Skip to comments.**The OFFICIAL Weekend Singles Thread***Jan 18-20 2008 - Home Remedies
Posted on 01/18/2008 4:54:24 PM PST by WFTR
Welcome to the Weekend Singles Thread
Okay, here's the story. I'm sick, and I'm grumpy. We don't have a planned topic for tonight, so I'm going to try to make a "good" from two "bads" or a "right" from two "wrongs."
I arrived home from Christmas vacation on the 29th of December with a sore throat. I spent the 30th, the 31st, and the 1st trying to get better but only got worse. I worked on the 2nd and 3rd. I was off the 4th through the 6th and actually got better. I wasn't 100%, but I was close. I was ready to start my new year. Last Friday, I was starting to feel a little bad again. I went to Wal-Mart to get drugs and orange juice. My orange tree gave me a nice crop this year. I shared some with my folks, but I'm glad that I saved a good supply for myself. They've been helpful. I spent last weekend trying to rest, get plenty of fluids, stay warm, and get healthy. I only got worse.
On Monday, I missed my first day of work. On Tuesday, I missed another. On Wednesday, I felt pressured to get back to work, so I went in the rain. I never made it to my office. I started coughing as someone driving through the plant stopped to offer a ride. The cold, wet day was too much for me, and I couldn't get any air. I ended up in the nurse's office for about an hour. They finally took me to my car, and I was okay to drive home. I haven't tried to return.
Today, I saw a doctor, and he gave me drugs. He gave me pills to kill any bacteria that could be causing the problem and an inhaler to reduce my congestion.
I've been FReeping a bit because I'm so concerned about the presidential race, but my head isn't working well. I'm not saying things as well as I'd like. I'm also running to be a delegate to our state convention. The state convention will determine which candidate really gets Louisiana's delegates. Otherwise, I've watched more Law and Order than I can stand. I haven't taken a walk in over two weeks. I don't look like a guy addicted to walking, but not being able to take a walk is making me crazy.
Now that you know the situation, here's what we'll do. I invite everyone to share their home remedies for colds, flus, stomach ailments, and anything else that they have in mind. Let's hear about everything from the standard chicken soup to those old herbalist cures that the mountain people knew in past generations. I may not get around to using this information, but maybe we can have some fun and exchange some folklore.
Two rum toddies
Two wool blankets
Drink toddies, sleep under blankets. Sweat out the fever by morning.
1. What's your favorite TV show to watch when you are sick? Is it different from what you'd watch when you are healthy?
2. When you are sick, are you more likely to cuddle with your pets because you want comfort or less likely because you are worried about giving them germs or even getting something extra from them?
3. When you are sick, do you really like to have someone to take care of you at all times or are you more thankful that being single allows you to lock the door and suffer in peace?
ya need some real nutrition...how about some Hot (Chinese) Chicken Noodle Soup....yummy.
its' the same...old standard Campbells chicken noodle soup.....w/ lots more (rich) chicken pieces/egg noodles....some veggies. :D
That sounds good!
Anyone got a remedy for kidney stones?
I've heard that alcohol in moderate doses is considered a remedy for them as well, but I don't know how well that remedy works.
Cranberry juice in mega-doses. The chemical in the juice is acidic and does a number on the stones.
I hardly ever watch broadcast TV. I pop a movie in the laptop, stick the headphones on, and enjoy - usually “Lord of thr Rings”, “300”, or some other action/aventure.
If the cats can stand the coughing or the constant thrashing around when I sleep...
Unfortunately, I have no privacy.
Do you watch the action/adventure movies regardless of your health or are they particularly appealing when you're sick?
For a cold, I take 500mg Vitamin C every 4 hours, lysine, zinc and the herb astragalus. And lots of chicken soup!
I do not have personal experience with this but I found this for you:
Wow, that’s quite a prescription. How did you find it?
I watch the same TV as usual when I’m sick - usually action/adventure/sci-fi/drama type stuff, although if I’m running out of stuff to watch I’ll look at the latest and greatest anime to see if there’s anything decent.
I don’t have pets =’(. I’d love a kitty though when I have my own house.
Hah. I don’t have much privacy or peace living in a dorm.
1) I like to watch funny sitcoms like Friends, Fraiser, King of Queens. I don’t get Everybody Loves Raymond anymore.
2) I don’t cuddle pets any more or less. But I put down a lot of extra food and water just in case I zonk out and go to sleep for a long time or just feel so miserable I won’t feel like getting up and taking care of them.
3) I guess I tell myself it is good to be alone. But truly oh how I’d love someone who would go shop for me and cook something or just check on me. I’ve never had that.
4) By the way, and I’ve said this for years and years, Campbell’s Chicken & Stars always brings me through. I sprinkle regular ground black pepper in it if I have it. That is definitely number 1. Number 2 would be RC Cola.
5) My favorite medicine is definitely Alka Seltzer Plus Cold.
I think there is something to that. Perhaps take a hot bath or long hot shower just before. Hot as you can stand.
For kidney stones, drink lots of distilled or filtered water and limit animal protein. My dad has had kidney stones twice. Sometimes, they can be quite painful. They say that the pain passing a stone comes close to the pain a woman feels during childbirth.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.