1. 90%+ of gunshow sales are by an FFL.
2. The ones that are private sales are “private sales” and the sale has nothing to do with being at a gunshow. It could be at a home or parking lot anywhere. The same as if I sell my brother a gun.
3. Most private firearms that you see at gunshows are long-guns. Trying to even find seven private pistols to purchase at a gunshow would be near impossible.
4. Laws concerning state line violations still apply to private sales.
That said, ATF agents love to hang out at gunshows. If someone was walking around buying that many private sale firearms, the ATF would be taking pictures and questioning them.
5. So how would the ATF enforce a background requirement on private sales, if they can’t enforce the stateline-transfer laws now on the books? Without 100% registration there is no way to do this. e.g. you and I walk to your car and exchange money for gun, ATF shows up and charges us. How do they prove that I didn’t arrive with the gun? They must prove that it was your gun. How can they do that without registration? They can’t.
6. It is all about registration and confiscation. The inability to enforce the new requirements is the next step to seeking total registration.
>>Trying to even find seven private pistols to purchase at a gunshow would be near impossible.
Most gunshows around here (NE FL) have a few tables set up by people who are private sellers. They have anywhere from 2 to as many as 10 handguns (usually six or so). Their prices are ridiculous and they tell everyone who stops to look that “you can get these without paper”. These people represent the real “gun show loophole” becuase they paid for that table and that makes them a business, IMO. But, the ATF people at the show just walk right past them.
Now, the gummint wants to use that easy-to-close loophole to ban the private sale of all firearms. But, even with these unlicensed table vendors, almost all guns sold at our gunshows are through FFLs and have a background check because the licensed dealers have better stuff at much lower prices.