Obama has threatened to veto that bill.
3. Furloughed Military Chaplains Not Allowed to Work for Free Furloughed military chaplains willing to celebrate Mass and baptisms for free have been told they will be punished for doing so.
4. Business Stops In Florida Keys Although the GOP have agreed to compromise in the ongoing budget stalemate and fund the parks, Obama has threatened to veto that funding. As a result, small businesses, hunters, and commercial fisherman cant practice their trade. While the feds have deemed the personnel necessary to keep this area open non-essential, the enforcement officers to ensure no business is done are essential.
5. Obama Blacks Out Sports, Entertainment Programming to Overseas Troops - The American Forces Network (AFN) that provides American sports and entertainment programming to our troops stationed abroad, has been shut down. For some reason, though, AFN News will still broadcast news, just not any of the popular and fun stuff. Camp David is essential, but popular programming for heroes overseas is non-essential.
6. Obama Closes D-Day Memorial The GOP have offered to compromise and fund the National Parks. Obama has said he will veto this compromise legislation. As a result, along with 24 other military cemeteries, the D-Day memorial in Normandy has been barricaded.
7. Obama Tries to Close Privately-Funded Mt. Vernon Although George Washingtons Mt. Vernon estate is privately funded, the feds blocked visitors from entering the parking area because the Park Service maintains the lot. Apparently, the New Media publicity resulted in the feds backing down.
8. Obama Closes Over 100 Privately-Managed Parks That Cost No Money to Run The U.S. Treasury actually makes money from the rent paid by a private company that employs about 400-500 camp workers and managers across about a dozen states. No federal money is used to operate these parks. No federal employees are used to staff these parks. Taxpayers make a profit from these parks. Still, Obama had them closed and as a result 400-500 employees and a private business are taking it in the neck.
9. Obama Closes Self-Sustaining Colonial Farm It Hasnt Supported Since 1980 For the first time in 40 years, the National Park Service (NPS) has finally succeeded in closing the Farm down to the public. In previous budget dramas, the Farm has always been exempted since the NPS provides no staff or resources to operate the Farm.
10. Obama Tries to Close State-Run Parks in Wisconsin The park service ordered state officials to close the northern unit of the Kettle Moraine, Devils Lake, and Interstate state parks and the state-owned portion of the Horicon Marsh, but state authorities rebuffed the request because the lions share of the funding came from state, not federal coffers.
11. Obama Closes Vietnam Memorial The GOP have passed compromise legislation that would fund national memorials and parks, and open them to the public. Obama threatened a veto. Apparently, the essential government employees are those erecting barricades, not those who could keep the memorial open.
12. Obama Closes Privately-Owned Hotel, Police Block Parking Lot - The operator of a 51-room inn located on U.S. government-owned land in North Carolina abandoned his defiant stance on Thursday to keep the property open despite being ordered to close as part of the federal government shutdown.
October is this inns prime season. The GOP have offered compromise funding opening the parks. Obama said he will veto that compromise. State troopers blocked customers from entering the inns parking lot.
13. Park Service Ranger: Weve Been Told to Make Life As Difficult For People As We Can Its a cheap way to deal with the situation, an angry Park Service ranger in Washington says of the harassment. Weve been told to make life as difficult for people as we can. Its disgusting.
14. Obama Forces Residents Out of Private Homes The government shutdown is being felt close to home for some locals. They say theyre being forced out of private homes on Lake Mead because they sit on federal land. The GOP have agreed to fund the parks. Obama has threatened a veto.
15. Acadia Park In Maine Shut Down Weve been training for two years at CrossFit for this hike no kidding, Hart said. She added that the shutdown should be as inconvenient for the Washington politicians who caused it as it is for average citizens.
The GOP have agreed to fund the parks. Obama said he will veto.
16. Historic Restaurant Open During Last Shutdown Forced to Close An iconic Philadelphia restaurant has been forced to close its doors and turn away booked parties because of the government shutdown.
Restaurant public relations director Molly Yun said they were notified there was a possibility a closure might happen, but they were allowed to remain open during the last government shutdown 17 years ago. The restaurant is part of the federal park system, which the GOP have agreed to fund. Obama said he will veto the funding.
17. Obama Shuts Down a Road That Goes Through CO Park: The Forest Service announcement, in turn, led the Pitkin County commissioners to order that Maroon Creek Road be shut down at the height of the colorful leaf-changing season. Ahead of what is to be one of the busiest weekends of the fall, the road is to be closed to vehicles at T-Lazy-7 Ranch, pending a resolution to the government shutdown.
The GOP have agreed to fund the parks. Obama said he will veto that compromise funding.
18. Residents Plan Protest of Cape Hatteras Closing Businesses and residents on the Outer Banks have planned a peaceful protest of the closure of Hatteras Islands beaches due to the government shut down. The U.S. House Wednesday passed a measure to reopen national parks and monuments. It will now go to the U.S. Senate.
In the unlikely event the Democrat Senate passes the bill, Obama has threatened a veto of any compromise legislation opening the parks.
19. Obama Blocks People From LOOKING at Mt. Rushmore Blocking access to trails and programs at South Dakotas most popular attraction was one thing, but state officials didnt expect Congress budget stalemate to shut down a view of Mount Rushmore.
The National Park Service placed cones along highway viewing areas outside Mount Rushmore this week, barring visitors from pulling over and taking pictures of the famed monument.
The cones first went up Oct. 1, said Dusty Johnson, Gov. Dennis Daugaards chief of staff. The state asked that they be taken down, and federal officials did so with some of them. The state was told the cones were a safety precaution to help channel cars into viewing areas rather than to bar their entrance.
20. Crucial USDA Websites Taken Down The U.S. Department of Agriculture has turned off its entire website in response to the government shutdown, leaving farmers, reporters and others with no way to access any of the agencys information online.
USDAs total website shutdown goes far beyond the response of other federal agencies, and seems to be part of an effort to make people feel the effects of the shutdown. Thursday morning calls to USDAs press office seeking an explanation were not answered.
This website is down and yet the ObamaCare and White House websites are up.
21. St. Louis Gateway Arch Closed The GOP have agreed to compromise legislation funding the parks. Obama has threatened a veto.
22. Park Shutdown Bounces Rowers from Potomac The ripple effect of a government shutdown has pushed rowers from the Potomac River.
Multiple high schools rent space at the Thompson Boat Center in Georgetown. But like other places controlled by the National Park Service, it closed Tuesday morning.
The GOP have agreed to compromise funding opening the parks. Obama has threatened a veto.
23. Thompson Boat Center Closed In DC The GOP have agreed to fund the parks. Obama said he will veto.
24. Obama Closes Military Commissary Military members, veterans and families who shop at local tax-free store are shocked to discover the stores doors locked; no progress to end stalemate in Washington.
While the government has deemed the White House chefs essential, working class military personnel have lost their tax-free store privileges. Military personnel and their families tell me that they have never lost these privileges in previous shutdowns.
25. Arizona Offers to Fund Grand Canyon, Obama Says Drop Dead Obama has ordered the Grand Canyon to stay closed, even after the state of Arizona and local businesses have offered to cover the costs necessary to keep it open. In other words, the shutdown isnt about the money its about hurting the American people just because he can.
John Nolte forgot San Franciscos Cliff House in the shut down list. Where you can watch Great White Sharks eating Seals.
Not to mention that President Obama kept his favorite DC-area golf course open (Andrews).
One of my students at George Mason, Yaser Ebrahimi, pointed out that http://www.time.gov/ is not working.
And one of my readers told me that the Amber Alert site is down too.
So, non-essential Federal employees will likely get reimbursed and only citizens are punished.
Meanwhile, the Federal debt skyrockets on a path to default.
I guess House Majority Leader John Boehner is ordered to obey in order to reduce the suffering of its citizens.
Of course the Amber Alerts are shut down! This is coming from a president who supports infanticide. Golf is a much higher priority.
Good thing we do not have many windmills and solar power plants on federal land — yet.
Also don't forget to cite how he has closed off the people's house from we the people.
The foreign enemy combatant in our White House feels perfectly safe declaring war against the people of the United States of America.
I blame the media. To them I say: He is absolutely confident that you are all just as treasonous as he is. And that’s saying a lot. So far you’ve given him no reason to believe otherwise. Someday you will answer for that, and not just to we the people.
This is Obama’s Caddyshack Shut-down...but on him it looks good...
Obama does seem to enjoy torturing Americans because he can’t get his way.
“Civil” disobedience, march on Washington, pickets at RATs houses, whatever it takes to cause maximum embarrassment to Elmer Fudd. That’s what us “despicable” Conservatives need to do. Dare them to arrest us. There are plenty of us retired folks who could use the exercise. Time and place?
“He is going all in as Provoker in Chief in the hopes that someone goes off so he can crack down and take control.”
Martial law. Pure and simple. Then he can rule into infinity.
Oh, and take out some crackahs to boot.
This is malevolent hate that Obama is showing for Americans, their beliefs, and their country.
Before he leaves he is going to defecate on everything we hold dear.
Calling the RNC TOMORROW! Requesting that they begin an information campaign with photos and interviews on every news outlet, nationwide. The MSM will not carry these outrageous shutdowns so the RNC needs to fund them, immediately. Obama would fold.
The Negro Nero little man President is VINDICTIVE and HATE FILLED.
Do you know what would really hurt the statists in this present time. If we the people just say “So What” every time they close something down. A shrug of the shoulders would be like knife in the heart to Harry Reid. Our problem is that too many of our fellow citizens are addicted to instant gratification. I can’t use a National Park today, I say so what I will go some other time. Now that would really shake up the parasites in DC.
Have a couple of photos. How do I insert them?
Nice list of the Democrat’s handy work during the Democrat’s shutdown.
Like many of you, I’ve grown weary of hearing most of the pundits and politicians pussyfooting around this subject. With the exception of Ted Cruz, Rand Paul, Mike Lee and a handful of others on the conservative side, none have come right out and said what every THINKING American KNOWS!
The fight over Obamacare is about stopping the unvetted, unqualified, narcissistic megalomaniacal former community organizer and tyrant in the White House from bringing about his transformation of America. That phrase was and is code among his dumbed down and/or uninformed supporters for creating a despotic Marxist redistributionist Utopia. That it has failed everywhere it has been attempted and left misery and death in its wake is of no concern to them. The magic Obama can make it finally work.
One element that may puzzle some of you is why more of the wealthy captains of industry and capitalists who ostensibly have the most to lose haven’t spoken out in opposition.
Two reasons (there may be more):
1. They believe they will be princes in the new order, their lives of wealth and ease little affected by the distress inflicted on the us down here, the mass of the great unwashed. They really should restudy the histories of those who collaborated with other tyrants who, once in firm control, dispatched those who had the resources and intellect to topple the new king once the inclination to do so took hold of them.
2. During the Cold War, the head of Citibank, one Walter Wriston, was asked why his New York based organization continued to provide financing to the tyrants running the Soviet Union and the slave states the USSR dominated. He replied that it made little difference to him what sort of government these nations had and his only concern was Can they pay their bills?
The WWII era Norwegians coined a real world name for those folks: Quisling.
When will the "news" media wake up?
'Retributionist' would work too.
“”Calling the RNC TOMORROW! Requesting that they begin an information campaign with photos and interviews on every news outlet, nationwide. The MSM will not carry these outrageous shutdowns so the RNC needs to fund them, immediately. Obama would fold.””
This absolutely needs to be done. It’s not enough for each story to be coming out piece meal - the whole picture needs to be shown ASAP. If it takes GOP congressmen/women going on TV every single day for interviews, get the message out there...
This is an excellent outline of what’s going on - “AND OBAMA HAS PROMISED TO VETO”!!! How much do you want to bet not one low information voter is aware of this?
“”They believe they will be princes in the new order, their lives of wealth and ease little affected by the distress inflicted on the us down here, the mass of the great unwashed””
I’ve always wondered what have they gained if this was to be proven true? So there’s a rich class ruling a poor class. What’s the use? The poor can’t contribute anything to their welfare so what do they gain? Never has made sense to me. Guess you would have to have a twisted mind to think there’s a positive outcome to ruining other peoples lives. That’s not a far stretch from everything we see today.
I seriously do not believe the MSM would allow interviews on these lawless shutdowns. I think it would be fantastic if the Republicans called an emergency press conference, with breaking news, information to be revealed at presser. LOL. Then just lay it all out.
“”If we the people just say So What every time they close something down. A shrug of the shoulders would be like knife in the heart to Harry Reid””
I don’t see that as the problem. I see it as forcing the administration to admit that what they have set in motion is the act of a spoiled brat or in this case as so many others back up obozo, a whole passel of spoiled brats!
There has to be a point where they realize how foolish their childish actions are. Just pointing out a few of the mishaps (Mt. Vernon for example) should be their clue that we consider them incompetent and unsuited to be on our payroll. To normal people, this should prove embarrassing. I think we know if anyone associates themselves with obozo, they are not normal.
“”I seriously do not believe the MSM would allow interviews on these lawless shutdowns. I think it would be fantastic if the Republicans called an emergency press conference, with breaking news, information to be revealed at presser. LOL. Then just lay it all out.””
Yesssssss! Every single day! Every day, a different member of Congress! We need all of them out there; not just the few standing up now. Not just the familiar names.
Think of all that food inside the commissaries rotting on the shelves. Surely, some general with balls would at the very least put the perishables out on the sidewalk to be taken home for free.
Milk for the children!!!
Just one ignorant and untrue remark can destroy the credibility of your entire list - fix it.
Military golf courses are not supported by public funds, they are paid for by their customers. They must pay for the irrigation water that they use and everything else. This is why they are called a "non-appropriated fund activity". See the difference. While the Park Service may be stupid enough to close venues that do not require public funds to operate, the military is not that stupid.
One other minor correction. Military chaplains have not been furloughed. The dispute is over contract civilian clergy who stand in when military chaplains are not available. Some continue to work, others don't, depending on the terms of the specific contract. All military contractors are in the same boat: some are working others are not.
First, resize your photos in your “My Pics” photos folder to around 750 pixels or less in width, then upload them to a free website like tinypic.com then load them onto their website and paste the longest link (scr= etc.) to FR.
I hope your right. I’m more of a cynic when it comes to people. Where others see shiny happy people, I see morons and goatropers. When others visit Disney and enjoy communing with their fellow man, I can’t wait to get the hell out of there and away from a sea of cretins. It is probably my biggest fault. I admit it, I’m a misanthrope. Because of this, I always feel these political showdowns will not end well, due to my assumption that the majority of the public are morons.
I don’t have a list :)
Those kept down in that system DO have the same function as worker bees and drones in the bee hive: To serve the queen (and the princes).
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.