Skip to comments.Wecht: Meds Killed Daniel Smith (Anna Nicole)
Posted on 09/27/2006 3:30:54 PM PDT by COUNTrecount
The death of Anna Nicole Smith's 20-year-old son Daniel was caused by a lethal combination of methadone, Zoloft and Lexapro, pathologist Cyril Wecht has revealed to PEOPLE exclusively.
Wecht said the drugs caused the cardiac dysrhythmia that led to Daniel's death. Wecht got the toxicology results from National Medical Services in Willow Grove, Pa., today.
Daniel Smith died in his mother's hospital room Sept. 10 while visiting her in the Bahamas three days after she gave birth to a baby girl named Dannielynn Hope.
Smith's longtime lawyer, Howard K. Stern, revealed Tuesday that he is the father of the little girl.
On Sept. 9, Daniel Smith arrived in Nassau to see his mother, with whom he'd always been extremely close. The family, including his newborn sister, spent time bonding in the hospital room that night. Daniel was seen tending to his mother around 6:20 a.m. on Sept. 10 but at 9:38 a.m. that day Anna Nicole woke up to find her son unresponsive.
Doctors were immediately summoned and tried for 22 minutes to revive Daniel without success. He was pronounced dead at 10:05 a.m.
Days after Daniel's death Anna Nicole's Bahamian attorney, Michael Scott, described her as "overwhelmed" by grief. "She's trying to come to grips with the depths of her despair," he said.
Stern, who appeared on Larry King Live Tuesday, said Anna Nicole's baby daughter is "the one thing that is really keeping her going.
"Through it all, even with all the pain, she has been a great mom, a very attentive mom," he said.
Methadone? Where did he get that?
fighting a heroin addiction?
You can get it in pill form by prescription from a pharmacy for pain, or get it illegally on the street. Heroin addicts are given a liquid form at methadone clinics. The pill form is very tricky and has caused many deaths -- apparently people take it thinking it is going to be like any other opiate, but ONE pill can kill an unexperienced user.
well, before he quit breathing he asked momma's attorney Stern "why am I getting so drowsy?"
then after he turned blue, momma accused someone "you caused this!", when Stern was the only one there....
An autopsy conducted by a competent forensic pathologist working for a judicial entity would carry far more credibility.
If this worthless,gold digging tramp winds up with serious $$$ from the probate courts then murder of a presumed heir to that money must certainly be kept under active consideration.
Anna paid for Wecht.
It is sad that a young heart can give out yet others live to 100.
methadone, Zoloft and Lexapro,
If there is a doctor out there that actually has medical records of all three of these being prescribed at the same time, I don't care what dosage, s/he is in way deep doo doo.
Given the circumstances of this case and the cast of characters involved,Wecht has as much credibility as would my plumber.
One would think you knew this woman personally.
She lost her son. Show some respect.
Methadone is also a pain killer. Used to alleviate cancer pain.
Didn't she sell pics the the Enquirer? She's makes trailer trash look good.
From another article I read: The fact that we have these drugs and the levels of the drugs overwhelmingly and most logically point to this being a tragic, accidental, drug-related death, Wecht told The Associated Press from his home near Pittsburgh. http://msnbc.msn.com/id/15036342
People in this country are murdered for pocket change. The dead kid was a potential (and in the eyes of the law,a "presumed") heir to what might prove somewhere down the road to be a 100 million dollar estate.
Given this,I wouldn't bet a single dime that there's no foul play involved here.
His explanation about the combination of drugs sounds ridiculous. It's similar to saying that multiple gunshot wounds suggest an accidental death. There's just so much about this whole mess that screams murder.
There was just a true crime mystery show on this week about a methadone overdose that killed a young woman while on a cruise with her boyfriend.
The girl's mother simply couldn't find out how it got into her system, as she was very vehemently anti-drugs.
As things unraveled, it turned out the BF had put his methadone (evidently, he was getting it for drug treatment - they seemed to imply through a lot of the show that he was "clean") in a NyQuil bottle to take it on the cruise, so they wouldn't question him about it.
So, it was possible she had taken some of the so-called NyQuil accidentally.
Just strange that methadone is all of a sudden becoming a death agent when I hadn't seen much about that before. It was also a factor in a L&O episode I missed most of this week.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.