Skip to comments.
Lacrosse players, lawyers await results of second round of DNA testing
News&Observer (Raleigh NC) ^
| Benjamin Niolet and Joseph Neff, Staff Writers
Posted on 04/20/2006 5:12:15 AM PDT by Perdogg
DURHAM - The results of more DNA testing in the investigation of a reported rape at a Duke University lacrosse team party are due any day, a lawyer for one of the two indicted team members said Wednesday. Bill Cotter, who represents Collin Finnerty, said prosecutors are required by law to hand the results over. After a first round of tests comparing DNA taken from 46 members of the team with evidence collected from the accuser, District Attorney Mike Nifong ordered another round done by a lab with capabilities beyond the state's, Cotter said.
Attorneys for the team said the first batch of tests showed that none of the players' genetic material was found on the woman.
Finnerty, 19, and Reade William Seligmann, 20, were indicted by a grand jury Monday and arrested the next morning. They are accused of raping and sodomizing the woman, who was hired through an escort service to dance at the party. Nifong has said investigators are working on charging one more person.
Lawyers representing team members have said receipts from an ATM, a restaurant and a taxi would help show that one of the two men was not at the party when the woman says she was raped. They also say that photographic evidence supports the players' account -- that the woman was intoxicated and left after only a few minutes.
(Excerpt) Read more at newsobserver.com ...
TOPICS: Chit/Chat; Miscellaneous
KEYWORDS: duke; dukelax; durham; rape
posted on 04/20/2006 5:12:17 AM PDT
To: Howlin; Peach; OakOak; Locomotive Breath
posted on 04/20/2006 5:12:43 AM PDT
(entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem)
...second round of DNA testing
DA's gotta run those tests until he gets the result he wants?
posted on 04/20/2006 5:14:30 AM PDT
(Freedom isn't free, but the men and women of the military will pay most of your share)
that the woman was intoxicated and left after only a few minutes.
There were hired for two hours. I think they should demand a refund.
IMO this "trial" will not be about rape as much it will be about race. I think these boys are being setup at this point.
To date there is not any evidence I've seen that shows a rape occured in the time the accuser claims, nor any evidence point to the two boys.
Prosecutor, up for election in a predominately "African American" district...Hello!
Jesse Jackson paying for the accusers tuition...Hello!
These two boys just happen to come from the wealthiest families... Hello!
posted on 04/20/2006 5:31:35 AM PDT
(Words Mean Things...)
That was indeed a "news report". It allowed the facts to speak and without the article writer's spin. I suppose one could say since the defense lawyer had the last sentence; that was spin. It wasn't. It was a great signoff sentence "More to come; this ain't over yet".
posted on 04/20/2006 5:34:39 AM PDT
posted on 04/20/2006 7:54:41 AM PDT
posted on 04/20/2006 10:26:10 AM PDT
(We don't believe you, you need more people.)
* * WHAT's MORE LIKELY? * *
- She might be wrong about when she arrived.
- She may have been wrong about how long the Gang rape took place.
- She may not have a complete memory of the event yet.
- It may have been legit that it took her 31 hours to remember any details whatsoever and almost a month to ID ANYONE.
- She may have been wrong about having to run out of the building to escape her assailants.
- A Police Officer may have been wrong in his professional assessment that she was drunk.
- The 2nd Dancer may have not detected a Gang Rape on the same floor of a small house - or detected it from the subsequent behavior of the accuser.
- They may have have changed into Jackets before assaulting the women.
- They may have been calm getting into a cab, because not everyone acts the same after participating in a gang rape.
- They may have used fake names
- They may have manipulated the camera or film
- They may have pulled it off without leaving any DNA whatsoever (in a Gang-Rape sodomy?
- They may have drugged her.
- They may have requested 2 black strippers and perpetrated a hate crime.
- She may have neglected to say anything about a team or Duke students to the doctors and attending staff at Duke Medical center
- Her Father may have been mistaken when he initially said, in a lengthy interview that "she didn't tell us anything about it" which was in direct conflict with an interview where the accuser said her father came to visit her at the hospital and she stated she had to report the crime for him.
- She may have made an honest mistake when first reporting $2000.00 was in her missing purse.
- She may have been sober when arriving at the party and regularly makes a habit out of hopping around in one shoe (2 minutes after arriving).
- She may have not noticed when orally penetrated that her attackers were wearing condoms.
- She may have been smiling after the Gang-Rape due to incoherence - even though it doesn't match her account of the event.
So, the 20 aforementioned items may be true or this (1) may be true - SHE LIED.
posted on 04/20/2006 10:47:08 PM PDT
( ...The issue is C R E D I B I L I T Y)
Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual
posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its
management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the
exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson