Skip to comments.1-2 Feet of Snow Saturday, Blizzard Conditions Possible - most snow since the Halloween Superstorm?
Posted on 12/10/2010 10:51:55 AM PST by MplsSteve
Latest Storm Headlines
* This has the potential to be the biggest snowstorm for much of Minnesota since Halloween, 1991.
* Potential for 1-2 feet of snow Saturday, with 2-5 foot drifts during the PM hours.
* Close to blizzard criteria - best chance of white-out conditions south/west of the metro area.
* Winter Storm Warning for much of Minnesota/Wisconsin. Blizzard Watch posted for southwestern MN.
* Get your errands/shopping done today, snow arrives late evening, between 8 and 10 pm, snow gets heavier and steadier as the night goes on - should be snowing heavily when we wake up Saturday morning.
* Conditions get worse as the day goes on tomorrow as winds increase and snow accumulates (even on the freeways and interstates). Temperatures will fall through the teens into the single digits - making it a light, powdery snow - prone to blowing and drifting.
* I know this is a mouthful, but travel simply isn't recommended Saturday and Saturday night. Never tell a Minnesotan not to travel, I get it. But the combination of snow/wind/falling temperatures will create truly treacherous conditions. If you run out of gas or go into a ditch tomorrow it could be more than just a minor inconvenience. With wind chill values dipping to -25 or lower it could quickly become life-threatening. Try to get your travel done by this evening, or plan on waiting until Sunday (afternoon) to get back on the highways.
* Wind chills by Saturday night dip down to -20 to -35, extreme danger zone.
Of course, for those of you in the Twin Cities area, you know that Paul Douglas can be a bit of an alarmist in his predictions.
Nonetheless. stay safe and stay warm!
Comments or opinions - anyone?
WELCOME TO FREE REPUBLIC’S MINNESOTA PING LIST!
146 MEMBERS AND GROWING...!
FREEPMAIL ME IF YOU WANT ON OR OFF THIS LIST!
>>>Comments or opinions - anyone?
2 hrs south they’re predicting only around 5” snow - with the bitter cold to follow... but, if the storm track goes a little bit south, we’ll get what they say you’re supposed to get.
“* Wind chills by Saturday night dip down to -20 to -35, extreme danger zone.”
Don’t think I’ll be complaining about the rain here in WA anymore. Stay warm.
Hey, it’s been pretty damn rough here too. Only got up to 71 degrees yesterday and got all the way down to 50 last night and I doubt it will break 70 today. Throw in a few clouds and it’s downright cold.
Much more of this global warming and we’re going to find ourselves in a new ice age!
Comments or opinions - anyone?
Why doesn’t somebody DO something about this!?!?!?
Only got up to 71 degrees yesterday
I take that back. I see you’re from Ca. Weather is the LEAST of your problems.
“Why doesnt somebody DO something about this!?!?!?”
I’m sure Amy Klobuchar will issue a press release or hold a press conference saying that she’s gonna get to the bottom of this “heavy snow issue” right away.
Women and minorities will be hardest hit.
They’re telling us up in Duluth that the brunt of it will be a bit south of here. Central Ws., like Hayward is going to really get dumped on.
Poor Sven Svengaard won’t be able to do outdoor weather reports for risk of getting buried in a snowdrift!!
Does she know how to start the snowblower?
biggest snowstorm for much of Minnesota since Halloween, 1991.
The Halloween storm was actually two storms back to back. I worked in a one story box back then with a door on the south side of the building. We literally had to dig a tunnel to get in when we returned after it was all over.
We’re doomed like Cancun!!!
“Cancun is hosting the U.N. conference on man-made climate change amid record cold temperatures”
The Halloween storm was also the kicker for “The Perfect Storm” off the east coast. A tropical system was slowly moving up the WLANT when it was jacked up by that arctic outbreak.
they say this thing is going to swing through indiana. i can’t find any solid forecast of how far south it may go. some say it swipes north of indy, others say it could get closer to the ohio river. amount of ice and snow i get is going to depend on where this beast tracks. i want a white christmas but i do not want to be iced in for days since we have tickets to the mannheim steamroller concert next week.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.